• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Effectiveness of Gear Abilities - Movement Speed w/ testing

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
EDIT 2: Looks like the exact numbers have been found from the strategy guide. This could still prove useful for what is and isn't affected, but I'd suggest using these for judging effectiveness.
Abilities Explained
Equipment Skill Numbers

Got as far as I can with damage/defense, so I decided to go into the lab on the next set of abilities people are most likely to use - Speed.

For this I used the test area again. It has some convenient place dotted lines on the ground, which serve as good enough visual clues to make a start/finish line. I started from the point you spawn in, then moved straight until the line before the balloon you would bump into. In retrospect, it probably would be more accurate to test as long a distance as possible, but this will do for now.

Please note the areas where errors in the data could occur: Not moving exactly straight or not getting a frame on the start/finish line.

Once again, I only tested Main Abilities here, as I do not yet have enough Sub speeds to test with. Also note that Run Speed and Swim Speed are two separate abilities.

EDIT: These numbers are just the times it takes to travel between 2 points. I don't have a sure way to measure distance outside of just assuming in order to get a m/s value. A hard value would be awesome, but I don't have a good enough setup to get exact times anyways, in which case nailing down exact amount of increased speed would be impossible. If somebody can get better data, as well as how the minor abilities interact with the diminishing returns, that would be awesome.

Now let's analyze the data a little bit.

If we look at this we can see that Run Speed gives a larger bonus than Swim Speed. However the Swim Speed is still fairly strong.

Looking at movement while firing shows that a weapon has a hard value penalty every time you start shooting. Also some weapons slow you down a little (Jr.) others slow you down almost completely (Blaster).

The penalty for Stealth Swim is pretty low, and could most likely be offset with just a Sub Swim Speed.

The Kraken is affected by Swim Speed, but not Stealth Swim, or unclaimed turf. I'm unsure if enemy ink slows the Kraken down at all.

I also wanted to see if acceleration could be increased, since that would be most important in a bob and weave ink fight. As far as I could see, it is unaffected. The acceleration time is extremely low however. I'm fairly certain that you hit top speed before your screen is flooded with the white lines.

Last up is wall climbing. For this I used the wall directly behind you when spawning in. It has 2 divots in the texture which I used as a start/finish line. I also took a run up to have speed before reaching the start line. The data shows that climbing time is constant (account for margin of error), however your momentum seems to transfer from the ground. What that means is that if you start climbing with a high speed, you should be able to go faster than the standard climbing speed for a short while.

Lastly, spamming the jump button while wall climbing makes a good difference.

That's all for now. I will look into other abilities as the need arises.

Last edited:

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Nice. It seems to make a great difference overall, maybe we'll see more speed boost gear being used now.

Seleir

Senior Squid
NNID
Yoshigold
i wanna ask you something.... for the rollers the test is the same, same speed ecc?

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
i wanna ask you something.... for the rollers the test is the same, same speed ecc?
Rollers are not affected by Run Speed Ups. Tried stacking as much as I could with no difference.

Just tested this quickly. Ran past 6 lines in the test area, while aiming at the ground. It is hard to run exactly straight, but I think this is enough evidence that you get a buff still while shooting. Gonna be harder to nail down exact numbers for these kind of things.

You still get a speed penalty for firing, it is noticeable even without timing it exactly.

All in all, I'm not sure how useful Run Speed will be, especially with how creative you can be in Squid Form.

I guess I should also note that I am recording at 30fps on an Elgato, and then timing in Movie Maker.
Assuming each roller will have its own speed based on the maneuverability stat. Which is a shame for the Dynamo especially.

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
This is fantastic. Any chance of adding information for sub abilities?
I'll update with Sub Abilities as well as just combining everything to see max potentials, unless somebody beats me to it. It will have to wait until I get a bigger stock of unlocked gear.

So far I've been trying to stick with these for my Subs: Swim Speed/Run Speed, Ink Saver(Main), and Special Fill. Since these come in to play often, and a small boost can be beneficial over a long period of time.
With Ink Resistance and Stealth Swim on my Shoes/Shirt for my Mains.

I'm a lunatic with a roller however.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
btw I read what I had posted wrong. It was up to, not by.
Anway, by going by this... -pm's you-

@Katastrphik you should be able to more run spd using sub abilities

Last edited:

iLink

Inkling
NNID
RemiKz
Wondering if anyone can confirm something for me since I lack the proper gear to do so.

Was trying to stack enough attack buffs in order to reduce the amount of shots it would take to down an enemy.

This is how many shots it takes by default to down someone at point blank with no attack buffs:

Splattershot Pro - 3
Dual Squelcher - 4
Aerospray - 5
N Zap - 4

My max attack gear that I can equip is 3 main/ 1 sub attack buffs. The interesting part I noticed is the amount of damage each shot did when I wore this.

Splattershot Pro - 49.9
Dual Squelcher - 33.3
Aerospray - 24.9
N Zap - 33.3

As you can see, all of these were just one decimal value away from making them 1 shot less to down someone. What I am wondering is if these values are actually a cap that you can't go over, or if I adding 1 more sub attack buff would allow me to down someone with 1 less shot.

EDIT: Upon more testing, it seems that every weapon has a cap to how much damage each shot can do to not allow you to kill an enemy with 1 less shot. This means that attack buffs are pretty much strictly for countering opponents using defensive buffs, which can allow them to survive an extra shot with 3 main def buffs.

Last edited:

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
Y
Wondering if anyone can confirm something for me since I lack the proper gear to do so.

Was trying to stack enough attack buffs in order to reduce the amount of shots it would take to down an enemy.

This is how many shots it takes by default to down someone at point blank with no attack buffs:

Splattershot Pro - 3
Dual Squelcher - 4
Aerospray - 5
N Zap - 4

My max attack gear that I can equip is 3 main/ 1 sub attack buffs. The interesting part I noticed is the amount of damage each shot did when I wore this.

Splattershot Pro - 49.9
Dual Squelcher - 33.3
Aerospray - 24.9
N Zap - 33.3

As you can see, all of these were just one decimal value away from making them 1 shot less to down someone. What I am wondering is if these values are actually a cap that you can't go over, or if I adding 1 more sub attack buff would allow me to down someone with 1 less shot.

EDIT: Upon more testing, it seems that every weapon has a cap to how much damage each shot can do to not allow you to kill an enemy with 1 less shot. This means that attack buffs are pretty much strictly for countering opponents using defensive buffs, which can allow them to survive an extra shot with 3 main def buffs.
You are correct, no weapon can reduce the shots to splat. However Damage Ups might have some situational use: Countering Defense Ups, assisted splatting, shooting from beyond your effective range, and I'm sure others.

If you want to see a quick-reference doc, check this thread.
Or just the Doc itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom