The Game Awards: Splatoon Best Multiplayer + Shooter Game

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Splatoon certainly deserves both those awards phard. Not only did it. innovate a supposed static genre, but also proves as one of the most wonderful multiplayer experiences and without voice chat, wow!

Im sad it didnt win game of the year tho, it certainly is mine as Im sure others on this website agree. Also Mario Maker and undertale would have been acceptable to me, but eh. I suppose I just dont have the same liking as other people do.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
So a cartoony game about squids actually beat overrated dark shooters like Call of Duty? Wow, I'm impressed. Glad it did get the award because who even cares about Call of Duty anymore?

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
...I'll be the first to say that I don't think Call of Duty is all that bad. Really, it's not...

It's not award-winning material, but the hate it gets is overblown.

I'm glad Splatoon got the award, 'cause it's a great game, but I'm not happy about people ****ting on the other games. You hate it when people **** on Splatoon, so let's not **** on other games.

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
When I saw this I thought it was quite a pleasant surprise, it's nice to see Splatoon finally get some recognition in the wider scale of the Shooter genre. It's quirky, innovative and fun. Good on you Nintendo.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Best shooter? Sure, why not. Best multiplayer? Absolutely not. It took them three months to add friend lobbies, the matchmaking still sucks, and there's no voice chat. Christ, the game launched with like four maps and one mode. The indisputable best part of the Game Awards was Geoff throwing shade at Konami.
I assume that friend lobbies were meant to be a thing, they just wanted to see how the fanbase held out for the summer, and then release them if the demand was high enough, especially since they were announced in the Splatoon Direct prerelease.

Really only Turf War matchmaking sucks. because it doesn't take rank into consideration, and ninty hasn't fixed how lvl 50's get matched with people as low as lvl 5. Ranked is good due to the whole rank thing, although it doesn't auto balance like it should at times.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
Really well-deserved. I mean, it's easy for a bunch of people on a Splatoon forum to talk about how much the game deserved to win these awards, but honestly, this game is such a landmark title for Nintendo.

Not because the gameplay's perfect or anything, but just because it's such a charming, fresh, exciting game that just shows how capable Nintendo is of providing amazing new experiences.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
The fact that a new IP from Nintendo is getting awards compared to some of their other titles released this year with the exception of SMM, that's saying something. It's probably the only good game from Nintendo this year for me along with Yoshi's Woolly World, and it's funny I mentioned this because I used to hate Splatoon before actually trying it out. XD

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Whenever Nintendo steps out of their comfort zone, they tend to do well. Pikmin was a huge success too. I'm glad Splatoon did well. It deserves to and hopefully this will encourage Nintendo to give more new projects a chance.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This is well deserved.

I absolutely agree with both wins. It is a breath of fresh air in the shooter category. It has amazing style, mechanics, and depth for a "kids" game. Honestly, unlike anything else in the genre and proves you don't have to be dark and realistic to be good in the mainstream.

And yes, I agree with best multiplayer. People decry both the matchmaking and lack of voice chat, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Ranked matchmaking is actually quite good, and there is even some sense of matchmaking in turf war (and although it sucks often) that can help newer players/less skilled players still enjoy themselves. And the lack of voicechat makes the game inherently more friendly, especially to players new to the genre. It also allows global matchmaking which, IMO, is pretty awesome.

Very excited for Splatoon and Nintendo!

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
The fact that a new IP from Nintendo is getting awards compared to some of their other titles released this year with the exception of SMM, that's saying something. It's probably the only good game from Nintendo this year for me along with Yoshi's Woolly World, and it's funny I mentioned this because I used to hate Splatoon before actually trying it out. XD
I had no interest in Splatoon before it got released. Back in E3 2014 when they first showed it off, I was like, "eh, don't care about it. Just give me news I want to hear" and just forgot all about it then close to launch my brother got really hyped for it by watching the Splatoon Direct and started talking about it every day and I used my birthday money to buy the game for him because it was my gift to him. At one point my curiosity got the best of me and I finally tried it, I was hooked. This game is awesome and then finally around the end of August I finally made a SB account and here I am. So, thank you @Alpine for getting me into this game.

But yes, this game deserves it. I'm glad this game is getting the recognition it deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom