The Gear Abilities and Sub-Abilities?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
It's been a while since i posted anything, and not sure where to put this so... here goes nothing.

So yeah i have looked up the abilities you can find and put on your gears, some are interesting, some are just eye-brow rising for me, so for the new ones that was introduced into the game along with some others that have been changed for Spla2n, i'm just gonna run down a list of them and some personal opinion.

Special Power-Up & Sub Power-Up (Two seperate abilities):
An ability for powering up specials and an ability to power up Sub weapons, i don't recall them in the first game, i'm pretty certain all it does is increasing the attack damage for them.

Ink Resistance Up & Cold-Blooded (Now also Sub-Abilities):
The Resist up allows you to take less damage for trudging through enemy ink, and increase movement speed through them, Cold-Blood for reducing targeting abilities to last shorter, both are now abilities and sub-abilities for the gears, so it means putting it on a single gear, means it's less useful, but can be stacked so it will be more powerful, so will 3x Ability and 12x Sub-Ability with each of these gear surpass the Vanilla versions perhaps?

Bomb Defence Up (Changed from Bomb-Sniffer):
Sub-ability, derived from Bomb Sniffer from previous game, is now also sub-ability, it also drops explosive damage from BOTH Sub and Specials, so this ability can negate Special and Sub Power-Up abilities.

Quick Respawn (Changed):
Probably works the same, except now it only works if you haven't splatted anything...
I'm not sure about this ability, it seems to be good for someone to fodder in ranked matches, focusing on Splat-Zones and Tower Control without splatting anyone, or for rookies to get better in the game, if no other abilities can help them for now.

Thermal Ink (New Main Ability):
I think this is probably going to be the one ability i will see the most in online matches at all, it reveals opponent behind walls and other objects when hit by a main weapon, i wonder if the the blast radious from a blaster counts? (And if the opponent is visable for ALL allies too?)

Respawn Punisher (New Main Ability):
It drops your own respawn time, along with whoever splatted you, so if you get splatted by someone, that person will respawn slower the next time he gets splatted, it also drops the Special penalty if they get splatted, so that's the ONLY benefit, from this ability alone.
This ability negates yourself too much to benefit anything from it? I don't understand this ability at all.

Ability Doubler (New Main Ability):
Doubles the sub abilities you have, i don't know what more to say, it is located on the Splat-Tee though so i guess it's just there to negate other abilities from being used in splatfests mostly?

Object Shredder (New Main Ability):
Deals more damage to non-squid object, Splash Walls for example, but it seems to be 25%.
I don't have anything more to say, it looks extremely uninteresting to me.

Drop Roller (New Main Ability):
Stealth jump have been nerfed so you can be seen if an opponent is close enough, but it doesn't say anything about jump penalties anymore, but if you're dealing with direct combat in jumping right where enemies is, then the Drop Roller will be useful where the Stealth Jump isn't, hold the L control Stick in the direction you want to roll when you land on the ground after a super jump.

--------
I also noticed that the Attack-Up ability and Defence-Up ability is non existant in Spla2n, so that's one game changer already there.

I'm not impressed with the new abilities at all... Anyone else is?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Time to nitpick! Hurray!

Special Power Up and Sub Special Up have different effects depending on what they're used for. The Tenta Missile's targeting reticle gets larger, and the Ink Mine's explosion radius grows. Those are a couple examples we've been given, they could make subs and specials very potent, with effects more useful than just more damage. Bomb Range Up and Special Duration Up have been rolled into these two abilities. I'm pretty sure damage enhancement won't be a part of this, that nonsense is why damage and defense are gone.

Quick Respawn will be useful for support players like myself, who relentlessly hound the objective and do things like kamikaze rainmaker rushes. It'll retain it's functionality in that regard and for easing the penalties of poor play without enabling the sort of zombie tactics we've seen in the first game.

From what we know of respawn punisher, you extend your own respawn time and special loss penalty for the ability to inflict the same on anyone you splat. Chargers are going to love it.

Object Shredder will probably be most used in Rainmaker.

I think the new stuff all has it's uses.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
From what we know of respawn punisher, you extend your own respawn time and special loss penalty for the ability to inflict the same on anyone you splat. Chargers are going to love it.
Valid points all over, except about the punsiher, it states on the abilities avilable in the game that "Respawn Punisher" will only Punish player You have been splatted by, not the ones You splat.

So the trigger for this ability is to be splatted first, and then hopefully get the assiliant splatted shortly after, also the Special punish is only for the target, not the user of the ability.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Valid points all over, except about the punsiher, it states on the abilities avilable in the game that "Respawn Punisher" will only Punish player You have been splatted by, not the ones You splat.

So the trigger for this ability is to be splatted first, and then hopefully get the assiliant splatted shortly after, also the Special punish is only for the target, not the user of the ability.
Which doesn't match up with what the Direct said, so there's confusion to be had. The description I gave is what sounded the most likely to me. It's kind of a mystery, there will be testing and possible patching if things really are amiss.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Which doesn't match up with what the Direct said, so there's confusion to be had. The description I gave is what sounded the most likely to me. It's kind of a mystery, there will be testing and possible patching if things really are amiss.

@ 13:37 "Penalty for you and any players who splats you"

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Point taken. That's kinda weird. You'd think it'd make more sense the other way around.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Point taken. That's kinda weird. You'd think it'd make more sense the other way around.
That is exactly what i mean, this ability is a double-edge sword that just goes in a massive circle to where you just drag another player down to your abilities, and it STILL benefits Snipers, cause they can survive if extremely experienced and negate the splatting thing almost completely if they know what they are doing, so this ability is nothing but a buff for snipers in the opposing team.

So once again, i have no idea why this ability exists in the first place, it doesn't even benefit the player if he never gets splatted and a running around or away all the time, and it doesn't help getting splatted either, cause you're the first one dealing with the penalty, and the penalty only works if the splatter gets splatted themselves, elites can avoid that completely if done right.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I really feel like we're missing something there, like I said. Eh! We'll see what Nintendo does.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I really feel like we're missing something there, like I said. Eh! We'll see what Nintendo does.
You're right, from the presentation and the in-game explaination of the ability can't be everything, if it is everything, well, are you going to use this ability at all effeciently and often?
Cause i think of all abilities, you would want something that would handicap you both equally, not handicap you first and then the opponent after the damage is done.
There have to be more, or Nintendo has to patch this somehow...

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
I do like how much they are splitting things up (I.E splitting damage up between special and subs as opposed to just one damage up ability). It seems like less abilities will be straight-up must haves and expand the meta with a bit more variety. Same with the way they are splitting specials (I.E Tenta Missiles have the attack of Inkstrike but Cloud gets the turf coverage)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I do like how much they are splitting things up (I.E splitting damage up between special and subs as opposed to just one damage up ability). It seems like less abilities will be straight-up must haves and expand the meta with a bit more variety. Same with the way they are splitting specials (I.E Tenta Missiles have the attack of Inkstrike but Cloud gets the turf coverage)
As has been stated, damage up of any kind is probably long gone.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Took the words right out of my mouth.

As has been stated, damage up of any kind is probably long gone.
Kind of a good thing, now everyone can focus more on extending either their mobility or defences against specific types of attacks.
I mean, the most common thing you found in Splat-1 was Damage-Up, so i guess they removed it for that reason that it seemed to be the only valid strategy people used.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Honestly, the variance damage and defense up added was maddening. Between lag, connections across the globe, and these two abilities you had no guarantee of how many hits it'd take a given weapon to splat a foe. Better netcode (if arms is any indication) and more consistency for main weapons will be a friggin' boon to combat.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Honestly, the variance damage and defense up added was maddening. Between lag, connections across the globe, and these two abilities you had no guarantee of how many hits it'd take a given weapon to splat a foe. Better netcode (if arms is any indication) and more consistency for main weapons will be a friggin' boon to combat.
The Global Testfire earlier this year barely had any lag on my part in any match i played, there were a lot of time to get in a room, but it was at least not as insanely disconnected as the matches you could get in Splat-1.

And i can insert "no delayed kills", where you splat someone, and then they splat you 3 seconds after they are splatted.
Still have nightmares of Blasters, that keeps shooting after they're gone... :|

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm really curious to see what effects Special n Sub Power up have on the other weapons. I imagine duration up for things like Stingray and Baller, but I have no idea how Squid Beacons can be made better.

Of the new abilitys Thermal Ink is definitely my favorite. I'm a Slosher main so I think you can imagine why hehe. I believe themal abilitys like this are user only, whereas tagging such as Point Sensor reveals for the whole team to see.

It would but then it'd become an ability everyone always uses no questions asked so that's probably why.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I'm really curious to see what effects Special n Sub Power up have on the other weapons. I imagine duration up for things like Stingray and Baller, but I have no idea how Squid Beacons can be made better.
Probably more hit points. Not a huge boon and probably not worth it, unless they change the Beakon's basic mechanic. It's already weaker than it used to be (since it's a lot less convenient without a gamepad, and there's no hotkey to make up for it), so powering it up would make sense. Maybe instead of working only once, using a Beakon causes it to take damage?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Probably more hit points. Not a huge boon and probably not worth it, unless they change the Beakon's basic mechanic. It's already weaker than it used to be (since it's a lot less convenient without a gamepad, and there's no hotkey to make up for it), so powering it up would make sense. Maybe instead of working only once, using a Beakon causes it to take damage?
I actually find it more convenient not having to look down at another screen, and though a quick tap might be faster than scrolling a cursor to select a beacon to jump to, this doesn't matter much while you're respawning and can't do anything else anyway. I like your idea of a single beacon having multiple uses, but that'd probably require a lot of sub power up.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Honestly, damage up or defense up has been done in other shooters before, and it has always been a crap shoot. If you want a more pleasant experience, you want to have as many variables to remain consistent as possible, especially in damage numbers, since it causes confusion to the player as to why they died or didn't splat someone. Unless it is a power up of sorts that you need to fight other players for, it hasn't really worked out all too well, especially in shooters that use a perk system. This is also why I am sort of peeved that they are still having abilities that affects respawn timers, even if it does seem to be toned down quite a bit this time.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
It would but then it'd become an ability everyone always uses no questions asked so that's probably why.
So if reversed, it makes even less sense? Now i see the whole picture...
Now i'm curious (worried) what would happen if two Respawn Punishers collided with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom