The Inkzooka Special: Strategic and Competitive Uses

WydrA

Inkling Commander
It seems some people wanted to discuss the Inkzooka's uses and strategies, so i though I would create a thread to do so. in case you somehow don't know what the Inkzooka is, here's a wiki page on it: http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Inkzooka
So go ahead and discuss pros and cons, and effective and ineffective strategies you've seen in use. I'll try to stay on top of things, so that if anyone wants anything added to the OP I can do it.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
Why the heck do people use the inkstrike near people's spawn? It takes like 3 seconds to clear and just allows someone to charge their own special a bunch. You almost never kill anyone with it. It seems like a huge waste to me. I tend to use them right on the edge of a contested zone- create a big distraction so my team can gain the upper hand over that area.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Why the heck do people use the inkstrike near people's spawn? It takes like 3 seconds to clear and just allows someone to charge their own special a bunch. You almost never kill anyone with it. It seems like a huge waste to me. I tend to use them right on the edge of a contested zone- create a big distraction so my team can gain the upper hand over that area.
wrong special m8

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Inkzooka's a good special, not my favorite, but it's good.
Inkzooka shoots really tall inknados which make it good for splatting elevated snipers that you can't easily reach otherwise, it goes a pretty long distance so it probably reaches farther than your weapon normally does (unless it's the Squiffer; one of those has this, right?), the inknados move fairly quickly so enemies probably won't avoid it unless they see it coming from close to its maximum distance, and it splats in one hit, always, so you can't escape it like an Inkstrike or Killer Wail (Wail's escapable, right? It takes a couple of hits to splat, so I assume you can).
The big problems with this are that the inknados are fairly thin, not thin like individual bullets but not wide like a Roller swing, so you have to be somewhat precise, and it doesn't fire that quickly, so you won't get that many shots before it runs out (Special Duration Ups can mitigate this, but only so much), and it pushes you back a bit with each shot, which can push you over ledges or just out of range (you can get back in range, but that takes time you could be using to shoot more), and it doesn't shoot downward all that well, so it's not useful when you're shooting from an elevated position (not useless, but not as good as being on the same level as your targets, or even below them).
It's great for splattering enemies hiding in elevated areas (though not behind cover) and dealing with enemies your weapon can't normally reach (again, except maybe the Squiffer, if it has that).
Overall, it's alright. I prefer the Bubbler and Kraken (invincibility is nice), Inkstrikes too sometimes (hitting anything from anywhere is nice), but Inkzookas are pretty good to have too.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Inkzooka doesn't have to be used as an all offensive special, if you use it in Port Mackerel, you can use it in one of the tight areas, it goes pretty far so it will take most of the long way.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I see Inkzooka as a "guaranteed-one-or-more-KOs-weapon". I tend to use it more often with the Tentatek Splattershot lately as Inkstrikes can get really boring after some time. It's great to surprise enemies and take them out quickly. Key is to aim properly before launching it. On Port Mackarel I think it's very hard to use effectively, though. If you don't hit your opponent with the first shot he will most likely hide behind the containers until the Inkzooka runs out. And if you manage to hit one enemy, the others will hide.

Btw. does anyone know the actual range of the weapon? Can it outrange E-liters?

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Inkzooka on the forge splattershot pro is great. Works well with the point sensor sub weapon and a Tenacity equipment ability. It's fun to kill all those stupid snipers that line the side walls of Arowana Mall.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I only see much potential in the Inkzooka on Port Mackrel because of the small narrow walkways making it difficult to avoid. I guess in that sense seeker is also really useful on this map.

Box

Pro Squid
The Inkzooka seems to be the best special right now. It's too fast to actually dodge if you aren't already swimming when the shot is fired. Every other special can be avoided if you're willing to give up ground.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Btw. does anyone know the actual range of the weapon? Can it outrange E-liters?
It's the opposite; E-Liters outrange it, but not by much. I tested them and E-Liters can go up to 7 'rectangles'(the dividing lines in the test range), and Inkzooka blasts go roughly 6.5. Arguably one of if not definitely the best special in the game.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
It's the opposite; E-Liters outrange it, but not by much. I tested them and E-Liters can go up to 7 'rectangles'(the dividing lines in the test range), and Inkzooka blasts go roughly 6.5. Arguably one of if not definitely the best special in the game.
It actually DO outrange if you jump before firing the inkzooka ; however that assuming you are at the same height ; so if a E-liter it higher then you (aka most of the time) ; he's probably gonna outrange you anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom