The next splatoon game should replace the map rotation system

blu_aaa

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2473-2014-2344
I think its time that we change how map rotations work for this game because tbh, its outdated. I think most of us are getting tired of having to play horrid map rotations over and over again, so i was thinking of a way to rework it. i was thinking having only having the modes rotate every 2 hours but the maps will be decided by the players, and which ever map has the majority (or if everyone chooses a different map it'll pick a map at random) will get selected. I wanna hear what you all have for potential reworks for how they should do map rotations as well! :D

carro179

Inkling
Pronouns
yes
Switch Friend Code
SW-7820-5913-3313
I think that if you just give the players a choice to vote for the map, you'd end up with the same maps all the time, though. I don't think the rotations are that flawed (though, yeah, they are a bit restrictive), but I think a good balance would be to fuse it with MK8DX's online system. It could work like this:
  • Every rotation, a mode and 4 (maybe 6, but I think that would be a bit too much) maps are selected
  • When you enter a battle, you vote for the map you want to play in
  • Then, a roulette weighed based on the choices of the lobby would select the actual map at random
That way, you aren't forced to play that map you hate 50% of matches, there's a bit more variety, and you can avoid playing in a map everyone hates

reelrollsweat

Pro Squid
i dont think the problem with bad rotations is the rotation system itself its that the individual maps are bad x_x i like the rotation system esp bc you can see the whole days rotations on splatnet and set time aside for the ones you want to play. id rather they keep set 2hr rotations instead of making players pick them bc it would just make matchmaking longer

silvr_nouveau

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/They/She
Switch Friend Code
SW-5141-3082-0456
I think its time that we change how map rotations work for this game because tbh, its outdated. I think most of us are getting tired of having to play horrid map rotations over and over again, so i was thinking of a way to rework it. i was thinking having only having the modes rotate every 2 hours but the maps will be decided by the players, and which ever map has the majority (or if everyone chooses a different map it'll pick a map at random) will get selected. I wanna hear what you all have for potential reworks for how they should do map rotations as well! :D
Give us a MK8 style thing where players vote on maps... and if certain maps don't get picked *maybe there's a fundamental issue with the map?*

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i don't really think it's necessary to get rid of the system as long as we get good maps, since i think there's benefits to the system (namely, you're more likely to actually play all of the maps casually, rather than just sticking to one or two that you like), but i would be interested in seeing the mk8 style be used since i think it maintains those advantages while still giving the players more control if there really are some terrible maps for casual play

Yosi Spring

Pro Squid
I don't think the system is too bad overall, but there are two instances where it really falls flat - Splatfests and Rank X. In Splatfests, since everyone is forced to play the same mode, it should have 3-4 maps per rotation instead of only 2. For Rank X, I think they should have all 4 modes available to choose from, and then rotate the maps.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The rotations wouldn't be a problem if the maps were better. Seriously, what the heck did they do to Hammerhead and Mahi Mahi. I like the idea of using the MK8 system, but that probably wouldn't be necessary if they got better map designers and there were less stages that people actually dreaded. Definitely a lot of layers to that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom