• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Rainmaker's Shield is not based on HP.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Two fully E-Litre 3K shots can take out the shield while it takes four direct impacts from the Blaster/Luna Blaster to break the shield. Which is strange because it would have only taken three direct impacts since it adds up to 375 HP of damage while the two fully E-Litre 3K shots equal 360 Hp of damage. Nobody has seemed to figure why would this be the case.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
it could be that the shield is programmed to respond differently to different weapons?

for example, the killer wail and inkstrike can destroy the shield.

i believe the initial shield (i.e. at the start of the match) has 1000HP. not entirely certain though.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
The shield goes through three forms, each one resets its HP.
Interesting theory but I just don't see it in the cards. Do you have concrete proof this is the case? I'm starting to think the shield behaves differently depending on what class of weapon you're using against it.

Squiglet

Inkling
All I know is the .52 gal is BALLS when it comes to taking that shield out. It takes me FOREVER. At one point, I decided to just skip it every time and defend it while I wait for my teammates to come get it.

It just wasn't worth it.

Bolt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EnderBolt
I actually asked something about this to NWPlayer123 some time ago, I asked how much HP the shield has, and she answered with 10.0. I then asked if this meant 10 inklings, she answered that she had no idea at all. What we can conclude from is is that 1. The shield only has one phase, 2. it's HP based, and 3, This whole discussion just got a lot more confusing.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I actually asked something about this to NWPlayer123 some time ago, I asked how much HP the shield has, and she answered with 10.0. I then asked if this meant 10 inklings, she answered that she had no idea at all. What we can conclude from is is that 1. The shield only has one phase, 2. it's HP based, and 3, This whole discussion just got a lot more confusing.
You are right that it is HP based obviously. It's just that the Rainmaker Shield's HP is not consistent compared to the Inkling's HP. That was the main point I was trying to make here. Although you are right my topic title should have been reworded so it does not sound too confusing.

Bolt

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EnderBolt
You are right that it is HP based obviously. It's just that the Rainmaker Shield's HP is not consistent compared to the Inkling's HP. That was the main point I was trying to make here. Although you are right my topic title should have been reworded so it does not sound too confusing.
Ahh, alright, that explains.

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
the shield is basically a sponge. its not based on damage at all.

its based on ink covered per shot.

a fully charged e-liter shots packs a lot of ink in just one shot, which is why it only takes two.

an aerospray which covers very small amounts per shot takes 15+ shots to take it out.

this turf-based tug of war balances out any DPS differences between weapons which is smart of the devs.

the 1000 HP only applies to non-ink attacks: the Killer Wail.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2

a fully charged e-liter shots packs a lot of ink in just one shot, which is why it only takes two.

an aerospray which covers very small amounts per shot takes 15+ shots to take it out.

this turf-based tug of war balances out any DPS differences between weapons which is smart of the devs.

I've seen people throw three suction bombs at the shield to break it and that takes a lot of ink to do compared to two fully charged E-Liter 3K shots. So I don't think ink is the entire factor when it comes to breaking the rainmaker's shield. You do have a point that it's more based on ink covered per shot rather than damage dealt which is definitely true given the test and results.

Who knows? Maybe subs are their own thing when it comes to breaking the rainmaker's shield.

Last edited:

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
That's interesting. I tried this with Tentatek once and it took me 28 shots to burst the shield. 28 x 36 dmg = 1,008, so I figured the shield had 1,000 HP. But I think this calculation applies only to shooter weapons. Chargers and bombs seem to be able to splat the shield quicker and Killer Wail or Inkstrike are instant splats.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet

No, the shield is definitely HP based; I know from testing that Damage Up will allow you to break it in fewer shots. The tricky thing is that it seems to respond differently to different weapons.

That's interesting. I tried this with Tentatek once and it took me 28 shots to burst the shield. 28 x 36 dmg = 1,008, so I figured the shield had 1,000 HP. But I think this calculation applies only to shooter weapons. Chargers and bombs seem to be able to splat the shield quicker and Killer Wail or Inkstrike are instant splats.
I noticed the 1,000 HP thing about shooters too (including the Splatling). It made me wonder if it's actually just 500 HP (like the large dummies in the testing range) with a damage multiplier applied depending on the weapon--0.5 for shooters, 1.0 for rollers, 1.5 for chargers, etc.

The Slosher is just plain weird; I can tell by the sound that the ink toss is somehow hitting the shield multiple times, and my results with it haven't been very consistent.

Also, I would just like to point out that the Killer Wail and Inkstrike aren't exactly insta-splats. They deal damage very quickly, but it does take a bit of time for the damage to add up to enough to burst the shield. (Even an Inkling can suffer non-lethal damage from a Killer Wail if caught in it for a short enough time.)

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
This is puzzling.....we need Hank from Nintendome to figure this one out! Because I'm to lazy.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
This is puzzling.....we need Hank from Nintendome to figure this one out! Because I'm to lazy.
Ha ha he seems to know his stuff when it comes to the technacalities in Splatoon so maybe he can figure this out although I don't know if he is interested in making a video around this.

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
I've seen people throw three suction bombs at the shield to break it and that takes a lot of ink to do compared to two fully charged E-Liter 3K shots. So I don't think ink is the entire factor when it comes to breaking the rainmaker's shield. You do have a point that it's more based on ink covered per shot rather than damage dealt which is definitely true given the test and results.

Who knows? Maybe subs are their own thing when it comes to breaking the rainmaker's shield.
yea i tested rollers, chargers, bombs, aerospray, gals.. and got such inconsistent results. i tested it with varying amounts of dmg ups (i have up to 3 mains and 6 subs) and while dmg up does decrease its shots to burst the dmg doesn't add up to same amount every time. on average its about 350+ dmg. i kept track of how much dmg and stuff they all needed but scrapped it because there was no sound conclusion.

from memory i know that 50.9 dmg shots (eliter uncharged @ 3 mains 4 subs) takes 8 shots while 51.2 dmg shots (5 subs) takes 7. thats the smallest dmg increase i could make, but like i said it turns out its all inconsistent. at one point i figured maybe ink velocity was also a factor.

Xelor

Inkling
Did anyone ever figure this out?

Could someone hard h*** splatoon and find the damage calculation for this ?

(also sorry for bumping dead threads.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom