• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Rise of Tenacity?!

Kevin304

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin304
So I've started to see a lot of competitive players using tenacity even in tournaments and I've been wondering why?I personally don't think it's that effective.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I've used it for a long time. Partially because I personally like the way the tenacity headgear looks, but it's nice to have my special recharged automatically. It's not unusual for me to unexpectedly have my special available, or to have it soon after I just used it.

I don't play in tournaments nor am I competitive beyond ranked (S) and occasional squad, though if I did play more seriously I expect I'd keep using it.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
It's fairly useful for weapons that aren't all that involved in the action, like chargers or long ranged weapons for example. They rarely die and thus can make tenacity work well. On shorter ranged weapons and rollers for example where you're constantly in the heat of battle (and might die often), it might not be as useful.

Tifa

Inkling
It's useful for weapons that don't engage in the action much, such as chargers, or weapons that can't charge their special effectively due to poor turf coverage, such as Rapid Blaster Pro with Inkzooka.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Generally, weapons that are better at turfing rather have :ability_specialcharge:, while weapons that have a poor time charging special are better off with :ability_tenacity:.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
It's fairly useful for weapons that aren't all that involved in the action, like chargers or long ranged weapons for example. They rarely die and thus can make tenacity work well. On shorter ranged weapons and rollers for example where you're constantly in the heat of battle (and might die often), it might not be as useful.
For me, part of the reason I like tenacity is because I don't like losing my special or its charging progress if I get splatted, and tenacity makes it more available. I typically use the Luna Blaster Neo and Tentatek/Octoshot.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
For me, part of the reason I like tenacity is because I don't like losing my special or its charging progress if I get splatted, and tenacity makes it more available. I typically use the Luna Blaster Neo and Tentatek/Octoshot.
i feel like special saver would be a better fit for this. but if it works for you, that's cool.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
i feel like special saver would be a better fit for this. but if it works for you, that's cool.
In theory I'd agree, but I'd need a few special savers to make a real practical difference and I prefer other abilities. Plus, I love it when I get my special and I'm not even really inking :)

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm going to be real here and say I only run tenacity because any gear that has it looks stylish as ****

But yeah it's pretty good

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Wasn't it always a popular hat ability, though? Every time a teammate gets splatted inbetween specials w/o quick respawn you'll more or less get the same charge as special charge up. If your team is down to just you or one other teammate you'll be quicker to that special to put a stop to the inevitable push.

I think a lot of people pass over it because people rather boost different abilities instead.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
For maximum offense, I use Tenacity and 2 Special Charge Ups with the Tentatek/Octoshot if the rotation calls for it. Even with the nerf to Inkzooka charge, it still charges quite fast. As well, considering that your teammates die a lot and more often than not are useless, it all works out perfectly. It's quite a deadly build. Tenacity has never seen a decline.

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
Personally I haven't really used it that much as I often find that I just don't have enough slots for it, but would be open to trying out with some of my weapons such as the 96 Gal. However, I think some weapons such as the Splattershot Jr actually don't need it as they spread ink quite effectively and therefore their special fills up very fast.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
tower control your team is jumping to death like crazy then bam my kraken is up and i can just sit on the tower, in all honesty that situation happens allot for me. so i use the tenacity for that reason on tc only and special saver on the other two ranked games

Flamelord054

Inkster Jr.
Personally I don't use my special that much anyway so I don't find it very viable for my play style, but I can't deny that is useful in some situations. As repeatedly stated above it is useful on snipers and blasters that focus on killing without being able to cover much turf, but I can also see it being used when a team is going up against a team that is better than they are that way while the rest of your team dies trying to capture the objective you can get your special ready to push back, but the reverse is also true, when playing against a team that is worse than you, you already have most of the map to cover plus it will be easy to defend so almost no one will be splated, so maybe it is good for solo where everyone on your team is an idiot. Anyway just seeing this thread made me think about playing tenacity with the E-liter, so thanks everyone out there. And I would like to further test what this ability to see its viablity so if anyone wants to help me with that by squading message me.

LazerBeanz

Inkling
NNID
shuya_nananahara
I like to use it occasionally, but I only really use it when I have echolocater as a special. It tends to help my team mates more. especially if I have some snipers on my team.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I think Tenacity is actually a fairly potent ability with the right weapons. If you're staying alive more often than your teammates (perhaps you're playing a defensive weapon), it can charge up your special quickly. It's also powerful with Kraken and Bubbler specials, as it can allow you to have your panic special to prevent a full team wipe. I'm currently working on a Zink Mini Splatling build that uses Tenacity to keep the Bubbler alive. Custom E-liters also get a lot out of the ability.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm a Tenacity user, normally I play on defensive placing beakons and stalking as Octobrush, I normally last a lot and keep hidden on ranked matches so this ability reality fits to me better than special saver and/or special up.

Also Tenacity keeps me from losing my head and start playing agressive out of nowhere. :)

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
So, I've been testing a Tenacity build on the Custom E-liter 3K Scope since I saw this thread. I tried it with two seperate pieces of gear: The Soccer Headband, on which I managed to get my first ever non-rerolled triple as I was testing (3x Ink Recovery Up baby!) and the Sport Bobble Hat, which had 2x Damage Up and a Quick Respawn Sub. The rest of my build was:

Anchor Sweat (Cold Blooded): 2x Damage Up, Swim Speed Up
Purple Casuals (Damage Up): 3x Swim Speed Up

Tenacity was definitely useful. It helped me charge up Kraken very quickly and in clutch situations. I also didn't miss having an extra Damage Up main when I used the Sporty Bobble Hat, and I could still splat enemies with a little less than a 75% charge. I use the Swim Speed to make sure my Krakens are still dangerous and to keep mobile, but if I could get a triple Damage Up Tenacity hat and triple Damage Up on my Anchor Sweat I don't think I would really be wanting for more power. I did miss having Damage Up when using the Soccer Headband, but the Ink Recovery Up was nice too. Having Kraken more often helped stop pushes and make strong pushes. Definitely a worthwhile ability with the weapon.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
How useful Tenacity is depends on the weapon that you're using. I've began using Tenacity with my Custom Hydra and I really like it. There was a very noticeable difference in how often I was getting the Bubbler compared to when I wasn't using Tenacity. The Bubbler is very important to my survival and my team's survival. It's helped us in a number of situations so it's nice that Tenacity can really help with getting the special built up much quicker. I can see Tenacity working well for chargers, Hydras, and most blasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom