• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Shifting Meta of Splatoon Discussion Thread

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
A Metagame is defined as "a strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself."

What this means is a metagame is ideas and play styles and mentalities that allow you to be significantly better at Splatoon. Recently, I've been noticing a shift in the metagame due to high level tournament matches that show off weapons, guides, and new ideas being presented.

Some things I'm noticing is the sudden popularity boost of the Carbon Roller, a drop in Cold Blooded usage, the Custom Eliter becoming more tournament viable than the regular Eliter, and Sheldon's Picks weapons being very popular ideas right now.

This, I'm hoping, will act as a discussion to, well, discuss the current shift Splatoon is receiving. I'm hoping you all have noticed it to and can present new ideas. I'm also working on another project right now so bare with me.

Thank you!

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
I don't really have many comments on the changes you've observed, however I have analyzed the meta changes that resulted from the last major patch

To be honest, I think this patch is a great thing for Splatoon. The E-Liter "nerf" isn't even that big of a deal, people are just going to either have to use the weapon the way it was originally intended to be used without the semi-exploit of damage up stacking or use the splat charger (whose range fully charged is now almost that of an uncharged E-Liter). Also the burst bomb nerf is much needed, as in some cases burst spamming was more effective than some main weapons. Also in the week or so since the patch, we've already seen a massive influx of the Berry Pro in professional games. I personally can't speak for sloshers, or the inkbrush but I doubt that they will have much of an impact since they are rarely used in professional play. I expect to see many more Hydra users in the meta now with its buff.

Something interesting I've noticed, there seems to be many less .96 users in competitive games as of this patch. I was wondering if this is because of many people being scared off by its "nerf" (the accuracy buff more than makes up for the damage downgrade imo) or they just see other weapons as being more attractive now?

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
I think the bamboozlers are gonna have their meta-moment. Simply because they can splat so quickly in the right tentacles. (not my tentacles)
Every now and again when I play this weapon I get a glimpse of it's potential but i'm just not good enough. But pro players are I'm sure and when that hype train starts rollin' there aint no stoppin' it

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I think the Jet Squelcher will be heavily utilized in the future. People will eventually realize that the combonation of charger-like range, spreading more ink than anything close to that range, and the mobility of a Splattershot will do their team a lot of good.:wst_shot_long00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom