• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Slosher, OP or not?

Is it OP or not?

• OP! plz nerf!

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Nah. Its not that good.

Votes: 62 86.1%

• Total voters

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Mid range (it equals or exceeds many of the mid-range guns), high damage, and wide inking. Inkstrikes are incoming all day. Eek.

I do think it nullifies some of the mid-range guns, which is a shame. I had to arm myself with a Jet Squelcher, when I did that I started winning more. My splattershot pro has been nullified for the time being. Got worked by buckets. You would think a gun could outrange a guy pouring ink out of a bucket. Anyways.

Not 100% sure how to deal with them yet, but the Squelcher is a good bet and worked out ok today. Time will tell if they're OP... Today I'd say yes but I'm probably just overly annoyed and will get over it.
The Splattershot Pro should outrange it by quite a bit. The Slosher barely has more range than a standard Splattershot, which doesn't have such a great range to start with

florence

Full Squid
yes, absolutely. i feel like its main advantage was meant to be that it can get people who are trying to take cover, but it goes way beyond that. it has a gigantic hitbox, splats very quickly, and easily outperforms any other weapon within its range. i don't know why people are always so hesitant to call a weapon OP (especially with the dynamo lmao). people ITT are saying "no, it's a good weapon, but it's not OP" but like...if a weapon is good in the sense that it can perform really well, AND it takes no skill to make it perform that well, that's pretty much the definition of OP imo.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
AND it takes no skill to make it perform that well
I can pick out people I'm grouped with who are just starting to use it =__=

Not 100% sure how to deal with them yet
I think: either outrange it (which a lot of guns can do, or they can at least trade range with it), or get in its face and be mobile. Its shot is really narrow at point blank and sort of hard to aim if the enemy is right on top of you. Plus, they have to go through the full bucket throwing animation for every shot, but your gun is likely able to keep shooting, so a miss for them costs them a lot more than a miss will cost you. If an enemy is too close and too hard to hit, the slosher might have to resort to trying to hit you with burst bomb explosions, which has a lower ttk

Last edited:

jkid391

Senior Squid
I can pick out people I'm grouped with who are just starting to use it =__=

I think: either outrange it (which a lot of guns can do, or they can at least trade range with it), or get in its face and be mobile. Its shot is really narrow at point blank and sort of hard to aim if the enemy is right on top of you. Plus, they have to go through the full bucket throwing animation for every shot, but your gun is likely able to keep shooting, so a miss for them costs them a lot more than a miss will cost you. If an enemy is too close and too hard to hit, the slosher might have to resort to trying to hit you with burst bomb explosions, which has a lower ttk
"Just starting to use it"
I have fought over 75 players who say otherwise.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I guess my question is, "Is there any advantage to using a splattershot over a slosher?". Because if not, the slosher is definitely OP.
Do you mean just the standard Splattershot? Because I don't play that (I prefer Tentatek, but especially prefer Rollers and Splatlings), but I can hazard a guess:
Rapid fire. This is the Splattershot's single biggest advantage over the Slosher, since it allows the Splattershot to win close-range battles. Additionally, Burst Bomb Rush is better for combat and claiming a sizable amount of turf than the Slosher's Inkstrike (though Inkstrike is good for making enemies move and claiming well-defended turf briefly).
However, if you're at midrange, the Slosher should probably win since it deals more damage at range (the Splattershot's spread means it would miss some shots near the edge of its range, while the Slosher always deals all of its damage as long as it hits). Having said that, using a Burst Bomb to soften enemies up before splatting them with your main weapon is a good strategy for both, probably significantly lowering how long it takes to splat enemies.
The Slosher is good, but it doesn't completely outclass the Splattershot.
Though having said all of that, I don't play Splattershot often (though I should really retry it, I keep retrying weapons I didn't like and enjoying them, so maybe I'll end up liking it on the second try), so I don't know for certain.
So, uh, anyone who actually plays Splattershot more than once in a blue moon, is this even close?

ReegsShannon

Inkling
Do you mean just the standard Splattershot? Because I don't play that (I prefer Tentatek, but especially prefer Rollers and Splatlings), but I can hazard a guess:
Rapid fire. This is the Splattershot's single biggest advantage over the Slosher, since it allows the Splattershot to win close-range battles. Additionally, Burst Bomb Rush is better for combat and claiming a sizable amount of turf than the Slosher's Inkstrike (though Inkstrike is good for making enemies move and claiming well-defended turf briefly).
However, if you're at midrange, the Slosher should probably win since it deals more damage at range (the Splattershot's spread means it would miss some shots near the edge of its range, while the Slosher always deals all of its damage as long as it hits). Having said that, using a Burst Bomb to soften enemies up before splatting them with your main weapon is a good strategy for both, probably significantly lowering how long it takes to splat enemies.
The Slosher is good, but it doesn't completely outclass the Splattershot.
Though having said all of that, I don't play Splattershot often (though I should really retry it, I keep retrying weapons I didn't like and enjoying them, so maybe I'll end up liking it on the second try), so I don't know for certain.
So, uh, anyone who actually plays Splattershot more than once in a blue moon, is this even close?
Yeah I'm actually asking this as a Tentatek Splattershot main who has never used the Slosher and hasn't faced very many of them.

From everything people have stated it has better damage, better range and the ability to hit around cover. So the only advantage the Splattershot has is rapid fire, but it sounds like the Slosher is also a pretty fast weapon. So is the difference in rate that big?

EDIT: Also there's pretty much no comparison in the hit box

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
Guys,, before calling the new weapons OP, take a look on some things we have already in the game:

Splattershot Pro = Almost no weakness when paired with some ink saver/recovery gear

Tentatek Splattershot = Virtually no weakness, the only thing it doesn't have is the Splattershot Pro range.

Elliter 3K = Do I need to say that it only weakness is shortened a lot by smart use of its burst bombs?

Dynamo Roller = OHKO rain

Forge Splattershot Pro = Now with point sensors and the freakin' inkzooka

Splash-o--matic = quickly charges one of the two best specials in the game, with immense kill power on close ranges with acuraccy.

Neo Splash-o--matic = "quickly charges one of the two best specials in the game, with immense kill power on close ranges with acuraccy (unlike the silver aerospray)" [2].

Also, on the news Marie jokes about the blaster being OPs for hiting on corners, so the devs joke about people with Little Mac OP syndrome. The only thing that concerned me was the gigantic nerf ono stealth jump, but maybe it was for the best.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
Every weapon is deadly when used by a person who knows how to wield it and the Slosher is no different. Personally I don't think is OP just new and the new often tends to frightens people because the don't know how to deal with it.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah I'm actually asking this as a Tentatek Splattershot main who has never used the Slosher and hasn't faced very many of them.

From everything people have stated it has better damage, better range and the ability to hit around cover. So the only advantage the Splattershot has is rapid fire, but it sounds like the Slosher is also a pretty fast weapon. So is the difference in rate that big?
Ah, you meant the Tentatek? That changes things.
You still have the rapid-fire superiority, but now you have a more balanced weapon in the Tentatek. Suction Bombs help make enemies move and can be placed to catch enemies by surprise to splat them (at least it feels that way, might just be me walking into their range without noticing, or maybe just lag), and Inkzooka has amazing range (just short of E-Liter range, with no charge time, and also it shoots really tall inknados) and power (a one-shot. Always). That on top of the rapid-fire for close combat.
On the other hand, the Slosher wins at mid-range unless you whip out the Inkzooka, can ink turf better since its splashes don't have holes (for what I mean, if you fire the Splattershot for a seconds, there'll be tiny areas where ink didn't land, so that turf wasn't covered even though it's in your range: Sloshers, Rollers (while rolling) and I think Chargers don't have this problem) and Burst Bombs are faster than splashing (or at least it feels faster) and can be thrown at faraway enemies (though you'll need a few hits unless you get center-shots on all of them), and Inkstrikes are still quite useful.
So overall, it depends on what you need. Tentatek is a great combat-focused weapon, while the Slosher is best for midrange combat and inking turf.

Guys,, before calling the new weapons OP, take a look on some things we have already in the game:

Splattershot Pro = Almost no weakness when paired with some ink saver/recovery gear

Tentatek Splattershot = Virtually no weakness, the only thing it doesn't have is the Splattershot Pro range.

Elliter 3K = Do I need to say that it only weakness is shortened a lot by smart use of its burst bombs?

Dynamo Roller = OHKO rain

Forge Splattershot Pro = Now with point sensors and the freakin' inkzooka

Splash-o--matic = quickly charges one of the two best specials in the game, with immense kill power on close ranges with acuraccy.

Neo Splash-o--matic = "quickly charges one of the two best specials in the game, with immense kill power on close ranges with acuraccy (unlike the silver aerospray)" [2].

Also, on the news Marie jokes about the blaster being OPs for hiting on corners, so the devs joke about people with Little Mac OP syndrome. The only thing that concerned me was the gigantic nerf ono stealth jump, but maybe it was for the best.
Well, actually, some of those do have weaknesses, though not big ones. For example, the Splattershot Pro requires quite a bit of investment into Ink Savers/Recovery Ups because its ink efficiency is quite bad, the Tentatek can't really deal with long-range enemies outside of throwing Suction Bombs at them unless you have Inkzooka ready to go, Forge Pro combines the poor ink efficiency of the Splattershot Pro (though only on the main weapon this time) with the Tentatek's inability to deal with long-range enemies well without Inkzooka (except worse, since Point Sensors don't actually deal damage), Splash-O-Matic has short range, Dynamo Roller is slow, E-Liter needs a Damage Up or two for Burst Bombs to do well at close range. Still, those are hardly crippling weaknesses (even the Forge Pro, which I feel is inferior to the regular Pro, is a great weapon since it's good for team-support with the Point Sensors to locate enemies for your team and Inkzooka to crush faraway foes who would otherwise give your team trouble), and they're all very good.

Also, does Marie actually do that? Where, exactly?

Last edited:

Octarian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mickers247
Ah, you meant the Tentatek? That changes things?
You still have the rapid-fire superiority, but now you have a more balanced weapon in the Tentatek. Suction Bombs help make enemies move and can be placed to catch enemies by surprise to splat them (at least it feels that way, might just be me walking into their range without noticing, or maybe just lag), and Inkzooka has amazing range (just short of E-Liter range, with no charge time, and also it shoots really tall inknados) and power (a one-shot. Always). That on top of the rapid-fire for close combat.
On the other hand, the Slosher wins at mid-range unless you whip out the Inkzooka, can ink turf better since its splashes don't have holes (for what I mean, if you fire the Splattershot for a seconds, there'll be tiny areas where ink didn't land, so that turf wasn't covered even though it's in your range: Sloshers, Rollers (while rolling) and I think Chargers don't have this problem) and Burst Bombs are faster than splashing (or at least it feels faster) and can be thrown at faraway enemies (though you'll need a few hits unless you get center-shots on all of them), and Inkstrikes are still quite useful.
So overall, it depends on what you need. Tentatek is a great combat-focused weapon, while the Slosher is best for midrange combat and inking turf.

Well, actually, some of those do have weaknesses, though not big ones. For example, the Splattershot Pro requires quite a bit of investment into Ink Savers/Recovery Ups because its ink efficiency is quite bad, the Tentatek can't really deal with long-range enemies outside of throwing Suction Bombs at them unless you have Inkzooka ready to go, Forge Pro combines the poor ink efficiency of the Splattershot Pro (though only on the main weapon this time) with the Tentatek's inability to deal with long-range enemies well without Inkzooka (except worse, since Point Sensors don't actually deal damage), Splash-O-Matic has short range, Dynamo Roller is slow, E-Liter needs a Damage Up or two for Burst Bombs to do well at close range. Still, those are hardly crippling weaknesses (even the Forge Pro, which I feel is inferior to the regular Pro, is a great weapon since it's good for team-support with the Point Sensors to locate enemies for your team and Inkzooka to crush faraway foes who would otherwise give your team trouble), and they're all very good.

Also, does Marie actually do that? Where, exactly?
Your signature is to true. In a good way.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
people ITT are saying "no, it's a good weapon, but it's not OP" but like...if a weapon is good in the sense that it can perform really well, AND it takes no skill to make it perform that well, that's pretty much the definition of OP imo.
Not really, that just makes it easy to use. Overpowered means that it basically outperforms everything so much that not using it is a disadvantage, The Slosher certainly cannot do long-range suppression like an E-Liter or a Squelcher, or short-range quick splats like a Sploosh-o-matic or a Carbon Roller (I'd even argue that it splats rather slow since it takes two flicks). I've made some mods on another game, so I have to deal with balance issues, and this is a common misconception

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Sloshers never seem to do well in ranked. Except one slosher who had all strength plus gear and made the weapon a one hit kill.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
Yea after playing a bit more I would say that it is definitely not overpowered(I preyed on a lot of slosher users with the luna blaster last night). It is just very overused at the moment. give it a week or so for the hype to die down and I think things will be mostly back to normal.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sloshers never seem to do well in ranked. Except one slosher who had all strength plus gear and made the weapon a one hit kill.
I don't think you can do that, the weapon should cap at 99.9 damage. Unfortunately I can't test it since I don't have that many damage ups

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
It's a Blaster you don't have to aim as well, with better Ink efficiency and better Ink spread.

So yeah, nerf it. Please.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
It's a Blaster you don't have to aim as well, with better Ink efficiency and better Ink spread.

So yeah, nerf it. Please.
And also can't one-shot (though I've heard it can, but it's apparently tricky and I've never seen it). And its range isn't that long. Any weapon that can outrange it (Splattershot Pro-type range and up, Chargers, Heavy Splatling, maybe Dynamo Rollers) or splat in one shot (Rollers, Blasters) should be able to beat it or at least trade reliably so long as it doesn't get the drop on you (like any short-range weapon). It does have the advantage of shooting over walls more easily than the Blasters, but in non-ambush combat it should usually trade at best.
At least, that's what I think.
I don't see it needing nerfs, it'll become more manageable once players get used to playing against it.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
It's okay on tower control, as the ink fires in an arc, so you can KO everyone on the tower basically, but it's not broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom