• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Slosher, OP or not?

Is it OP or not?

• OP! plz nerf!

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Nah. Its not that good.

Votes: 62 86.1%

• Total voters

EvuL Soldier

Inkling
NNID
EvuLSoldier
It's very strong imo, but that's because they're useful on the current meta. It can reliably fight against Tentateks and it can somewhat counter ink walls with either flinging paint above it or just downright killing the wall in no time. It still has some flaws, tho.

Also, it's better to judge the weapon after giving it some time, unless it's clearly strong such as the 96 Deco. It might seem strong but when people start to handle them better, things might start to change. Let's not make the same mistake with the Krak On Roller, shall we?

Umbre

Inkling
NNID
yumebbu
with some damage up, slosher can be guaranteed burst bomb + flick kill no matter how it hits

it seems really good at setting up kills for others or yourself since you can easily trap people in your ink with how much ink it lays down.

however, any gun that outranges it does very well against it

as well, similar to a blaster, all your shots have a fairly long cooldown time before you can do anything other than walk/jump, meaning missing a shot leaves you wide open.

some stuff ive mentally noted from the few sloshers ive seen

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
And also can't one-shot (though I've heard it can, but it's apparently tricky and I've never seen it). And its range isn't that long. Any weapon that can outrange it (Splattershot Pro-type range and up, Chargers, Heavy Splatling, maybe Dynamo Rollers) or splat in one shot (Rollers, Blasters) should be able to beat it or at least trade reliably so long as it doesn't get the drop on you (like any short-range weapon). It does have the advantage of shooting over walls more easily than the Blasters, but in non-ambush combat it should usually trade at best.
At least, that's what I think.
I don't see it needing nerfs, it'll become more manageable once players get used to playing against it.
The Rapid and Range Blasters don't OHKO either, and now the Slosher makes them pointless. It hits quicker, in a larger area and traps enemies in an ink pool. The Rapid/Range Blasters could only dream of doing half of that and still have worse Ink efficiency.

Yeah, out doesn't compete with the Luna in kill Speed, but it outpaces it everywhere else.

Also unless they're not paying attention to the Charger at all, they can decimate them because walls and cover mean nothing to a Slosher. And if the wall is too tall they Ink a vertical path easier and faster than any weapon I've tried.

Like, I'm not saying it doesn't have weaknesses or bad match ups but it's doing its role easier than its closest counterparts but is also more effective.

Imagine what it would be like if the E-Liter charged at Squiffer Speed. What would even be the point of the other Chargers, then? They're a good example because they linearly trade Range for Charge Speed, get more of one, lose some of the other. What does the Slosher trade?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Also unless they're not paying attention to the Charger at all, they can decimate them because walls and cover mean nothing to a Slosher. And if the wall is too tall they Ink a vertical path easier and faster than any weapon I've tried.
True, but that's also true of any weapon going up against a Charger. And true, Sloshers can hit them from below more easily than other weapons, but you can't guarantee that the Slosher player will get that close without either getting sniped or the Charger retreating.

Like, I'm not saying it doesn't have weaknesses or bad match ups but it's doing its role easier than its closest counterparts but is also more effective.

Imagine what it would be like if the E-Liter charged at Squiffer Speed. What would even be the point of the other Chargers, then? They're a good example because they linearly trade Range for Charge Speed, get more of one, lose some of the other. What does the Slosher trade?
It doesn't really have a trade-off, it's more the Mario of Blasters, a weapon that's good at all things but not the best (except at vertical inking, it's kind of the best thing ever there). It has less power than the Range Blaster (minus Burst Bombs, but those don't one-shot, or even two-shot unless you hit with the bomb, I think), and I think it has slightly less range and maybe fires a bit slower than the Rapid Blaster (though I feel the Slosher is better than the Rapid Blaster, that's just my opinion); the regular Blaster has more power, but I'm not sure it has any other advantages outside of its loadouts (which are pretty good for a one-shotting weapon). Splattershotish range is good, don't get me wrong, but it's beatable by quite a few weapons, and any one-shot weapon can smack it down in, well, one well-placed shot.
The Slosher is quite good, like you said, and it's certainly a force to be reckoned with at midrange and even close range (though less so there, unless you're using a Charger or have to wind up your Splatling you should be able to win at close range outside of ambushes), but it's not what I'd call OP. I don't think it outdoes any of the Blasters except maybe the Rapid Blasters, honestly (regular Blaster has easy one-shots with Disruptors, Custom Blaster has team-support with Point Sensor and survivability through Bubbler, Range Blaster has I think maybe equal range (or close to it), Splash Walls to hide behind and Inkstrikes to make enemies move, and Luna Blaster is the ambush king with large blasts to splat enemies in a couple of quick shots even if you don't get the center hit and has Inkzooka for long-range combat, though it's not good outside of ambushing and close combat; the Rapid Blasters I'll give you, I don't know how to defend those). It certainly is easier to use than Blasters though, that is true.

Also, yeah, E-Liter with Squiffer charging would be terrifying.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
My only real issue with the bucket is that for something that shots a large amount of Ink, it certainly doesn't take too much from the tank, meaning the slosher can just keep going and going when it seems like it would be done.
That being said, the range is kind of narrow, so it's super weak to flanking, so just circle around the enemy while firing if you're gonna go in close.

These things are STUPID strong on tower though.

John2Cool

Inkling
NNID
It's not OP, it's not that hard to flank or outrange, you just have to outsmart the user, although, Tower Control is it's bread and butter

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
The Splattershot Pro should outrange it by quite a bit. The Slosher barely has more range than a standard Splattershot, which doesn't have such a great range to start with
I wish, but I tested it and the Splattershot Pro only outranges the bucket by about 15% (3.5 bars to 3). Hard to take advantage of 15%. It takes a Squelcher to outrange it reliably, but then you have to find a way to ink more ground. Hopefully I'll have buckets on my team :)

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I just side step them. They are kinda pissing me off in this Splatfest though, as I feel at least two of the stages somewhat caters towards them. This is the first splatfest I switched from the Aerospray. I am currently using the Custom Jr. just out of spite and to mess with Sloshers. I officially have a vendetta against a weapon group...at least for 24 hours.

Manta

Senior Squid
No, the Bucket is not overpowered. While its strengths are indeed strong, I feel it is held back from overpoweredness by its lack of range.
To its credit, the Bucket is far from a bad weapon. It has great power, being a 2-hit splat (not sure how many Defense Ups are required to lower that), and it's fairly quick. Its Burst Bombs are a good option for long-range attacks, and Inkstrikes are good for forcing enemies to move. Additionally, the Bucket retains its power and accuracy while aimed upward, allowing it to reliably splat enemies at higher elevations and over walls.
However, this thing has a couple of significant flaws. The first flaw is its range. While respectable, its range is beaten by many weapons, letting enemies with superior range mow Bucketeers down from a distance (though if you close that distance, the Bucket should either win or trade most of the time). Burst Bombs can help alleviate this weakness, but only so much. The second, less significant, more subjective flaw that I feel the Bucket has is that it deals poorly with Rollers and possibly Brushes. Any non-Dynamo Roller wins in close combat by swinging at you while you're splashing them with the Bucket (I've heard the Bucket can one-shot people at close range, but that would only upgrade this to a trade, rather than outright losing), while Dynamo Rollers outrange the Bucket, letting them exploit the first flaw. Inkbrushes win at close range (like usual) and have the SONIC SPEED to run away from you (and the Nouveau has Bubbler to prevent you from splatting them when it's ready), while the Octobrush can win or trade at close range (at least I think so, it should at least trade), has not-quite-Sonic speed to run away if it must, and can RELEASE THE KRAKEN to invalidate your attempt to splat them when their special's charged. Finally, and also subjective, the last flaw I can come up with is that it doesn't deal well with Chargers. Yes, if you can get in splash range you'll probably win, but otherwise Chargers wreck Bucket players from a distance. Burst Bombs and Inkstrikes are a way of alleviating this weakness, but only get you so far.
Overall, the Bucket has great strengths, and is probably a viable choice of weapon, but it's not overpowered (or if it is, I'm not seeing it).
But I could be wrong. I don't use the Bucket much, I prefer the Splatling, but I think I used the Bucket enough to conjecture about its usefulness.
Agree except for the charger parts, ANY weapon will lose to a charger from a distance, but the slosher has great vertical aim which makes it easy to get the kill on charger hiding on elevated platforms, for example, on arowana mall, I got over 5 kills on this one (pretty good) charger and each time it was when he was above me hiding no other weapon would've been able to kill him with that much ease.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I dont think it's OP, but mostly, like rollers, I'm already tired of seeing it. Also like rollers, I probably will not use it, simply because of that. If the extreme frequency of usage keeps up, anyway. I dont use the aerosprays for the same reason.

It can be annoying to fight against, but it tends to be weak against the sorts of weapons I usually use (high range, non-charger types). Currently the minigun seems to fill that role nicely, but the Squelchers do also. Not sure what subweapons are best against them though. I'm a bit too used to the Splash Wall right now.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
I don't think it's overpowered. I think it's better than some similar options though, if not most. Maybe it's overtuned, but not OP. It's just a bit better as a choice, for players, than a ton of weapons.

I talk about more of my thoughts on the Slosher here:

Woznito

Inkling
NNID
Woznito
It shouldn't kill in one hit... that's my only complaint...
- Outranges all blasters
- Shoots faster
- Has more ink spread / more ink overall
- Way too powerful
- Then they give it an inkstrike
- Incredibly fast bucket throw speeds

I feel it might be a little OP.. it shouldn't kill as quick as it does.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
- Outranges all blasters
- Shoots faster
- Way too powerful

I'm pretty sure it can't splat in one flick. Since it requires 2 flicks to splat without any Damage Ups, the most you should be able to take it is up to 99.9 (according to Nintendo), which still requires another flick to splat. It also doesn't outrange the Rapid Blaster

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
- Outranges all blasters
- Shoots faster
- Way too powerful

It never splats in one hit in normal circumstances. It's certainly no roller and a lot of guns can take or trade with it in a straight fight. It can be deadly if you're unprepared but otherwise it isn't too hard to beat it. It also can only shoot over cover unlike a blaster which can shoot around as well so it's a bit less versatile in that regard.

You also said it shoots faster twice.

Inkstrike is overrated. The area they cover is pretty small and easily repainted, and Killer Wail easily outdoes it in area denial. The worst they do is salty last-minute victories in turf.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
I disagree with the Slosher being OP, its just a great weapon all around. I've destroyed people with this bucket, and at the same time I've been destroyed using this bucket. It has great advantages such as reaching the high places that Charger players or people in general that just happen to love high places. Its great for making a path to the middle to get there quicker to get a hold of the goal much faster too. Burst Bombs are handy tools for longer distance encounters, or for zoning the opponent to head in a more favorable direction of your choosing. Inkstrike is a great Special to knock campers off their perch, temporarily blocking a critical choke point, or just to make an inconvenience for the opposing team. I've found Tower Control to be its weakest entry just because I personally have extreme difficulty killing anyone on that stupid thing hiding behind the pillar on the platform itself! Burst Bombs haven't been helping that situation too much either, but its a good start.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
The bucket is far from OP. Let Papa Smoothshake tell you how it is done.
  • Sloshers do weaker damage at closer ranges
  • They don't have nearly as much spread at close range
  • This means slosher users have to be very accurate at close range due to this lack of spread
  • Although they have what looks to be good fire rate, it really is deceivingly fast
Combine all of this information together and you have: (DRUMROLL)
A weapon that is bad at close range combat. Now with this knowledge do me a favor and get in the bucket's face and kill them.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
A weapon that is bad at close range combat. Now with this knowledge do me a favor and get in the bucket's face and kill them.
No don't kill me, I never hurt anyone :(.

As far as being close range goes, it hasn't really affected me that much. Its the distant opponents or the ones that sneak up on me that always get me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom