The Splat 25 ~ Splatoon Team Ranking Boards

N-Strike

Full Squid
NNID
N-Strike-Smash
Attention all you kids and all you squids! I have somthing to announce! Myself, @iVortex, @Power, , [USER=779]@Astral, and @Protom have combined to give splatoon another step closer to being a popular esport with a team ranking board! This ranking board is called no other than The Splat 25! The idea of this is weekly, me and my crew discuss what are the top 25 splatoon teams in the WORLD!

FAQ:
Q: When will the ranking board start?
A: We shoot for it to be up and going after the popular Ink or Sink: Testfire is over. We will use the data there to decide the first rankings.

Q: What data will you be using?
A: Mostly tournament data like W/L, How close are your matches, Strengh of Schedule ect. We also might interview players, consult the leader council, do leader polls, and MAYBE community polls

Q: Isnt it to early to do a ranking system like this?
A: I don't think so, we got plenty of tournaments in the future that are coming up and more and MORE teams are comming every day.

Q: Screw you, biased!
A: We are not biased. You may aggre with the list, you may not. People have opinions, but we are putting ALOT lf reasearch in this. trust me.

Q: Are you doing Squads (Like Squids Next Door) or teams (Like Squids Next Door Z)?
A: We are doing teams for this list

Q: Will there be prizes for this?
A: Yes! We may give banners and MAYBE a little cash (we are deciding). Also we might host TS25 exclusive tournaments. Only time will tell c:

Q: I'm Hyped!
A: Me too :)

I hope these rankings will make the splatoon community better! Good luck going for #1 :)

~The Splat 25 Staff[/USER]

Last edited:

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Love to see the rankings! One thing to note, though (if we make your top 25 rankings) is that Inkopolis Underground A and B are temporary groups, and are different in the Salty Splatoon and IoS. I'll hopefully be unveiling more permanent teams in the very near future.

Can't wait to see them! Please keep us posted on their release in this thread. Much appreciated. :)

N-Strike

Full Squid
NNID
N-Strike-Smash
Why are you using a testfire tourney to determine rankings?
We have to remember, IoS:T is still a tournament with a HUGE amount of teams (64). Plenty of these teams are actually REALLY strong. It will give a good picture on which teams are strong. Thanks for the question!
Good luck with this.
Love to see the rankings! One thing to note, though (if we make your top 25 rankings) is that Inkopolis Underground A and B are temporary groups, and are different in the Salty Splatoon and IoS. I'll hopefully be unveiling more permanent teams in the very near future.

Can't wait to see them! Please keep us posted on their release in this thread. Much appreciated. :)
Thanks and ok

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Nice, when you rank Imperious 2 above Imperious 1 be sure to include me as "bye frend."

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Sounds interesting, but I'm concerned that it will be too subjective. You can't accurately measure a team's worth by taking a bunch of random tournament placings, especially this early on. Are you using a points system? If so, how do you decide how much a tournament is worth? How much better is 3rd place than 5th?

My suggestion? Drop this idea, and then a few months down the line, get together a back room of sorts with community leaders, TOs, people working behind the scenes, etc. and work out a team ranking similar to how smash does theirs. I'd love to help out with that if we ended up doing that.

But hey, you do you. Best of luck to you guys

Power

Inkling Commander
I agree with the fact that it is too early to determine the best teams. It does show which ones are at the very least strong teams. We need more large tournament results to have an OK gauge on the top 25 teams

N-Strike

Full Squid
NNID
N-Strike-Smash
Sounds interesting, but I'm concerned that it will be too subjective. You can't accurately measure a team's worth by taking a bunch of random tournament placings, especially this early on. Are you using a points system? If so, how do you decide how much a tournament is worth? How much better is 3rd place than 5th?

My suggestion? Drop this idea, and then a few months down the line, get together a back room of sorts with community leaders, TOs, people working behind the scenes, etc. and work out a team ranking similar to how smash does theirs. I'd love to help out with that if we ended up doing that.

But hey, you do you. Best of luck to you guys
I respect your opinion on the "it's to early thing". I think our staff needs to discuss a point system. The bigger the tournament, the more points available obviously.
Read the "how we will they be ranked" part in the Q&A
I agree with the fact that it is too early to determine the best teams. It does show which ones are at the very least strong teams. We need more large tournament results to have an OK gauge on the top 25 teams
Why, @RoyLee @Math @RocketClauncher @Protom @Power, does IoS 2 have randomized teams? xD. Agreed, we need more major tournaments.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I'm not so sure about this. Interviews/polls, etc, seem fine, but trying to use stuff like that and some other things for ranking people seems like a bad way to not end up objective. There shouldn't be a need to really "agree" with a list if it's fully objective: I mean people will always squabble with which team is the best, but if the numbers say X is better then factually they are better. It's also important to note that the number aren't any numbers: for example rewarding people with points in tournament success does way too much to reward players who play more often. Win Loss is also not important for actual ranking because it, frankly, means nothing in the long term.

If you're going to talk about the 'top 25 splatoon teams', you need the top 25 to be decided through a far more objective method than you've presented in your, frankly rather thin, OP. You can talk about good teams all you want: that's a great idea. But if you want to talk about the best teams, the ranking system you've presented will not work.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Ok, so now that I'm back at a computer I'm going to give this a full response.

Q: When will the ranking board start?
A: We shoot for it to be up and going after the popular Ink or Sink: Testfire is over. We will use the data there to decide the first rankings.
But you'll only have one tournament to go off of. How would your rankings retain any sense of objectivity without just restating the results of IoSTF?

Q: What data will you be using?
A: Mostly tournament data like W/L, How close are your matches, Strengh of Schedule ect. We also might interview players, consult the leader council, do leader polls, and MAYBE community polls
Well that's all well and good, but that's a very abstract and vague idea. How do you weigh things. Are you just choosing arbitrarily? What exactly determines "strength of schedule"? Anybody can come up with what they think would be useful for determining a ranking, but you have yet to show me that you have thought past that stage.

Q: Isnt it to early to do a ranking system like this?
A: I don't think so, we got plenty of tournaments in the future that are coming up and more and MORE teams are comming every day.
>Too early
>Tournaments in the future
Does not compute. Just because there are going to be tournaments happening later does not mean it's not too early. In fact, it supports that notion. You need to wait until you sufficient results to have accurate rankings. And that could be months from now.
Also, with more teams coming every day, that makes it even harder to have a good ranking list. Not to mention that teams are constantly reforming right now because it is so early.

Q: Screw you, biased!
A: We are not biased. You may aggre with the list, you may not. People have opinions, but we are putting ALOT lf reasearch in this. trust me.
You are inherently biased. But that's ok. Everybody is. However, I cannot trust that you are putting "ALOT" of research into it. You have to prove to me that you are. I can't just put that blind faith into you. Everything I see points to this being an incredibly subjective system masquerading as an objective one, and I have no reason to think otherwise.

Q: Will there be prizes for this?
A: Yes! We may give banners and MAYBE a little cash (we are deciding). Also we might host TS25 exclusive tournaments. Only time will tell c:
Well that seems a bit premature. Don't oversell yourself until you're sure you can follow up on something.

I respect your opinion on the "it's to early thing". I think our staff needs to discuss a point system. The bigger the tournament, the more points available obviously.
Read the "how we will they be ranked" part in the Q&A
I don't see a "how we will they be ranked" part in the Q&A

Now, I think this is a really interesting idea, just not in the way that you have proposed. I could see this being an interesting podcast type thing, where once a week (or whatever interval of time), you discuss the top splatoon teams. Who had a good week, who had a bad week, who is up and coming, etc. I would watch that, assuming it had decent production value. What I think you should stray away from is a list.

Despite what you may think, you are not qualified to make such a list (and still be taken seriously). It takes a LOT of people to make a good ranking list (the more people, the less influence each person's bias has and the closer you get to being accurate). I'm familiar with most of your team (only slightly so with @N-Strike and @iVortex , but you seem like stand-up guys), and they're all good people and outstanding members of the community, just not qualified to do what you're doing. Not to mention that there are not nearly enough results to be anywhere near accurate (Give it 6 months, then we'll talk).

I'm not trying to be mean, but this seems to be thrown together with very little forethought as to how it would work or whether it's even necessary. I think you should reconsider this entire thing.

Box

Pro Squid
I think this should aim to be subjective. Ultimately nobody is going to accept "The Splat 25" as anything more than a few people's opinions. Trying to be objective won't work because there isn't anywhere near enough data. The rankings are going to be wrong either way. If it's someone's active opinion/belief then it can start a discussion. If it's some sort of calculated system with insufficient data then there's nothing to say about it aside from the fact that it's wrong because of that exact reason.

That's why I'm not saying that this is a terrible idea. It's basically just one group's opinion and if everyone acknowledges that it could be something to talk about.

Now, I think this is a really interesting idea, just not in the way that you have proposed. I could see this being an interesting podcast type thing, where once a week (or whatever interval of time), you discuss the top splatoon teams. Who had a good week, who had a bad week, who is up and coming, etc. I would watch that, assuming it had decent production value. What I think you should stray away from is a list.
This would probably accomplish the same thing but it would be nice to have something on Squidboards with feedback from the community rather than a few people talking about things they are under-informed about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom