The Splatoon-devs will remodell maps, so...

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Which maps are we talking about that has 2 zones that no one is able to cap? I haven't played those.
Port Mackarel maybe? And Skatepark ist just total chaos and permanent switching for most of the time.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Hm, I like that they're doing such things with the game, instead of just saying "well, it is how it is, deal with it".

I'd love to see changes to Arowana Mall myself... I freaking hate that place. EVERYTHING is focused around that huge central lump, and it just.... ugh. I get tired of it so fast; that map being active is a great way to get me to say "Ugh, maybe I'll do something else for now and come back and play this later".

Not too fond of the Skatepark either... lumpy and bizarre place. I dont think it's BAD, but still....

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Port Mackarel maybe? And Skatepark ist just total chaos and permanent switching for most of the time.
Yes, it is difficult to totally cap on those maps because the zones are close to the spawn and more zones means more to manage in general but its far more fair than the current Urchin because you can just block the enemy out of the game once you have centre control no matter what way they take. It by all means isn't impossible but you are at a severe disadvantage for the rest of the game which likely isn't going to be that long.

Yuubi

Full Squid
It's just a theory but Inklings are kind of "futuristic" so things like these are going to evolve in game, they're just making it turn into a reality. I am going to miss the old Urchin underpass, one of the first maps you've gotten to play in splatoon during e3 as well as in the trailer and one of my favorite spots. Also I've heard Saltspray rig is getting a revamped as well in another article.... I hope not that is my number one favorite map besides underpass and moray towers :/

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
It's easy to cap mackerel, and how are you even listing blackbelly as being unable to cap lol. Play more ranked friend.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I am surprised some people dislike blackbelly skatepark? It is so satisfying squidding around the ramps. I guess it could be a nuisance for rollers and chargers though.

It's easy to cap mackerel, and how are you even listing blackbelly as being unable to cap lol. Play more ranked friend.
I don't see where they said blackbelly was hard to cap, I think they said the opposite actually.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Which maps are we talking about that has 2 zones that no one is able to cap? I haven't played those.
I've had many games on Port Mackerel go over 4 minutes without a single cap. In fact, I just gave up on playing offense there, decided it'd be easier to just camp our own zone with Seekers. If my teammates get a lucky cap, great, if not, I'll force a draw if I have to. Actually managed to become the map I most consistently win (or consistently don't lose) on by taking advantage of how broken it is.

As for Blackbelly, it's easy to cap but almost impossible to hold for more than 3 seconds at a time, you take one point, they take the other, and then you run in circles going back and forth and ultimately getting nowhere. Nobody ever even finishes those penalty timers. Still a fantastic map for Turf Wars and Tower Control, but godawful for Splat Zones.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
With Skatepark I meant it's hard to get a 0-100 going. It's not impossible to cap and win matches by KO, though.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I've had many games on Port Mackerel go over 4 minutes without a single cap. In fact, I just gave up on playing offense there, decided it'd be easier to just camp our own zone with Seekers. If my teammates get a lucky cap, great, if not, I'll force a draw if I have to. Actually managed to become the map I most consistently win (or consistently don't lose) on by taking advantage of how broken it is.

As for Blackbelly, it's easy to cap but almost impossible to hold for more than 3 seconds at a time, you take one point, they take the other, and then you run in circles going back and forth and ultimately getting nowhere. Nobody ever even finishes those penalty timers. Still a fantastic map for Turf Wars and Tower Control, but godawful for Splat Zones.
What rank are you because neither of those situations happen to me.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
With Blackbelly skatepark you really need to strategically place yourself in relation to your team mates.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
What rank are you because neither of those situations happen to me.
I've had those situations happen but rarely, although only higher ranks though. Played in a A/A+ room Port Mackerel where neither team started the counter. We were that evenly matched. The other team only won because they had more ink on the ground, not a single capture. Blackbelly I've had times in higher ranked rooms when counter only gets down to 85, if that, for the winning team. It's more likely in higher ranked rooms as players are less reckless, don't special spawn and don't overextend. I'm not complaining though those were some of the most intense matches I've ever played and were a lot of fun.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Is that not a huge problem on Port Mackerel, which many people have complained about?
Inexperienced players also said Jr and Aerosprays were the best weapons. They say Dynamo is overpowered. Bubbler is broken. Inkstrike is the best special, etc. Once you get to A+ more players understand lane control and how to push.

Last edited:

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Inkzooka on Port Makrel is beyond banannas though

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
Better than nobody ever being able to cap at all on all the 2 zone maps. Are people really complaining that a map is too decisive, that it's not enough of a stalemate?

If this is the direction Splat Zones is going, then boy am I glad we're finally getting custom lobbies so I never have to play it again.
It's better than the current format imo. At the very least the timer should tick down slower. It's far too easy to hold one splat zone for about a minute on certain maps before the timer goes down to zero. Some are just terrible where a single well-placed inkstrike can take the entire zone singlehandedly, Kelp Dome is an especially bad example. Having two zones helps get rid of that issue.

Really, in 1-zone maps it's too decisive, and in 2-zone maps it's way too much of a stalemate. There should be a balance between the two.

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
Really, in 1-zone maps it's too decisive, and in 2-zone maps it's way too much of a stalemate. There should be a balance between the two.
So 1 and a half zones? Snark aside, I only mind the two zones on the port, and I don't think that one zones is too decisive. You just need to know how to push back. Getting a team that knows to do that and how to do that though.... *shrugs* Anyway, I hope they don't update a bunch/all of the maps. I didn't really think the underpass needed the update, but it is a bit forgettable so maybe the update will make it more rememberable.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
It's better than the current format imo. At the very least the timer should tick down slower. It's far too easy to hold one splat zone for about a minute on certain maps before the timer goes down to zero. Some are just terrible where a single well-placed inkstrike can take the entire zone singlehandedly, Kelp Dome is an especially bad example. Having two zones helps get rid of that issue.

Like best of 3? A map has three zones and your timer starts if you have at least 2?

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Inexperienced players also said Jr and Aerosprays were the best weapons. They say Dynamo is overpowered. Bubbler is broken. Inkstrike is the best special, etc. Once you get to A+ more players understand lane control and how to push.
To be fair, Jr and Aerosprays are still some of the best weapons in turf war. Bubbler isn't broken but it definitely will be a huge threat once team communication truly exists. Dynamo? Eh depends on the connection. On some maps Dynamo can stupidly spread ink from afar and not be touched.

As for Port, I've had plenty of games where both teams can't touch the other's zones in Port Mackeral. The main problem is that there is no way to comfortably push the lanes in the presence of an E-liter or any sniper really. 1 Sniper can completely hold down 1-2 lanes consistently, and the only thing you can do to counter act it is try to sneak up through another lane that their teammates cover. However once in control of the zones, it's usually easy to go 100 to 0 if all 4 members of your team are defending it. If you only have say 2 people defending it though, at best you can get 70ish on the timer and just camp the other team out.

This is coming from around B+/-A rank, but I play late at night so generally my opponents are A/A+ Japanese players.

BtheDestroyer

Full Squid

Those red-markings... What do they mean? Stuff that's being removed? Seems like Urchin Underpass is undergoing some BIG changes.
I'll explain each one with a number:

1: The side section seems like it'll be backed up a bit as well as extended. This'll open up the center area and make the side area less overpowered for camping. Also, the grate's being removed (see the picture behind the cross-barricade)
2: The trees that are normally there are being removed.
3: The small sections that allow a path to the center are being expanded as well as the ramp now only taking up half of the width (see the picture behind the cross-barricade)
4: Trees removed at 2 are being moved here.

Also: Does that mean that other maps will be remodelled?
Probably. Maps will most likely change if certain patterns of play develop. Like if there's a map where most players always run to one camping spot and get a ton of kills, that spot will be changed so that can't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom