• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Splatoon Fandom

°Sea Cowie°

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SailorMewn
Switch Friend Code
SW-6832-4486-4403
Sorry for not posting in awhile. School has been pretty overwhelming.

I wanted to talk about the Splatoon fandom.
Overall, I think it's pretty chill. There are some nice people and hilarious posts.
But with the recent Pearl hate, it has been dipping a bit.
I think it's nice to be in a place where the majority of the community are kind people.

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
meanwhile im waiting on pearl and marina amiibo

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Pearl hate is a meme. 80% of all Pearl hate you see is back when we had no idea what their personality was, and it was just "weird gremlin and hawt choctopus waifu" at reveal. Now that we know more about their character, Pearl is very likeable and has grown on most people. The only people who hate Pearl are the marina fanboys, lol.

The fanbase is pretty nice, especially when the Square isn't filled with knee-jerk quick trends emerging and dying.

YarnDrawcia

Full Squid
From what I see, there are a lot of pleasant people in the Splatoon fandom and playerbase. It is actually one of the better fandoms I've seen. Of course, there is no doubt a more terrible side to it, but so does a lot of fandoms.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Overall, I think it's pretty chill. There are some nice people and hilarious posts.
Yeah, Splatoon has been one of the nicer fandoms I've been a part of. (Though this coming from a guy with a Fire Emblem avatar.)

But I will admit; As a day one Pearl fanboy, I had my doubts about people's attitude towards her pre-release, but Pearl seems to have a good reputation now and I'm thankful for that.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I haven't seen anything major from it. Usually fandoms spawn the worst elitist that become a maelstrom for the entire namesake for the entire community, or just weird compulsive obsessive that divide it. The Pearl meme honestly seem to have died down, becoming a playful joke among the community, despite it kinda being a bit tarnish from the start.

The worst to become of this fandom is just people being downright disrespectful, and making sure nobody else succeeds them. This can happen to any fandom, especially when it hasn't received that wave yet. (Keeping my fingers cross that it will never happen, seriously, this fandom is too decent to earn such bad taste.)

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Sorry for not posting in awhile. School has been pretty overwhelming.

I think it's nice to be in a place where the majority of the community are kind people.
I'm legit surprised Splatoon didn't dip down into the atrocious fandom territory. The only really bad fanboys are the waifu warriors.

It's honestly pretty awesome that this is the one shooter without a bad fanbase.

I still get annoyed at Marina fans though pretty easily. It's fine to prefer one over the other, but when people start to treat them like real people, that's when it turns into creepy.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think 'our' saving grace may be that most of the asshats that can spoil a gaming community are dude bro`ers that think nintendo games are for kids and love their gray textured 'Mature' games.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Yeah, Splatoon has been one of the nicer fandoms I've been a part of. (Though this coming from a guy with a Fire Emblem avatar.)
Don't remind me. As far as fandoms I've been a part of, I think Fire Emblem may just be the worst I've seen. I try to stay more neutral regarding the great divide of the elitists and newer fans, though I certainly lean towards defending the newer games since I find them to be great games, even after playing most of the games in the series. I love the series, I love how its changed and how much its advanced, and I love the older games because they are amazing too for the most part. I wish people could just enjoy the games without having to dig in and form sides so stubbornly. (Had to get this all off my chest. ;))

In general, I find the Splatoon fandom to be pretty great overall. We certainly like to complain about weapons we hate to deal with, and there are some jerks who seabag to try and make their opponents play worse or feel bad for no reason. In some circles very competitive minded people can come off as unpleasant, but they don't much influence.

I feel like the vibes of this series make it hard to breed and attract people who would be total jerks to others.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
In terms of shooters from what I've seen, this place is pretty tame.

I've been lurking the forums since splat 1 but was too shy to make posts back then...but aside from childish ink spreading jokes, its pretty nice here.

Same goes from what I've seen for posts in game.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You can do a lot worse than Splatoon's community. The worst problem we seem to have around here is salt, because everybody gets enraged at online games at one point or another. Like others have mentioned, the Pearl hate was a trend, and boy do we cycle through trends rapidly :P

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I generally avoid fandoms entirely. They become toxic fast, or just devolve into repetitive memes (you're lucky if you get the latter.)

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Don't remind me. As far as fandoms I've been a part of, I think Fire Emblem may just be the worst I've seen. I try to stay more neutral regarding the great divide of the elitists and newer fans, though I certainly lean towards defending the newer games since I find them to be great games, even after playing most of the games in the series. I love the series, I love how its changed and how much its advanced, and I love the older games because they are amazing too for the most part. I wish people could just enjoy the games without having to dig in and form sides so stubbornly. (Had to get this all off my chest. ;))

I feel like the vibes of this series make it hard to breed and attract people who would be total jerks to others.
Absolutely agree. Even though the fandom isn't as bad as it was between Awakening and Fates, and Inteligent Systems trying to make a compromise with the newer games (e.g. Conquest and SoV), I can't really see it getting much better at this point; the damage has already been done.

It really makes me appreciate that most of the other fandoms I'm a part of have a much better reputation.
The fanbase is pretty nice, especially when the Square isn't filled with knee-jerk quick trends emerging and dying.
Honestly, I would rather see these trends live and die quickly than have them around for too long and end up wearing out their welcome (plus, I think it makes more sense thematically as Inklings are constantly trying to stay "Fresh").

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Honestly, I would rather see these trends live and die quickly than have them around for too long and end up wearing out their welcome (plus, I think it makes more sense thematically as Inklings are constantly trying to stay "Fresh").
Definitely agree with you on that. And it's fun to watch trends live and die. Makes us feel like a real subculture, and it really breeds the sense of unity Miiverse originally gave us imo.
I don't know if that's quite the reason. Overwatch for example tells a story with its stages, a story of hope, peace, and prosperity. You can see this with stages like Oasis representing hope for Iraq to not be a hellhole for it's entire existence, Horizon Lunar Colony for journeys to celestial bodies, the great amount of diversity in the game showing people of all races getting along (relatively ;p). tl;dr overwatch's vibes are also positive and happy, but as most of us know, Overwatch might just be one of the most unbearable fanbases around. I think what really makes Splatoon's fanbase considerably tame despite being a multiplayer shooter, is the sense of unity I mentioned earlier. Miiverse and now Not-Miiverse/Discount Miiverse really wrapped us all together and made us feel like a community. Splatfest banter, memes, cute drawings, a bit of not-so-E-for-everyone drawings, "mom left us as bestbuy :( " and "wow i love this game also my parents fight a lot"-esque posts, and so on are the things that come to mind when I think of Splatoon posts. I guess it all kept us communicating and gave us a sense of belonging. If I could dare be so bold as to say it, I think getting the Miiverse replacement really saved Splatoon 2 in a way. It'd have a LOT less life in the game if we didn't have ways to post drawings and stuff for other people to see. It was one of the main appeals to me in Splatoon tbh. It felt like we created the world in a way, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom