• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Squiffer can be as effective as a Roller in Turf War

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
If not more.

Let me explain.
First I'll say that I played a few hours with this weapon, and now I manage to constantly get at least 700-800pts each game against decent players in Turf War. (I consider a Turf War team decent when each player pull at least 600 pts in the game.)

The Squiffer is a charger weapon, the one that charges its shots fast, but has less range than the regular Splat charger.
You can shoot ink quicker and that literally changes everything. That's not all, the ink lines it creates are also wider and it still one shots people when shots are fully charged.

The purpose of the charger class in Turf War is to be a defensive support for your team, and you might also be in charge of leading the path to an advantageous position right from the start. I think the Squiffer is the weapon that does this job the most efficiently.

This is my general gameplan and I think it will work fine anyhow the meta will evolve :

At the start of the game, move ASAP to your best opening spot.
I call an opening spot a spot where you can spread ink to help your team to move around and where you can cover several locations where the opponents might come from.
For example, in Walleye Warehouse, the best opening spot for a charger, is being above the 2nd container on your path to the center, imo. This spot lets you spread ink all around the center of the map with fully charged shots, which helps your teammates for movement, and you can clearly see where the opponents come from and react to what they will do since you can go anywhere around the center of the map. (This container also works as a cover for pushing foes, make sure to spread ink around it, although that should not be your top priority.)

Once this is done, spot where the other team is doing things, and move to the best near enough spot to cover this location.
Now your job is to die-hard deny the ink that is being spread by the other team. This is only possible because fully charged shots are quick to pull out and because you have enough range to stay relatively safe from harm no matter what weapon the opponent is using. This makes the foe waste his time, since you cover anything he tries to spread. Try your best to put a large amount of ink around you so you can't be flanked. Eventually, get a clean kill, and that's free turf you can claim very quickly.
After he understands that, he will probably retreat or shift to another area. If that happens you'll be able push back, and you'll set up a path for an ally if you can't do it yourself safely enough. Make sure to put as much ink as possible and quickly enough to block the path.

Repeat this last step over and over. Catch an opponent actions the best you can, deny him, push him back, kill him possibly.
Also make sure to take free turf on your way, spend some time on it unless danger is upcoming, you have a support role, you're the second best at this task below the Roller.

Be optimal at taking turf. Use some little tricks like what I call E-shots. When you must cover a rather large area in ink (like more than 2 lines required), shoot a line, then shoot lines perpendicularly from that last one so you can squid yourself between shots and do the job clean and quickly.
Basically, never shoot 2 lines of ink from the same point unless you can't do better, strafe left or right beforehand to maximise the amount of ink you spread in wide open area. Ink is also droping on your feet when you shoot.

The amount of turf you can take by spreading full lines of ink is comparable to what a Roller can make, no joke.
If you manage to get yourself behind the enemy's front line, 3 full Squiffer lines of ink aligned in the other team's turf is a big pain in their *** to recover. You can even try to deny their reaction, and keep going in screwing their turf over, that's where the fun begins.

I'll add that charger weapons are really good for moving quick at the beginning, I don't really know if a splatdashing splattershot is faster, but it seems pretty close.

I actually think the Squiffer will be better than the Roller as a support role as time goes on, as the meta evolves and players will get better and better, the skill ceiling is pretty high like any sniper class in a shooter game.
The Squiffer might be slightly less effective than the Roller at spreading ink over time, but it has good movement ability (which also means constant ink reloading), and a really great combat potential in good hands, which really seals the deal for me. I did 12-0 1200pts earlier this day on Walleye Warehouse in a lvl 10-15 lobby, you should all take it with a grain of salt but I felt like I completely nailed it, making almost every shots count.

I recommend using the New Squiffer set over the Classic Squiffer one.
Ink Mines are really good for retreat and blocking / covering a path (make sure to hide them behind a wall if possible, enemy ink on the mines gets them revealed).
And Inkzooka is pretty good for killing at long distance from good spots.

The Classic Squiffer set has Point Sensor and Bubbler. Bubbler is meh with the Squiffer imho, can't really get very offensive with it anyway.

Other than the technical requirement and perfect map knowledge that is needed, the Squiffer has some drawbacks :
- If your teammates are doing a terrible job on their part and the other team has a decent lead, you can't carry the comeback on your own, or it'll be very difficult since enemies can surround you easily and there's not much you can do against that. All you really can do is to pull a solid ink path and hope your allies take full advantage from it to clutch the game out.
- Still sucks in close range if you miss your fully charged shot, even though the ink mines can help.
- Sucks at finishing the turf inking, it takes too much time to fill the gaps.
- No grenade, cant do much against a foe hiding on high ground.
- Having several chargers in the same team might reduce the adaptation ability that Splattershot classes bring up. Charger is still quite a static class compared to the rest and is terrible at overall map control, it's only good at keeping one single area safe (and is the best at doing it while spreading a lot of ink) while others try to push forward or capitalize on your work.
- You always have to be one or two steps ahead of your opponents.
- And of course, you don't get as much range as the other charger weapons.

Hope you'll give this weapon a try after that and give me a feedback on your own experience with it.
Read way too much posts about how charger weapons aren't efficient enough for Turf War.

Other charger weapons are definitely too slow to shoot ink, and ink lines are not as wide. Keep them for Splat Zones.

Last edited:

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
very informative post. I really like the squiffer too. I think it's a fine weapon, really. and i honestly think information for how peolple can best use the charge weapons is sorely needed.

A good sniper is a valuable member of the team who can really exert some pressure and defend an area. that said, I think that a bad sniper is the worst and most useless member a team can have in turf war. Too many people who don't care about inking and only want to shoot people, but can't aim. There are so many times i'll get to the results screen of a match we lost, and everyone could have fairly decent scores, but there'll be one person hanging around the team's neck like a lead weight, a sniper with 200p to his name, 0-1 kills and a bunch of deaths.

There's definitely a learning curve, but too many would try and brute force it, rather than actually try to to adapt to the way this weapon might require you to play.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
I agree, a bad sniper is such a deadweight for a team...
Btw I've seen decent players playing the Splat Charger or Splatterscope, I guess that means they have some good use in Turf War. The gameplan to apply is quite different than playing with the Squiffer though. So I can't really explain things about those.

I got better with the New Squiffer set now. I hit at least 800 points everytime now. I just shoot optimally (not losing any pixels of ink on my lines) whenever I can, that's really key to success. Applying pressure while moving back is also a really good thing. If they follow you, they just waste precious time.
One time, I even pulled 11XX points without the victory bonus, the game was quite intense.

Last edited:

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
As someone mentioned before, even a good sniper can't carry the team. yo really need an offensive team for the sniper to be compatible. The way I see it is if the your team is bad the sniper will be bad. I also found the scope sniper is extremely good for first people with less experience. I'd recommend that before going for squiffer.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
The Splatterscope approach is way more difficult to handle for a mid level player, you spend less time in moving and every missed shots you do count even more. You have to play this weapon ridiculously good to be useful for your team in Turf War.
Plus I still find the Splat Charger and Splatterscope not that rewarding in Turf War for the amount of efforts it requires.

I already mentionned a support sniper can't do much with a terrible team, being a support. I agree with you on that.
Although, it does carry games, your role in denying the other team's ink limiting their movement options is important, you also ink back turf pretty quickly. I finished MVP a lot of time against good players (especially from my clan) even with a Jr or Aerospray RG in my team. Those can't hit that much points btw if they spread less ink, due to me "stealing" them from it and having my good share of the cake.
I think being agressive with the Squiffer is possible, by putting a slow and subtle pressure, but you need momentum on ink spreading. I can play quite agressive on Saltspray Rig or Walleye Warehouse for example.

With the spacing ability it offers, I can even handle a pushing Jr Bubbler without too much trouble. How nice is that ?

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Inkster Jr.
The New Squiffer set is really good. You can just pop multiple people in seconds from far away if you have the accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom