The uselessness of ink saver sub

Lenrap

Inkling
I recently tested the difference between using ink saver sub (2 stacks) and not using it at all with the Splattershot (Burst Bombs and Bomb Rush). Both times I threw as many Burst Bombs as I could at full ink before the ink low pop-up came. For both, I could only throw 4 bombs before I couldn't throw anymore. With no stacks of Ink Saver Sub, I had no ink left. With two stacks of ink saver sub, I had a small amount of ink left. While I haven't tested it's effectiveness with more stacks or different subs, I am certain that Ink Saver Sub doesn't save enough ink to do anything with. If you have found a use for this skill, please comment below.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I used it for a little while with splat bombs and came to the same conclusion to its uselessness (with one on I could still only throw one and didn't notice that much of a difference). I guess they didn't want it to open the door to spamming, but as it is it comes across as kind of weak.

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
I don't think we're meant to spam subs like that. It's generally a matter of toss sub, fire away for a little longer than you could without the sub efficiency. If gear can have double stacks of the same ability, maybe 6 stacks will net you a fifth sub toss, but... why?

The thing with gear is that a player should build for the map, their weapon, and their play style. If One is prone to dashing around in ink, they probably don't need ink efficiency or faster ink regeneration. Fast ink swim speed would be more their style, especially when wielding a primary not all that great in CQC-mid range combat. Faster ink regen and ink efficiency are more appropriate for all out offense styles that just don't stop inking. The Splattershot Jr. for example by default pretty much eats an entire tank just throwing a single splat bomb. A few of these sub efficiency bonuses will give an inkling room to throw a splat bomb and lay down some fire, but not much.

I have yet to properly gauge the effects of offense and defense ups. As far as I can tell, their effects are so marginal nothing really changes.

Some effects I'm not sure will ever be useful though, like ink resistance. Rare is the situation when someone would be marching through enemy ink for any length of time when they could just pop a few shots at their feet to solve the problem. At worst, their tank is dry and they're stranded in enemy ink, but then, that's a huge blunder experience can easily avoid.

Last edited:

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I don't think we're meant to spam subs like that. It's generally a matter of toss sub, fire away for a little longer than you could without the sub efficiency. If gear can have double stacks of the same ability, maybe 6 stacks will net you a fifth sub toss, but... why?

The thing with gear is that a player should build for the map, their weapon, and their play style. If One is prone to dashing around in ink, they probably don't need ink efficiency or faster ink regeneration. Fast ink swim speed would be more their style, especially when wielding a primary not all that great in CQC-mid range combat. Faster ink regen and ink efficiency are more appropriate for all out offense styles that just don't stop inking.

I have yet to properly gauge the effects of offense and defense ups. As far as I can tell, their effects are so marginal nothing really changes.
you can also keep firing for longer after using a sub if you have ink saver main or ink up, which both have more uses, so that particular use of saver sub sounds kind of eh.

there was one particular weapon that I was going to test with damage up, but other than that one I can't think of any reason for it if indeed it does make a difference. (someone else may have tested it, but Idk).

You can easily test both using the practice range, as there are blow up dolls with defense ups built into them: 1 2 and 3, and you can strap on any gear you want. The defense ups barely seemed to do anything: With some weapons they would get an extra hit starting usually at the 2nd defense up put on which usually gains you a very small amount of time, and no one shot weapon or sub that I tried not being able to one shot all three of them, though I didn't test very many mains on that tbh. It's only really going to save you if you would otherwise die from slightly ranged heckling from some shooters, giving you more time to get out of the way. If you're being ambushed successfully you're libel to die anyway.

Ultimastrike

Inkling
NNID
Ultimastrike
Honestly my thoughts on Ink Saver Sub could be those weapons that use items such as Sprinkler or the homing Sub that I forget the name of. Other uses could be the Beacon, since all of those use a large amount of ink. Ink Saver Sub should probably be left to those certain builds that need it(i.e. Kelp Charger).

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
The whole point of Ink Saver Sub is to leave you with more ink so that you are not completely out of ink when you use your sub. For burst bombs, ink saver sub is rather useless, but with other subs such as the Wall or the Sprinkler, it becomes much more useful.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
I'm wondering if it isn't meant to be used as a defensive measure. As Lenrap mentioned, the results of subweapons-only without the saver is that you run completely dry--it also means you have no escape options if you're sealed off by enemy ink after tossing out all bombs. That tiny bit left lets you mount a retreat, or to reposition around a corner for better vantage.

So: not completely useless, but its usage case is incredibly specific. Which is to say functionally useless.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I'm wondering if it isn't meant to be used as a defensive measure. As Lenrap mentioned, the results of subweapons-only without the saver is that you run completely dry--it also means you have no escape options if you're sealed off by enemy ink after tossing out all bombs. That tiny bit left lets you mount a retreat, or to reposition around a corner for better vantage.

So: not completely useless, but its usage case is incredibly specific. Which is to say functionally useless.
but in all of those cases ink up and ink saver main would accomplish the exact same thing (well, if you're totally dry then only ink up), and those allow you to do more. You also shouldn't be throwing subs in a situation in which you're pressured to the point of needing to run away unless you're already swimming away just as a counter pressure/may-as-well-do sort of thing.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Personally I believe it's not very useful. If you throw a sub forward, you're probably going to want to stay in your own ink for a little time which allows you to refill anyway (or shoot to a side path and continue your way). So it's very situational. In my opinion there are better power ups for your equipment.

jkid391

Senior Squid
Ink Saver sub sucks, but Ink Savor Main is amazing. I use a Splattershot Pro, and it takes up a lot of ink at one time, so using the Ink Saver Main makes a big difference, especially since I have stacked at 2.

Reactions: 1o2

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I generally have the reaction to throw a bomb before hiding in ink then I don't want to engage someone after spraying stuff a bit ; Fell like I always it give me just enough ink to do that with that upgrade ; but guess that just me.

But for sub that use all your ink otherwise, it allow you to shoot a bit which is...Something ; also allow you to throw 4 burst bomb without needing to reload.

Grasp

Inkster Jr.
you can also keep firing for longer after using a sub if you have ink saver main or ink up, which both have more uses, so that particular use of saver sub sounds kind of eh.

there was one particular weapon that I was going to test with damage up, but other than that one I can't think of any reason for it if indeed it does make a difference. (someone else may have tested it, but Idk).

You can easily test both using the practice range, as there are blow up dolls with defense ups built into them: 1 2 and 3, and you can strap on any gear you want. The defense ups barely seemed to do anything: With some weapons they would get an extra hit starting usually at the 2nd defense up put on which usually gains you a very small amount of time, and no one shot weapon or sub that I tried not being able to one shot all three of them, though I didn't test very many mains on that tbh. It's only really going to save you if you would otherwise die from slightly ranged heckling from some shooters, giving you more time to get out of the way. If you're being ambushed successfully you're libel to die anyway.
Well see, some subs consume nearly an entire tank, if not the entire tank, like with Splattershot jr. If it consumes the entire tank, ink saver main isn't going to amount to jack diddly after a sub toss.

Though generally it is kind of rare that a sub eats the entire tank.

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
Sub weapons use A LOT of ink.
The ability probably doesn't save a significant amount of ink, probably 5%.

The way you tested it would be slightly inaccurate due to the ability only saving a little bit. The amount you had left changed, but it wasn't enough for another bomb.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I think Useless is a bit of a harsh judgement. Less useful than others, sure, but useless seems a bit much. Like it's been pointed out, Saver Sub isn't meant to enable spamming, it's meant to allow you to use subs and fire from your main in easier junction, leaving you unlikely to be high and dry after using one sub. For aggressive weapons, this can be handy. For others, like basically anything using Burst Bombs, it's not that helpful. Like most abilities, it depends a lot on set and playstyle. Maybe not worth using as a main ability, but unless you're gunning to have a specific optimized set, a couple of it as a sub ability can't hurt for things running splat bombs or splash walls.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd say Ink Saver (sub) is only really useful while being a Main ability, as it's effects are a lot more significant than having one or two sub abilities here and there. However, I'd suggest to use it mostly to be able to throw a sub weapon and still have ink remaining to shoot instead of hoping to spam Suction Bombs everywhere (especially when using Splash Walls, as those can be very ink-consuming for they way they're supposed to be used)

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Can't you throw 4 burst bombs in a row with saver-sub instead of 3?

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Can't you throw 4 burst bombs in a row with saver-sub instead of 3?
I think its more than one main. Or main + a few subs.

It's useful will splash wall for sure. Although I would rather have them as subs and get another more useful main like cold blooded, ink recovery, damage up (if main is E-liter). As others have said its better if your strategy is using it as a way to save ink for the main weapon rather than trying to use the sub weapon as a viable main weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom