The Vanilla Splat-Roller - What's up With it?

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
Okay, so I've seen that most of us know the meta of ranked Splatoon right now. (I'm assuming A+ to S+ rankings) But, what's up with the Vanilla Splat-Roller?
No one uses this thing and it's getting pretty ridiculous. I know that the Krakon version has the better special, but doesn't the beacons hinder its performance? And when considering the other rollers like the dynamos and the carbon, does it just not compare up to them?
I've recently been playing this weapon in S rank (and some A+) on tower control and, so far, it was great! I was getting higher KD ratios and once I even managed to get a 17-4 ratio game.
Okay, I've been off topic so here's the real underlying question: Why is the Vanilla Splat-Roller overlooked?

Magnus0

Pro Squid
Because it doesn't have a panic button, unlike the krak-on.

Also the carbon roller is just better.

Also also, the vanilla roller takes some time to get good with. A weapon like the tentatek has the same options as the vanilla roller, but it's overall much easier to use. Most people prefer to use weapons that are easy to use. Why do you think that tentateks and luna's are so popular while weapons like the bamboozler, the custom jet squelcher and the soda slosher, some top tier weapons, are not used a lot?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Because it doesn't have a panic button, unlike the krak-on.

Also the carbon roller is just better.
Honestly same, but the carbon isn't automatically better than the vanilla splat roller, neither is the krak-on, mostly because suction bombs help deal with splash walls and provide an option for ranged opponents, something the krak-on can't do.
:wst_roller_normal00::With the suction bomb/killer wail, it can stop pushes on the tower rather well, as well as pop rainmaker shields. It's in no way a bad weapon, however it's role is overshadowed by other rollers.
:wst_roller_normal01:: Close range weapon that supports the team with beacons, and can infiltrate with a kraken.
:wst_roller_compact00:: Insanely fast splat time, and what could possibly be the best close combat weapon in the game comes packed with :inkzooka: to repel long-range squids.
:wst_roller_heavy01:: This weapon has a throw-able bomb as well, with more range, and great turf controlling abilities, however it's slow.
The tempered Dynamo has the same special::killerwail:, with more range, however like all dynamos it's crazy slow.
:wst_roller_heavy00:: Has a mid-range OHKO, good turfing abilities, with :echolocator: to support teammates.
:wst_roller_compact01:: I really don't know how to use this weapon, I didn't see the potential with it, but I've seen some good play with it.

Corocoro: Just use the carbon roller if you wanted inkzooka, the wall doesn't help it out too much.

Honestly if you wanted a weapon that repels foes off the tower with :killerwail: and a 1shot, the vanilla blaster is a great choice.
Still the vanilla splat roller is simply underrated in the meta, it has a nice niche that teams could possibly fill out, but most tend to go with the popular choices for rollers. As they have huge strengths and huge weaknesses that their reliable teammates can cover.

Sorry for this long post, I'm a charger main by the way, so if my analysis is a bit off putting, sorry I don't use rollers too much, I just see how they function with their kits and theorized what they could do with them.

Hope this helped answer your question ;)

Last edited:

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
Still the vanilla splat roller is simply underrated in the meta, it has a nice niche that teams could possibly fill out, but most tend to go with the popular choices for rollers. As they have huge strengths and huge weaknesses that their reliable teammates can cover.

Sorry for this long post, I'm a charger main by the way, so if my analysis is a bit off putting, sorry I don't use rollers too much, I just see how they function with their kits and theorized what they could do with them.

Hope this helped answer your question ;)
Thanks for this insight. I would've never thought about this so as in-depth as you did!

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Expanding off of Magnus' point, it suffers a similar plight to that of the regular splattershot or, to a lesser extent, the regular splat charger.

The regular splattershot is a great turfing weapon with good splat potential and zoning capability, but inkbrushes/dynamos/aerosprays are AMAZING turf weapons.

Splat charger's splat bombs do a great job of deterring mid-close range attackers, but the e-liters' burst bombs are faster and the kraken is...well, the kraken.

The splat roller is a very good all around weapon.
The problem is, it isn't THE all around weapon, which we attribute to the tentatek.

I still see splat rollers/chargers and regular splattershots, but they are very much overshadowed by their slightly different, subjectively better and flashier counterparts.

drwatson

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2514-7147-4516
I have the Splat Roller maxed out in turf, and it's probably my favorite roller, but I don't use it as much as I used to. It's outclassed by other weapons that are better than it in almost every aspect (like the Tentatek). Not to say the Splat Roller is bad - I think it's still pretty decent because it has a great kit for the kind of weapon it is, allowing it to zone opponents really well (which the Krak-on can not do as well; Coro-coro has good zoning but it has a different play-style, with its wall + zooka). Like I said though, it just gets out-shined by weapons that are better overall, or just easier to use, but it's still pretty solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom