The Wasabi Splattershot, the new Meta weapon?

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
Now don't get me wrong when I say this, but it seems as if the Wasabi Splattershot has already taken its place as one of the Meta weapons we know and sometimes hate.
With the 2.7.0 update, aka the new 2.2.0 update, the Tentatek Splattershot now loses 75% of its special with every splat, and the normal Splattershot has new ink hungry burst bombs.
With the Wasabi Splattershot, it seems to be as if the Splatbomb substitutes for the Suction Bomb, and in my opinion, that's a great thing.
But even though it doesn't lose 75% of its special, it still has a lacking Inkstrike special, even though it has some new power since the update as well.
I was just wondering to ask all the fresh Inklings out there, what their opinion is on the Wasabi? Is it the new Splattershot we wanted? Or is it just another blowover weapon?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Hard to say right now, gotta wait until the new weapon hype wears off. I still think the original variants are better strictly because Bomb Rush/Inkzooka > Inkstrike, but I would not be surprised at all if they remain popular.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
It is certainly a beast in Turf Wars. It has the splatting power that the splattershots are known for. The splat bomb is very good. The inkstrike isn't awesome in ranked modes (maybe excepting Splat Zones), but in Turf Wars you can cover a lot of turf, push snipers around, and get those last second wins. I am enjoying it immensenly. It is exactly what I wanted in the .52 Deco - powerful shooter, inkstrike, but with a throw-able bomb.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
It's a serviceable alternative to the Tentatek in Splat Zones and Turf War, but bear in mind that the Wasabi doesn't have a huge advantage over the Tentatek in the special depletion department. The Tentatek may lose 75% of its special gauge upon death, but the Wasabi also loses a hefty chunk, at 60%. And if we bring the original Splattershot into this, it beats both of them, as it loses only 40% of its special gauge. (Also, bear in mind that the changes to Burst Bombs that made them stronger but more expensive have made Burst Bomb Rush a significantly better special now.)

In the end, I expect that once the novelty of a new weapon wears off, the Tentatek will still be the favorite Splattershot by a significant margin, with the Wasabi and original seeing some use mainly in Splat Zones.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Personally, this is my favourite Splattershot, the Splat Bomb is more versatile than either the Burst Bomb or the Suction Bomb. I applaud it for the Inkstrike, as I personally like that special and its potential, and there's finally a version that isn't completely overshadowed by its counterpart (like the .52 Deco). The thing is the 75% vs 60% special loss is very significant, since it's more than that as the Inkzooka takes 220p to charge versus the Inkstrike's 180p. That already has a huge impact, as 75% of 220p (55p left from full) loses more charge wise than 75% of 180p (44.5p charge left from full). Whilst you're left with 10.5p more, you need to charge 165p to regain your special versus 135.5p for 180p charge specials. Those 29 and a half points are significant enough in Ranked, where map control stays consistent until one team pulls off a successful aggressive push. The fact that the Wasabi loses 60% instead of 75% makes the difference even greater.

There are many uses for Inkstrikes in Ranked battles too, so it's no good writing them off as a "useless" special. You can pop the Rainmaker shield, force people off of the Tower (or provide your teammates a short amount of cover), push snipers off their perch for enough time to approach them whilst they are forced to retreat. You can even take turf off them near their spawn in Zones to hinder how quickly they get back to the centre, buying your team additional time to improve your defensive line, catch up to take the lead our to further increase your lead. The possibilities are endless, you just need to figure out the best use for the Inkstrike at the time.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
In my opinion the Berry Splattershot Pro is the one to watch.

The Splattershot Pro has pretty much always been extremely viable in the meta and it just received a helluva buff in 2.7.0. The Berry Splattershot Pro is going to be the top of the top support weapon as it's able to kill quickly and efficiently and able to pressure opponents, knock Chargers from perches and easily reclaim zones with its sub and special. Suction Bombs do these jobs more effectively than the Inkstrike if you ask me.

I love the way the Wasabi Splattershot looks but I still don't think it's going to be as popular as the Tenatek, even if the Tenatek has just been nerfed slightly.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I've been running a fun gimmick with my Wasabi in SplatZones.
1 Damage Up main and 2 Special Charge up mains.
It's so good!

s_miyahon

Inkster Jr.
I think it'll be pretty effective when stacked with Quick Respawn. Splat Bombs are great for aggressive plays and more effective as a surprise weapon when superjumping. Plus dying wouldn't matter as much, considering it's the Inkstrike.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Well I think I've used my Wasabi enough now (I have 23,000 Turf Inked) and I've experimented with playstyle, sets, and just general use of this weapon.
And I've come to the conclusion that i like this one waaaay more then the Tentatek. It's pretty funny actually. The Tentatek is my most loved weapon, my most turfed weapon ('round 144,000), My best K/D weapon (18/6. The normal Blaster being a close contender with 17/5), and the only weapon I got a quad with. But I still enjoy playing this weapon more.

Well about the Wasabi. From all the bombs, I always liked the Splat Bombs the most. So I'm pretty happy that the Wasabi got it as a sub weapon. It just really complements the weapon well (btw all the Splattershots share all the bombs. Funny thing to note). Like @s_miyahon already said, it allows for more aggresive play, whilst you can still use the bombs defensively. The Suction Bombs only work for zoning out an area/ scaring opponents away, because the timer lasts longer then the Splat Bombs on the Wasabi.

About Specials, the Inkzooka is obviously better then the Inkstrike, let's be fair. But I don't like how most people are hatin' on the Inkstrike. Just because it's not a "panic button" Special like the Kraken, or a straight kill power Special like the Inkzooka, doesn't mean it's bad. It just needs to be played more strategically. Like,: Timer almost counting to zero and you have no time reaching the zone? Try using an Inkstrike! Just took the zone and enemies respawning? Use your Inkstrike on a choke point! The Bad Guys almost took your zone? Try using it on where they're at! Not on your Zone! Only 1 of your teammates alive while popping the Rainmaker? Send an Insktrike to your teammate and Super Jump to him! Those were just some examples where an Inkstrike could be used effectively. While it's still not that great of a Special, please don't say it's useless or reject it because it's just an Inkstrike.
lol 69'st post hahahahaha...

Last edited:

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Now some Fresh sets! Like I mentioned before,
I've been running a fun gimmick with my Wasabi in SplatZones.
1 Damage Up main and 2 Special Charge up mains.
It's so good!
The :ability_damage::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: works great on it! The :ability_damage: gear I recommend the most is the:head_hbd002: with :ability_quicksuperjump: so you can get back in the battle more quickly (The Zink layered LS does the same if you have the pure version of the :head_hbd002:). Or :head_eye005: so you're (almost) instantly outside of the lag animation. The FC Ablacore works fine too because you get :ability_damage: combined with:ability_specialcharge:. The :shoes_cfs001: are also good for some :ability_swimspeed: which is always good to have. That was all the :ability_damage: gear you can wear. And :ability_damage: isn't even that needed. Instead of :ability_damage: you could anything else really. The :ability_damage: is mostly filler anyways (But the Defence meta is going in strong).
For :ability_specialcharge: Headgear I would recommend :head_vis001: because :ability_inksaversub: is handy to have on any weapon with the :splatbomb:, the :head_cap005:also works for some :ability_quickrespawn: if you like to go the aggresive route. For Clothes the :clothes_shirt008: works because it's exactly the same as the :head_vis001: only on a different gear slot. The :clothes_tes007: is good because you get the :ability_swimspeed:. You could also use the :clothes_tly002: if you like to stack some more :ability_damage: but that's not a priority. For:ability_specialcharge: Shoes the Clownfish Basics, the Punk Whites/ Turquoise Kicks and the Zombie Hi-Horses all work because :ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_quicksuperjump: are all good on this weapon. Also Shiny :ability_specialcharge: with :ability_bombrange: will work great! If you have them, go ahead and use them!

A "Sanic" build works great too! Here's the one I'm pleased with: :head_cap006:, Squidstar Waistcoat( Why no icon lol, this item is meta),:shoes_shi005:.
I think you can figure this out yourself but here's an explanation: :head_cap006: because :ability_inksaversub:. You can also run Paisley Bandana. Squidstar Waistcoat so echo's don't completely ruin your "sanic speed" and it's useful in general.:clothes_tes010: and :clothes_tel006: also work if you want less ink-hungry bombs/better strafing respectively.
The :shoes_shi005: because :ability_inkresistance: is always good on sanic builds. It lets you be more mobile in enemy ink yada yada. :shoes_bot003:if you like better strafing, :shoes_cfs000: if you'd like more bombs, and the :shoes_sdl000: if you want good strafing but still want to maintain your sanic speed.

A take on the sanic build is tanky version of it! Note: I have no Pure :head_eye001: and I try to only use natural rolls but if you have any good gear that replaces mine then feel free to use those instead!

What I personally also like to use is a Tanky sanic build on this weapon (or Splooshes, Tentateks etc.) Is this one: :head_cap001:,clothes_vest000,:shoes_slp002:
This is very basic and is basically only :ability_defenseup::ability_swimspeed: ( if I had perfect natural rolls ofcourse...) But you can always switch it up if you'd like too! Just use these as guidelines. Like if you have a Purefect Splash Goggles then you can just run: :head_eye001: , Squidstar Waistcoat, :shoes_lts000: or :head_eye001: ,:clothes_tel006:,:shoes_shi005:

Hope this helped anyone because this certainly helped me! ( The sets helped me.... not the posts)
Have a nice day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom