• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 The Worth of Quick Respawn

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
There's been some talk with quick respawn and clam blitz (I know DUDE talked about it maybe being quite viable). Although it doesn't appear to be as great as predicted (at least not in solo queue) I think it still has quite the potential. I know the Japanese have been using quick respawn (I watched team olive play against a Japanese team in the Inkergalactic Cup) and just watching the top and the difference of how quick you can make it back into the field of battle. It was pretty eye-opening how much of a difference it could make. I've been trying to get some more quick respawn to experiment with and watching how fast you can make it back to mid is pretty crazy sometimes. If you're being pressured at your base and you mess up or get caught off-guard you can get back to them faster to kick them out. Here's a video demonstrating quick respawn in this game:

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
QR seems very useful for oinkbroosh users. They die a lot and need to get more clams fast.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
QR seems very useful for oinkbroosh users. They die a lot and need to get more clams fast.
Especially if you are using inkbrush in clam blitz running for clams and booking it to the basket. If you get killed while doing so then you can get back to it much faster.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
It can work as a safety net to get back in quicker to stop a push, but in this game more often than not you only need one good push to get a substantial lead and win. If you're thinking of using it as a way to get back in quicker to keep your push going, you will most likely cancel the ability because you will need to kill to keep it going in the first place, otherwise your push will be at a disadvantage.

The point is, Quick Respawn, like many other abilities that people find useless or say that they suck, is because they are too situational, and people would much rather have passive boosts that will help them throught the whole game no matter what, and wouldn't have to change the way they play to get the most out of their perks.
Quick Respawn requiring you to die on your first life without getting a kill for it to proc can lead to the one devastating push by the enemy team that gives them said lead and makes it much, much harder on you to take it back.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
It can work as a safety net to get back in quicker to stop a push, but in this game more often than not you only need one good push to get a substantial lead and win. If you're thinking of using it as a way to get back in quicker to keep your push going, you will most likely cancel the ability because you will need to kill to keep it going in the first place, otherwise your push will be at a disadvantage.

The point is, Quick Respawn, like many other abilities that people find useless or say that they suck, is because they are too situational, and people would much rather have passive boosts that will help them throught the whole game no matter what, and wouldn't have to change the way they play to get the most out of their perks.
Quick Respawn requiring you to die on your first life without getting a kill for it to proc can lead to the one devastating push by the enemy team that gives them said lead and makes it much, much harder on you to take it back.
Well while it would be nice to be able to get back faster during a push, that's sort of off the table. What's different is that there are times when you don't kill anyone and get killed. A lot of times you can get over-pressured by the other team pushing or get sharked or just lose a 1v1 and having QR means you can get out to help stop a push faster. So many times this happens when I don't have QR and I can't do anything b/c I'm still respawning. If you trade and die first then you get to mid by the time the other guy is just getting out of spawn which can make a huge difference. I'm not saying you should stack QR like people did in S1 (which is still a situational perk requiring you to die). After using QR I've realized how many times it actually comes into play and I don't really notice it when I'm not using it. Basically I don't think it's worthless and it's helpful when you get overwhelmed during a counterpush.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
That is exactly my point. Did you read the first line of my post?
It's harder to get that "said lead" when people are respawning faster. Even if a team pushes after the first death chances are they're not gonna get a game winning lead just by killing some people one time. Now if they manage to continue and you get shut down on the second life, then yeah your point applies and it's a safety net to prevent a game-winning lead. But many times it's difficult to define a game-winning lead in the first place. Many times I've won leads of like 30 points (70 left) and others I lose leads of like 90 (less than 10 left). And aside from strong pushes (which consist of about a minute and a half of a full length match), dying w/o killing still happens regardless of what full-match perks you're running and QR is there to let yourself back into the match. Don't get me wrong QR isn't the best ability out there but there's definitely some merit to running it.

Pushing doesn't take up the entire match. A lot of time is spent killing people to clear way for a push, and people aren't gonna make (or in many cases be able to make) a push by killing one person. So lets put ourselves in this situation where we're trying to get a push going (we're not pushing we're trying to kill and take control so we can push). You kill people: Awesome you're helping the objective and winning the game. QR isn't helping you during this life but it doesn't matter because you're winning. You die without being able to do anything: You get back in faster and try again with less time being helpless respawning. Other scenarios: You suicide the rainmaker: falling/drowning respawn times are shorter and with QR it's even less of a punishment to suicide the rainmaker. You super jump right into an enemy waiting to shark: ya dun goofed but at least it won't take as long. If you managed to get them after dying w/ a bomb then you'll be back way before they are.

Again I'm not saying that QR is amazing and you should be stacking loads of it in your sets, but running some can save you valuable seconds of helpless time. It's an interesting ability and interesting to run. It's not amazingly strong like it was in S1 but I believe it has some value. If they made it more effective or if you didn't have to die first, then even better. Just 3 subs can save you a second and a pure a little over a second and a half. If they made a pure like 2ish seconds that'd be great but idk I guess all it is now is fun/interesting to use. But still I think there are more situations than meets the eye where QR applies...

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
QR has been nerfed so much it's close to useless right now. The only real value i imagine it has is to practice being aggressive with your plays but that's still just for practice. In terms of closing the cap, Swim Speed Up is vastly more useful as it allows you to move faster out of spawn all of the time instead of QR triggering only after 2 failed deaths. QR isn't something like a niche ability like Thermal or Sub Power Up, it's just bad.

QR fails especially hard on weapons with sensors/mines and armor, as any enemy marked and then splatted counts as an assist and any teammate with your armor on splatting someone also counts as an assist resetting your QR counter. Special Saver, Comeback and even QSJ are way better than QR if you're going for a death-prone build.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
QR has been nerfed so much it's close to useless right now. The only real value i imagine it has is to practice being aggressive with your plays but that's still just for practice. In terms of closing the cap, Swim Speed Up is vastly more useful as it allows you to move faster out of spawn all of the time instead of QR triggering only after 2 failed deaths. QR isn't something like a niche ability like Thermal or Sub Power Up, it's just bad.

QR fails especially hard on weapons with sensors/mines and armor, as any enemy marked and then splatted counts as an assist and any teammate with your armor on splatting someone also counts as an assist resetting your QR counter. Special Saver, Comeback and even QSJ are way better than QR if you're going for a death-prone build.
I was thinking about this like right after I posted my most recent reply with swim speed, and I agree with you. QR is very weak but it is not completely shut out by everything. It still has its own benefits which are nothing more than interesting to see. I just remember watching a recent match where one team was using QR and they just kept coming back so fast regardless of how good at killing the other team was (they were both still very good) and they ended up winning because they had that fall back.On a second note, after using QR I found that assists don't count, which means if you have a weapon that ends up getting a lot of assists and not a lot of kills then this could be useful. Also, I'm not entirely sure but there were definitely times where QR activated twice in a row so I don't think you have to die twice every time for it to activate. Nonetheless, you're right it is very weak.

I'm gonna do some more testing today to make sure about dying twice every time so I'll be sure soon...

EDIT: I just tested it and all it means when it says you have to die without killing twice is that QR never counts on your first life. Lets say you kill on your first life, then don't kill on your second. You get QR. If you kill on your 3rd and 4th, but don't on your 5th, QR still activates. So any life beyond the first one where you don't kill, QR activates. That's kinda stupid but yeah that's how QR works in this game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom