Theory about "Ranked Battle" modes

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I was actually pretty confident that the only ranked game mode is the Splat Zones. At least I dont recall seeing or hearing anyone to tell about other game modes in ranked orientation.
the developers have been teasing new gamemodes in interviews and their twitter with the way they word things, suggesting that there's more than just splat zones

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
the developers have been teasing new gamemodes in interviews and their twitter with the way they word things, suggesting that there's more than just splat zones
Oh, well then I've completely missed that. Having some sort of variation is never bad, as long as people can choose which game mode they want to play. Having some sort of rotation where people are forced to play a game mode they may not want to play would be rather stupid.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Oh, well then I've completely missed that. Having some sort of variation is never bad, as long as people can choose which game mode they want to play. Having some sort of rotation where people are forced to play a game mode they may not want to play would be rather stupid.
yeah i agree, but i've actually never really seen something like this done in a game (since it's a bad idea) so i don't think it'll actually happen :P

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
yeah i agree, but i've actually never really seen something like this done in a game (since it's a bad idea) so i don't think it'll actually happen :p
Indeed. It's quite nasty that they haven't given any sort of demo or beta version for the public so we just need to make our own guesses and theories about these things! IT'S WORSE THAN WAITING TO GET YOUR CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Indeed. It's quite nasty that they haven't given any sort of demo or beta version for the public so we just need to make our own guesses and theories about these things! IT'S WORSE THAN WAITING TO GET YOUR CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!
considering they put out demo codes for smash 3ds and mh4u and codename steam, i hope they do for splatoon! they're good about releasing demos to increase interest in their games, but so far they've all been for the 3ds...

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
considering they put out demo codes for smash 3ds and mh4u and codename steam, i hope they do for splatoon! they're good about releasing demos to increase interest in their games, but so far they've all been for the 3ds...
Not demo codes! A public demo, PLEASE! There's nothing closer to torture than watching someone playing a game that you dont have access to o_o

Oniric

Inkster Jr.
Here's the thing... why shouldn't ranked force players outside of their comfort zone? It's meant to be challenging. Playing only modes you know you're good at is basically cheating the system. Sure, maybe you're great at one mode... but do you really deserve an A+ rank if you're terrible at every other ranked mode?

It shouldn't even be a predictable cycle that people can avoid. Every game of ranked play should be a random mode, to force players to become better at each of the modes the system covers.
How about both specfic mode and general over view rankings?
Like:
Turf Wars: A
Splatzones: C
1on1(if there is):C
Another mode: B

General rank: B

Fedorable

Inkling
NNID
Mistanutjob
On the topic of game modes in ranked battles: Have multiple playlists!

Playlist A- Turf Wars

Playlist B- Splatzones

Playlist (?)- Whatever other game modes are unannounced

Playlist D- Variety playlist (all game modes)

Mr.Man17

Full Squid
Not really feeling it. I have game modes I hate so not into the whole rotating thing.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Plus Treehouse outright said that there were other unannounced game modes in Ranked Mode.
And I mean, ever since Ranked Modes was confirmed, like you said, they have always left it plural. Plus it would be weird to click ranked mode and only see the option for Splat Zones.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Hmm. It's difficult. I'm not sure if a rotation would be good, especially if it was weekly. If there's a game mode that I just don't like and that's the only one playing in Ranked, I'm not going to want to play all week. A daily rotation could work out a lot better. The variety remains but it's changed up more frequently. That, or there could just be a vote before each game starts. Most shooters tend to go down that route anyways. Only problem is that it sucks when you want to play a particular game mode but nobody else votes for it multiple times and you never seem to play it. :(

If none of those, maybe it should just be randomized every time you play. Of course, then you may have people quitting the match if that happens. Though I suppose that could happen even in the voting scenario.

Lochy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lochinator
I personally think you should have the choice of what game mode you play. But I also think Nintendo should have a shuffle mode with every/ most of the gamemodes in a shuffle. Having shuffle/ choice in ranked sounds good to me.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
It was just a theory but, after the reveal of map rotation, I'm now even more sure the modes in Ranked Matches will rotate, just every 4 hours, along with the maps, instead of a week as I had said (It was really not a very good bet for the time period :p )

Lochy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lochinator
It was just a theory but, after the reveal of map rotation, I'm now even more sure the modes in Ranked Matches will rotate, just every 4 hours, along with the maps, instead of a week as I had said (It was really not a very good bet for the time period :p )
Oh ok got it. I was a little worried for a second lol!

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I thought they said in the Direct that unranked was Turf Wars only and ranked was Splat Zones only. That'll probably change when they add the other modes in August, but for now I would imagine that if there were other options available at launch we would've heard by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom