• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Theory Crafting: Carbon Roller

Tri

Inkling
NNID
chambergojd
I really admire Carbon players, this weapon is fantastic and gives a nice show in a pro hands. I could try it sometime later, your build suggestions gave me a north to think about.

A question, in your opinion (or personal experience) which's the worst mode to play as Carbon Roller?
If there's one mode I kinda struggle with it would have to be Tower. The tower is usually just a tad too tall to hit with the sweetspot unless you're at Kelp or Piranha. Sometimes you only get the weak hit, or you'll try to use Burst Bombs to get direct hits. The pole at the top protects against both of those. Blasters are generally better at attacking from beneath the tower and outshine the Carbon in that area.
Plus the tower is usually heavily guarded if the team is competent enough to defend it. The Carbon needs to go headfirst to stop any advances and in doing so usually gets shut down. In these situations you usually need a good amount of team support to cover you while you do your best to get past the other teams defense. I will say though that the weapon is a beast at overhead attacks. You can usually get a kill or a trade at best. Once you're on the tower, if your team has taken out the most prominent threats, you're pretty much free to have your way.
Once on the tower the Carbon can create pressure with Burst Bombs, overhead Burst Cancelling and can hop on the ground where it excels. We've all come here to discuss the Carbon, so we know it's options. Just go ham and have fun with it!

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
The Carbon Roller is one of my mains and there are different sets you could use with it. My personal style is to favor the burst bombs. I have one bomb range up main, 2 dmg mains, and 6 dmg subs with the rest being some random subs. That way you'll have a good amount of range and can splat more easily with burst too because with this amount of dmg up you could splat with one direct hit (75) and one indirect hit (25). One sub of defense stops this sadly but you have enough dmg up to counter other defense builds more easily if your heavily reliant on burst cancel like me because if you don't have enough dmg up then burst cancel won't work on those heavy defense builds. Other builds for Carbon can go for stealth or speed. But I'm starting to drift away from it and more into the Neo Splash o Matic since I find it more reliable at times and is less dependent on dmg up since it is a shooter. I replace the one dmg up and it's dmg subs with some cold-blooded and swim-speed subs.

Tri

Inkling
NNID
chambergojd
So thanks to this app I got called Splat Dictionary (I'm not being paid, I swear) I've been able to experiment with gear sets on the fly, and I've made adjustments to my original set. I switched the Red Check with the Camo Zip Hoodie to gain more Quick Respawn while still keeping the Ink Saver Sub. I've exchanged the shoes with the Hunter Hi-Tops. Had there been a Krak-On shoe with Ink Saver Main I would be all over it, but Ink Recovery works just as well. It even goes along with the Hoodie, being green and all. I think it's a pretty solid set for any mode, but if you'd rather have another ability, the Clownfish Basics, Plum Casuals, and Blue Slip-Ons all work well with the Carbon.

As for the Squid Nordic, I have but one thing to say...

Last edited:

CM86

Pro Squid
I can play the carbon roller well, but do not understand it enough to make a build for it. This is mainly due to the fact that other then the carbon roller, I do not play with any other rollers. I do not have anything against them. I just like other weapons more. However, if I had to pick a roller, it would be the carbon roller no hesitation. From experience with it, I would think swim speed up and ink recovery up would work well on it. If you think about it, when swimming, you are taking advantage of both of those abilities at once. I just find the carbon roller with even more agility to be effective. Here is a possible build I may try. I would appreciate opinions.

:head_first: :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:clothes_tes012: :ability_inkrecovery: :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: (don't have this in pure but looking for it)

:shoes_slo004: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I use to play quite a few weapons but I got to the point of where I pretty much only play the Carbon Roller now. Which is funny because I had absolutely no interest in rollers for the test fires a year ago and would have called you crazy for thinking I would ever main one. Carbon Roller is just the perfect hybrid weapon... It's super fast unlike the other rollers, It has a quick TTK up close + very little delay after swinging, and it lacks the range issue that most close range weapons have due to burst bombs. The versatility quickly won me over and it has been my favorite weapon since it was released. These are the sets I have made for the Carbon Roller over time.

Basically you want to be in the opponents face the entire match and give them Carbon Roller PTSD. This set focuses on splats and forcing trades to keep your team in a good position. Comeback is an efficient form of movement speed since it also gives you a lot of bonus perks like ink saver main and Ink saver sub for 20 seconds after respawning. Recon gives you total map awareness by allowing you to see all of the enemy positions and weapons from spawn which you can then relay to your team. Super jumping with this set is also very useful since it's no longer a guessing game if a jump is safe or not (just keep in mind of where chargers can aim and if you are in range of that).
  • :clothes_tel010::ability_haunt::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: Occasionally use this instead of recon depending on map size or if I feel that marking the opponent is more useful overall.

Pretty much the same set as above but it drops recon + comeback for ninja squid + swim speed to cancel out the penalty. This set is less supportive and more about sneaky sneaks (deco likes this set).

The "I main burst bombs" set (one of my favorites). With this set you can throw up to 3 burst bombs with a full tank of ink and secure long range splats with ease. The attack ups guarantee a splat off a single direct + 1 nearby hit unless the opponent is wearing at least 1 defense main or 3 subs (3rd bomb splats regardless) and helps the carbon + burst cancel combo up close. You can direct hit up to 6 yards away allowing you to out range and pressure a lot of weapons you would otherwise have issues against and gives you a strong option to deal with chargers. Hydra Splatling and most chargers will beat you in range but everything else you have the range advantage. Fun stuffs!

This set is more for fun. The main focus is double seekers for movement or to paint multiple paths for your team to approach with. It's currently impossible to use 2 seekers back to back since you can't get them to cost 50% or less but this set can do it with a small delay (around a second or so).

Sometimes you just gotta go fast man...

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I am in love with this weapon.

I honestly use this weapon as an on ground charger in the sense that I pick off enemies to allow my team to do what they've been designated to without the fear of being splatted. My friends have often said that they don't notice anyone on the opposite team for extended periods of time and once they do we've usually gotten a very secure foothold on an area. As a Carbon Roller there's absolutely no fear in my mind, if I get splatted so be it. I go in, splat some fools, then get taken out and respawn to get back to work. Sometimes luck isn't on my side but I work with what I have.
That's a great way of thinking about it, that's what I try to do too. I am completely unhinged and psychotic, I go for risky insane kills and I practice them enough that nowadays I'm quite reliable as an assassin.

I like to create terror for the other team. Have them wondering... "Where is that carbon!?"

To help with this playstyle I go with the Squid Nordic, Red Check Shirt, and Blueberry Casuals. Comeback gives the playstyle an emphasis on picking fights. Then the Quick Respawn on top of that lets me get back into the fray faster. Comeback not only increases damage and both forms of movement, but with the recent patch Special Charge is also increased a noticeable amount. The clothing gives Special Saver so all the meter I've built doesn't go to waste if my luck isn't the best. The Ink Saver Main gives me some peace of mind that I won't run out of ink at an inopportune moment. Then the Blueberry Casuals give me faster movement while also mitigating the ink used by Burst Bombs.

If my connection was better I'd probably be a solid A-A+ rank, but I'm stuck at B for the moment. I do like the idea of this thread and would like to see it get active again.
I think comeback is imperative to the build.

I used to run Swim speed, ink resistance, bomb range and damage up and I was a solid S. Now I play Comeback, swim speed, ink resistance and sub saver and I made it to S+. I'm no expert but I'm getting there.

I think these four abilities are best for Carbons because they allow you to be reckless, fast, and kind of unstoppable.

I didn't use to think Carbons could carry a team, now I think we can. It's not always a safe choice but in my opinion it is just hands down the most fun.

I have a lot of tips but I'm thinking of doing a guide...

Xanjos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xanjos
The carbon roller has become my go to weapon, I've mostly used it in combination with ninja squid.
For me that has worked pretty wel sneaking around, but it probably won't be as good outside of random matches.
Thoug i now am experimanting to replace it.
Damage up is alway a good one for me, to be able to splat someone with 2 burst bombs that don't have to aline perfectly.

MiraMonochrome

Inkling
NNID
MiraMonochrome
Before the burst bomb ink usage nerf, I have to say Carbon Roller was a successful killer from close range to far range. Three burst bombs in a row can easily kill a sniper or anyone out of your flick range.

After the patch, I was super worried Carbon Roller (the weapon I spent so much time on) would be useless. Fear not! It's still a great weapon as I am still using it as my S rank main. There are a few strategies I use to amplify its powers:

-The circuit method: Great for defending the middle areas of maps your team already painted. Find a good flanking route, get a path that will link you back to the main area, run the route (preferably a figure 8 ish one). Effective for flank-killing enemies swimming to the center or enemies that are facing off with one of your teammates. This can also be done soley in the center area if there's a tower or other obstacles to swim around.

-The ambusher: Make sure you have an escape route, hide in a little corner or right under a ledge enemies will jump from, then kill them from behind. If you try to kill them from the front, you might die or end up with a trade. This may seem like a dirty tactic, but it's valid. It's also a bit risky since you won't be helping the team while waiting there for an enemy.

-The burst bomb annoyer: If your team is caught in a choke area, you probably won't be able to help too much without inkzooka. So I like to stand on higher ground behind my teammates and burst bomb the ground or enemies to assist kill.

It's also nice to burst bomb walls to create paths for teammates and additional exit routes for you to retreat in. Another nice trick to do is to swim up walls at a corner or blind spot, then turn around and drop from above to splat an enemy.

Bad matchups (in my opinion): Blasters, splatlings, other proficient carbons (usually ends up in a trade), .52 gals, pro splattershots with good aim.
-------------------------

The thing I have the most difficulty on are facing off a team with mainly mid/long range weapons (ie: range blaster, splatling!!!, etc). Since I can't kill via burst bomb without having awesome aim, I always perform terribly against these weapons. They know to keep their distance and kill me from afar. If they aren't in a tight group and are covering the passage ways, flanking is nearly impossible. How do other carbon rollers deal with these mid/long range players?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom