This honestly looks like the most effective way to use the Roller

Hi_C

Full Squid
I saw this video on the Splatoon subreddit, and I found it really interesting. The person using the Splat Roller was using it in a super unique way. Basically instead of rushing areas, they focused on controlling the center, making good use of their secondary by baiting out opponents and killing them with the move that creates a wave of ink (not sure on official name.) Is the Splat Roller more useful used as a defensive tool rather than an offensive tool?

Video:

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I wonder if it would be worth having two rollers in a team so one of them could defend the center using this method while the other uses the traditional roller method to achieve quick map coverage. I still think it's essential to have at least one teammate performing the usual roller duty, but having both could be very efficient.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
I wouldn't call it the most effective way, but it definitely is one of the safest ways to use it (in Turf War). Actually, I would say it is the most effective way of using it on Blackbelly Skatepark, at least. It isn't particularly easy for rollers to move around, so controlling the center area while the rest of the team goes for a push is good. This sort of strategy could possibly be applied to Arowana Mall. As for other maps, I would say Rollers should use their fast way of covering ink while being stealthy.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
yeah, usually you're best off using the roller to surprise them when you find the opportunity. flanking is often easier to do on people pushing offense if their efforts don't involve the flanks. People on defense are likely to be keeping more of an eye on the things around them. Using a secondary to bait or pressure something is something most weapons with timed/explosive subweapons can do anyway. It's a good tactic, but not roller specific. In fact something awesome you'll notice in this is that nearly every one if not every one of this guys approaches with the roller was when the guy he was going after was not paying attention to him. If they were focused on him, he would always use the splash or sub weapon to pressure them until they either moved away or got distracted from him. In the latter he'd immediately lunge for the kill. That seems to be the best strategy for the roller in general fighting, and he pulled it off very well.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
Super unique way.

In a game not released.

It's unique within the sample size of people who have played the game. So far it's the first time I've seen anyone use it that particular way so I'd say it qualifies as "unique."

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
The guy in these Japanese videos is has a very aggressive playstyle and is great at killing people. So all while this isn't the most efficient and/or effective way to use the roller, it does show off the Roller's surprisingly effective offensive capabilities.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
It's unique within the sample size of people who have played the game. So far it's the first time I've seen anyone use it that particular way so I'd say it qualifies as "unique."
The sample size being the pubbers who hold down the button the entire match and suicide into people?

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
let's not get too carried away here lol

shooting at people who aren't looking at you is basically fps games 101, and that's what this guy was doing. the tactic is what's effective here, not the weapon

(and incidentally I'm pretty sure everyone I was speaking to after the demo agreed that this is how you would be using a roller in a real game and we all then went on to conclude that it probably won't be very good, doesn't change how awful they are compared to other weapons)

dynamo roller and inkbrush can likely do this way better (the former oneshots from further away and apparently blocks damage while doing so, and the latter isn't screwed after a miss because of the fast ink throwing).

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
This video also showed really good use of the rollers sub weapon. The sticky bombs could be used really effectively to snuff out chargers or force an enemy out of cover into a shooter or charger team mates line of fire. I think rollers are good when they are playing defensively on close quarters maps and focusing on inking turf that the rest of your team has made safe, and holding corridors or areas with limited space for shooters.

The problem with the roller is that it is not very versatile like the shooter is. It has limited mobility (can't shoot ink in front of itself, like a splattershot) and limited kill power so it's not very useful for an offensive push. It's best use is in defence, while a shooter or even a charger type could play both offensively and defensively.
It also looks to be more useful on this map than others

Pokefangames

Inkling
NNID
Darkshell
Woah! This looks like great way to use the roller! I never thought of using it this way.....
I can't wait for the inkbrush to come out...... Less spreading radius but it has a better melee attack....

MasterE

Inkling
Wow people can use the roller strategically after all. during the demos all i saw was rollers running around with no regard for anything :).

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
That's very amazing. I really like to see all the new ways people use these weapons. :)

Vinny

Inkling
Wow people can use the roller strategically after all. during the demos all i saw was rollers running around with no regard for anything :).
Well with only 3 hours to play the game of course people wouldn't be strategic with rollers from the get-go.

Howl7

Pro Squid
I don't now if this is the best way to use the roller (it's too early), however He has shown a great way to use the sub weapon.

StormPhrax

Full Squid
NNID
joelsmart01
It can be used both defensively and offensively, making it a great weapon and having more than one on a team means that one can be used offensively and the other defensively making for a good balance. I think that when the game is released these sorts of tactics will arise more for each weapon type.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
let's not get too carried away here lol

shooting at people who aren't looking at you is basically fps games 101, and that's what this guy was doing. the tactic is what's effective here, not the weapon

(and incidentally I'm pretty sure everyone I was speaking to after the demo agreed that this is how you would be using a roller in a real game and we all then went on to conclude that it probably won't be very good, doesn't change how awful they are compared to other weapons)

dynamo roller and inkbrush can likely do this way better (the former oneshots from further away and apparently blocks damage while doing so, and the latter isn't screwed after a miss because of the fast ink throwing).
imo the dynamo roller is absolutely worse than the default one because of its long wind-up time. although it has more range and coverage (and thus more damage) it basically forces you to commit to a fight and doesn't make any impact on how much territory you cover in ink. for the paint brush, we'll have to see, but i don't think it's going to be an improvement over the roller because it's hard to cover area in ink with it by rolling it along the ground (you'll have to constantly flick it to get much done)

but i have to agree that the roller is sort of a superficial choice that's going to be an overall hindrance to more skilled or knowledgeable players. it's a good tool for ink coverage, sure, but it doesn't set the standard at all and demands that you be a passive and defensive player, as shown in the video above. players are going to get more mileage out of their other choices.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
was stoked on the dynamo roller till i saw it in action. the Krak-On and the plain old Roller's will be all i'll pick up (aside from whatever I get unlocked on my amiibo.)

joetext

Inkster Jr.
NNID
duncankeller
Pretty cool! May just be an effective tactic because nobody has spent quality time with the game yet. I noticed that a lot of people were just expecting you to try and roll over them conventionally, so using the splash caught a good number of players off-guard. Most people will probably know to watch out for this once the full game comes out, but still fun to see people using the weapon like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom