• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

This may be an Unpopular Opinion but I like the OP Specials

Umbreonfan

Senior Squid
Specials like sting ray, ink strike etc. I don't care if they weren't balanced for competitive. They were really fun to use. I felt like a God splatting someone from across the map using sting ray. Yeah I agree it shouldn't be able to use it in spawn but I still liked it.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I agree, though I can safely say that liking Sting Ray is an unpopular opinion.

I personally don’t know why it’s an unpopular opinion, but it is. The special was pretty dang hard to use in S2, if they’d lowered the skill ceiling a little by removing its free thermal ink and any-damage location, it would probably have been far less hated.

Personally, I blame Custom Jet squelcher for the special‘s poor reputation.

But anyways, yes, specials that give you a massive super gun are usually quite fun to use.
I’d imagine you’ve been a fan of S3’s various metas.

Umbreonfan

Senior Squid
I agree, though I can safely say that liking Sting Ray is an unpopular opinion.

I personally don’t know why it’s an unpopular opinion, but it is. The special was pretty dang hard to use in S2, if they’d lowered the skill ceiling a little by removing its free thermal ink and any-damage location, it would probably have been far less hated.

Personally, I blame Custom Jet squelcher for the special‘s poor reputation.

But anyways, yes, specials that give you a massive super gun are usually quite fun to use.
I’d imagine you’ve been a fan of S3’s various metas.
Missiles sucks because is skilless. At least you have to aim with sting ray.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
as much as trizooka should probably get nerfed, it is definitely fun to use and get quick splats with it. i still love inkjet and had a ton of fun with it back during its peak

NeoXVIII

Inkling
I actually prefer specials to have some depth to them, so there's some variance to how their kits/weapons are played with and against, like how Splashdown can be activated during a super jump and how it (used to) get a slightly bigger radius if you used it from higher up, or how Kraken used to interact with Swim Speed Up (and now had the potential to be affected with Intensify Action but isn't), or how Zipcaster (aside from being, well, Zipcaster) interacts with Ink Saver (Main) and Drop Roller to let you fire more shots and get a boost after landing. Ink Vac is neat on paper in this way (can swallow specials like missiles/booyah completely as well as bombs to give you a nuke) but just doesn't really work in execution even on the hall maps.

Specials like Crab/Inkjet/Trizooka/Bubbler Blower that give you another weapon to use I think are really cool as well, and help close the gap between weapons in range and firepower periodically during the match.

Spammable specials like Super Chump/Missiles have their place as well, like when I'm feeling lazy or just want to press a button and have things go. It's better to not have them be super frequently globally impactful as S2 Missiles were though.

Stingray began to get hated after it got the shockwave buff iirc? It also had crazy objective control in Rainmaker and especially in Tower Control where it was able to keep the tower clear of enemies for an extended period of time.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Stingray began to get hated after it got the shockwave buff iirc? It also had crazy objective control in Rainmaker and especially in Tower Control where it was able to keep the tower clear of enemies for an extended period of time.
The shockwaves were a big problem. They didn’t just make hitting enemies easier, the area of effect made it so crossing to the other side of the beam to try and avoid it was basically impossible, and as mentioned it could control Tower basically for free. Wail 5.1 fixed a lot of Sting Ray’s problems with its auto aiming making the shockwaves unnecessary, then they were able to give its slow-moving powerhouse traits to Crab.

Sting Ray just makes more sense as a special exclusive to non-player enemies.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Specials being overpowered wouldn't be as much of a problem if more of them were, but having 19 has to be a balancing nightmare so here we are. Less is more when it comes to game balance. I enjoyed sting ray and missiles a lot back in S2 but yeah.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I still really love Zooka even if I think having almost no startup isn't good for the game. It's such a quick special that doesn't force you to stay in place and I'm glad you can swim immediately after popping it.
If they ever nerf it with more startup, I'd hope that would only apply to actually shooting with Zooka and not swimming with it.

a hot mess

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
They/Them
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
it would be nice if we got a giant anchor you can detach from a chain to splat opponents with that goes in a line and pulls them in or panicking alla mambo when its falling but its falling towards the opponent with a razor blade

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom