Thoughts on Aerospray's Competitive Use

Judd

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GreatLordChrom13
So, as soon as I got the aerospray yesterday, I've been using it, and darn is it good. Literally every match I play I get over 1000 with it, and it's crazy. So what do you guys think about it in competitive play? Will this thing we the weapon of choice for ranked mode? What are your thoughts?

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
I've tested the aerospray and it's been very tempting to switch to it from my usual Krak-On. I think it'll see a good amount of use with the combination of a very high fire rate and good range.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
I don't have every weapon unlocked, but
Aerospray seems arguably best for covering ground. Possibly the Splattershot Jr is better. But honestly both of them feel really lackluster for combat. Not that they're bad, but anything with a high fire rate feels like playing the game with training wheels on, and based on the dialogue when you unlock the Splattershot Pro, I think that was the intention. They're easy to get used to but there isn't really any going up from there.
Any of them that particularly stand out for combat (Blaster, .5 and .9 gallon) isn't really that much better for combat, and the little advantage they do have does not make up for how useless they are for covering the ground
I feel like the most well rounded are the Splattershot and Splattershot Pro. Covers the ground pretty nicely and the range stands out well for combat.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Decent for covering turf obviously ; Way too unaccurate to have a chance in frontal combat

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Combat shmombat. This is a TURF WAR!
Combat matters quite a bit.
Just in killing them, the enemy has to take the time to respawn, they are sent back to the start of the map, their special gauge is reset.
And just during the battle, they'll be spreading a lot of ink that won't matter if you manage to kill them (Tying up their time). A firefight is like a double or nothing version of covering the ground.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Combat matters quite a bit.
Just in killing them, the enemy has to take the time to respawn, they are sent back to the start of the map, their special gauge is reset.
And just during the battle, they'll be spreading a lot of ink that won't matter if you manage to kill them (Tying up their time). A firefight is like a double or nothing version of covering the ground.
This. the opportunity cost they lose when they die can be magnificent. Only quip is special's resetting: technically it's just halved.

I tried the areospray, and it just felt a tad unwieldy for hitting things as much as I wanted to even up close. the Inkchu is great though and guarantees a trade upon being ambushed if you're facing the right way when they're up next to you, as well as doing some other things, like the rollouts you can do with it on some maps.

With the aerospray you HAVE to get up close and ambush people to kill them before they kill you. Other shooters do that pretty much just as well and they also have a much stronger pressure game than the aerospray.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
reposting my thoughts on the aerospray (rg, in this case, but the first paragraph or so still applies) from another thread

the aerospray rg with the ink mine and inkstrike is a very all purpose loadout without much drawbacks to it. the aerospray is similar to the splattershot jr, but with a faster fire rate and less damage, however they're practically the same weapon since the time to kill is about the same because of the rate of fire. the biggest differences the aerospray and jr. will have is which one has the least wide spray, but both seem to be pretty wide; however, that's to their advantage. they're great tools for ink coverage since they cover so much ground in so little time. the only drawback is that they don't have much range to them, but not every map is going to have very open sights to begin with, and it's not hard to position yourself for a frag. the ink mine is a good sub because it's so noncommittal; just plop it down where the other teams players like to run through, squid out so you'll get the ink back, and you might get a free frag. if someone finds it with an ability like bomb sniffer or can just tell that it's there and sets it off, that's fine, you really haven't lost anything. the only downside to it is that if you're not getting any free frags with it, you could hypothetically be using mg set with the seeker for better results, but if you do you'll lose the inkstrike, which is a great special. its basically free area denial since it creates a wide "no enemy team here" zone thats an instakill when theyre hit, coats the radius with your ink, and you don't have to be anywhere near where you want it to land.
after getting it, alot of my thoughts turned out to be the case. i don't actually use the sub as much as i thought i would since its harder than i thought it would be to kill with an ink mine because everyone habitually covers your ink with their own, but its still more or less a free kill. probably the best shooter-type weapon at this point in the meta, since its so noncommittal and covers the map in ink like a champ.

ryanpadcasey

Inkling
NNID
bigbro84
Once I got my Aerospray RG I got over 1500 in my first match. It's pretty good and will probably see competitive use

redfeatherraven

Inkling
Personal weapon of choice.

Cover territory until the Inkzooka is ready, use it to grab a few kills, start grabbing territory when it runs out. Rinse and repeat. For some reason I never seem to use the Inkchu, but it's gotten some kills too.

It's a little lacking in direct combat, yes, but I get by. Guerilla warfare has proven key. I've noticed that if you can get the drop on someone, you can quickly take the area around them and limit their movement, which does well to setup the kill. Worst case, it works great as cover fire for more combat-oriented shooters.

Works great for going deep into their base before they know what hit them, too.

Senliten

Inkling
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
For some reason I never seem to use the Inkchu, but it's gotten some kills too.
For me, I simply abuse this lil thing. Especially at the start of the warehouse map. If you let it off at the right angle, you can cover enough ground to be on the opposite side of the map and lay down some serious inkage before the other team can really get there. Not only is it nice for locking on for kills, but is a very nifty tool to get from one location to another, but takes some time to get the hang of that however.

warriorman222

Inkling
I loooove the Aerospray. It's just fun to use, and unlike the Roller(also fun to use), I enjoy it more and get well over 1000 each time.

thefro

Full Squid
The seeker lets you flank enemies and cut them off so that makes up for the low stopping power since you can distract them and move in from the side.

Basically:
- They choose to fight the seeker, you hit them from the side/behind and kill them
- They choose to fight you, you hit them a bit, seeker finishes them off from the side/behind before they kill you.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Both Aerospray are extremely good at turf wars. I started using the Aerospray MG at lv.7 when I unlocked it and instantly knew what gun I was going to stick with. I love how powerful it is up close and it fit my style perfectly since I like to swim around and catch people by surprise. It does have the issue of being out-ranged though. The seeker is really good for quick movement and can get you out of some bad situations when stuck in enemy ink. I was averaging around 1k before win bonus on a good round with this gun. Once I unlocked the Aerospray RG and played around with the new sub and special it was clearly a better version of the MG in every way for turf wars. Ink Mine is really handy at denying passage ways or protecting your back from flanks and Inkstrike is free points every time your special is ready. I average around 1100-1300 before win bonus with this weapon on a good game (best so far is 1836).

A lot of people don't know how to deal with rapid movement while fighting yet so form switching between shots can get you a lot of mileage with this weapon (or really any weapon). I love shooting someone head on then quickly switching to swim behind them or to the side. If anyone has ever played Gears of War its almost like wall bouncing. Idk if I would consider this a tech or not but it is super helpful to get the advantage on guns with a longer range. Here is a quick example of it from my friends stream. He originally though I was lagging because I was bouncing across the screen but I was actually switching to squid between my shots to move around and avoid damage. I was in a bad position after taking out the roller rushing me so I went into squid to reset my positon. Quality is low since this is a recording of his stream but I was the samurai inkling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom