Thoughts on Character Customisation?

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
Just on a personal note, I'm not a huge fan of any of the pants options for males...to me, it just feels like 3 pairs of shorts.
We've got:
1) Bike Shorts
2) Short shorts, with what I can only assume is a skintight tracksuit(?) underneath,
3) Jeans...rolled up to be shorts.

That said, I don't look at the pants during battle, so I'm glad we got some neat, varied hairstyles to make up for it.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
The first pair of shorts I believe are the same pair of shorts that the inkling wore in the first game. The other two (the shorts /s skintight part and rolled up shorts) are new.

I don't think too much of them, but I kind of like how the Shorts with the skintight bit is probably the closest thing I'll get to actual "pants" and works well with a lot of the jacket and sweater type clothing available I like to use.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I still want my kilts! If the girls can have shorts, skirt (with shorts), and pants then it's reasonable the boys is too.

Meanwhile, not all that fond the hair options for boys compared to the girls. Overall, I'd like better skin tone ranges.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This is such a minor thing, but I don't like the skirt for females, it doesn't work well with many options in my mind. Also, yes to kilts! I'd like if this game went the Animal Crossing route and abolished gender restrictions altogether.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I thought we were gonna get a huge range of ability clothing for pants when it was announced XD

Instead we just got 3 that don't do anything except for looks and they don't look that great tbh

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I love it. As long as a cosmetic option generally looks good, I'm all for including it. None of the new options are an eyesore to me. However, I would like to be able to change eye color and skin color more easily. I'm not sure why it has to be in a separate menu.

YarnDrawcia

Full Squid
From what I've seen, I quite like the female Inkling's customization choices. I'm kind of meh on the male choices, but overall I like the prospect of more options than the previous game. Though I have to wonder how Inklings can alter their hairstyles. But then that will carry on to the question of how they can change genders and other biological features.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
If you want pants variety, they could of went for cargos, too. Since they can have cameo, and it changes along with the ink color. Or it could be pants with belt buckles, and zippers.

Of course, maybe one day they can input different brow styles, and eye shapes to differentiate the inklings even more. Same with ears, nose, whatever.

SlyBlue

Inkling
I feel like the character customization was a little lazy but at the same time I feel like we can't complain about it because at least they gave us something?? But like, how hard would it have been to give us some pretty basic extra's just for fun? Like different pupil/eyebrow/beauty mark/mouth options. I mean those are all things that wouldn't cause any clipping issues or anything so?? It just feels like they heard us but did the bare minimum to try to appease us idk just my opinion I guess.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
I think they could give us a LOT more options for leg wear...or made it another gear slot altogether...but it is better than everyone wearing the same pair I guess. I also think there could have been at least double the amount of hair options. To me, the females either use the classic look, or the one long side tentacle...the other 2 are terrible in my opinion, but I would have loved to have seen a full head of classic tentacles...so like 8 of them going all the way down to her ankles or something. Maybe they were worried it would make hitboxes feel wonky or something.

SlyBlue

Inkling
I also want to say that while I really wish there where more hair options, I can understand why there isn't. I do appreciate the fact that they had to put a lot of effort into making sure all of the different headgear items didn't clip too bad with all the new hairstyles. It's a bummer that we got so few (and I wish they were unisex but that's a totally other point) but I can see why I guess. Fingers crossed we will get more options in future updates though! You never know! (:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
but I would have loved to have seen a full head of classic tentacles...so like 8 of them going all the way down to her ankles or something.
The thing about all of the hairstyles is that they're all done with a limb limit in mind. Every single hairstyle ensures that the Inklings have no more or less than ten limbs, arms and legs included. So at most, having all full-length tentacles would be 6 dangling down. Which I do think would look cool, and I have seen art of it to justify my thought on that, but as far as in-game goes, that would more than likely be a huge struggle to keep control over.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yeah it feels a bit lackluster. I first imagine they'd make it it's own slot, but that turned out not to be the case. Maybe they'll expand on it in a future update?

I'm a purist, so i went with the biker shorts from the first game. I feel like it should be part of inkling tradition to keep wearing those things no matter what

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
The thing about all of the hairstyles is that they're all done with a limb limit in mind. Every single hairstyle ensures that the Inklings have no more or less than ten limbs, arms and legs included. So at most, having all full-length tentacles would be 6 dangling down. Which I do think would look cool, and I have seen art of it to justify my thought on that, but as far as in-game goes, that would more than likely be a huge struggle to keep control over.
Yeah, someone mentioned clipping too, so they probably did their best to make sure hair styles didn't interfere with gear to the best of their ability. The more styles you have to keep up with, the less likely you will succeed in preventing ugly clipping. I can understand that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom