Thoughts on Fizzbangs?

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Honestly, it really helps make the matches more unique from regular Turf War which I never really liked. It's still the same objective but having an option to poke when your weapon doesn't have a bomb is nice, and it also paints a bit without wasting any ink. They can feel pretty inconsistent if you're trying to use them as some extra damage in a fight but that's probably a good thing with how many you can have. Overall, I think it's a nice addition but there should be more to Splatfests than Turf War and Tri-color, which never gets a unique map except for that Zelda Splatfest.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's painful trying to play backline when every weapon in the game now has range to use against me. Even if it's not a particularly powerful tool, it's something.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i totally forgot they were going to be a thing this splatfest so i didn't even play yet

oh and the update is apparently taking 3 hours so it will be a while until i get to try them...

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
They feel kind of underwhelming, but they're fun. and for a splatfest that's really all that matters

DChachouke

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
They're fun ! More fun than regular splatfests at least. Not to mention it encourages a more aggressive kind of playstyle instead of a passive "paint as much as you can" one. Weapons without bombs now kinda have one, and it overall makes the game more chaotic !

Linneus

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Linneus
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-1092-0917
I pretty much only want to wrap my head around their usefulness rather than how fun they are, probably because they're SO straightforward and don't contribute any kind of big playstyle shift. Except for me being slightly disappointed when I get assists instead of Enemy Splats!

And in the usefulness department... It's nice having a form of displacement, but they're pretty much a non-factor until the end of the match, since everyone having a single one is nothing.

As for the fun factor, I honestly forget to use them sometimes!

Linneus

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Linneus
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-1092-0917
But I want to add a side note here-- I was thinking that this would help spawn camping a lot because now you have this constant rolling supply of bonus bombs to throw at opponents in your base on top of the usual advantage, but... they just take all your bombs if you don't constantly throw them, and it feels like a WAY bigger tool for the attackers (who get to stockpile them and load your base with hitboxes) than for the defenders (who only get a couple at a time, need a ton of coordination to use them all together, and are getting their spawn armor eaten up by the opponents' Fizzbangs anyway).

which is uhhhh... you know... not great

briank913

Pro Squid
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
I watched Elie D stream Fest yesterday and it seems like people forget to use them until the end...granted people may not be used to it yet but it seems forgettable...a problem I can see is people pressing the A button in Turf immediately after Fest ends too since they may be used to throwing Fizzbangs.

Besides that, it's still Turf War with the last 20-30 second phenomenon. This won't change anything in the long run. Mirror matches still don't give clout it seems, and people are still locked to Turf War only.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
they're pretty hard to use effectively, i get the feeling the devs were very worried about making them even remotely "too good" against casual players lol. it's very fun though, and i don't see enough people talking about how it's pretty clever that you get more at each minute interval; it feels like a natural way to tie the new stuff into turf war.

i don't think it's a "forgettable" concept either, the reason people don't use them much until the end is because they're a limited resource. rpg potion dilemma kinda thing, yknow. once there's a minute left you're generally getting more fizzbangs back than you're using so it feels more reasonable to go all out with using them, but it makes sense to be hesitant and wait for a good opportunity in the earlier stages of a game

it definitely doesn't alleviate my frustrations with turf war in general but it does give me a reason to actually care about playing, because it is very fun thematically, and does feel like it gives you more to do in the first couple minutes of a game

Linneus

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Linneus
Switch Friend Code
SW-4891-1092-0917
Yeah, when the match starts and you have a SINGLE Fizzbang, my thought is "ok, I better throw this in a spot that'll help me combo with my weapon", and that is so hard to find. And you don't get that back unless you splat someone, so it feels like I spend a long time waiting for a good opportunity.

So even when I'm thinking about them, I still usually wait until the end because then I can throw more at once!

Hokuto

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they/he/ze
Switch Friend Code
SW-5561-7608-9695
I keep forgetting I have Fizzbangs, so they tend to follow me across the map until I see them trailing behind me or left behind after someone splats me. Because I've been playing low damage weapons with short range this time around, the Fizzbangs haven't been giving me much to combo off of.

nineball

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
after playing with them for a while, i've found them really useful. you can use them to zone enemies just like any other bomb but with the added benefit of them being free, and honestly i cannot complain about free bombs. you can also use them to paint the enemy spawn in tandem with other bombs/painting specials, a tactic that is especially useful in the current tricolor stage since the sprinkler doesn't reach the back of the attacker's spawn.

in short, free bombs cant complain.

ToastedMustard

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7808-3109-1499
I forget they exist half the time, that being said they're fun to use when you have a bajillion of them

crows

Inkster Jr.
Premium
Pronouns
they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6103-0887-9214
i feel like they just reward spawncamping and make latter parts of the match more important and volatile than the earlier parts. in other words, they made the turf war of turf war.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I still don't think it's too much of an issue for spawn camping since the bombs themselves don't seem to do a lot of damage and take a good while to explode while sticking to one area. I haven't gotten to play a lot of Splatfest but if a team is being spawn camped, Fizzbangs probably aren't a major factor in that happening. It might make it worse though, but again I think that's more of an issue with Turf War itself and how the maps are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom