• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Thoughts on the .96 gal?

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
I very rarely see people use this weapon and when they do they usually use the deco version and not the vanilla one.

I find that sprinkler and ink armor make for an amazing set and combined with all the buffs the .96 gal got over the course of Splatoon 2 it's like a point and click adventure game with the 2HKO.

You can use ink armor to push forward or can activate it as a failsafe if you accidentally overextend.

This is even better because you can use the sprinkler to firmly anchor your newly gained turf after pushing with Ink Armor.

So what do you guys think? Is it underrated? If not what problems do you think it has that keep it from seeing more usage?

Starry Day

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4634-9117-7313
All of the points you mentioned are fantastic benefits of the set, but I think the major factor holding it back is its unreliable accuracy. When faced up against weapons like Splatlings or Splattershot Pros, possessing similar range, the .96 Gal will only win half of the time because its counterparts have much greater accuracy, despite the .96 Gal's raw power and speed of splatting. Other than that, I agree that the weapon should see more use.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
All of the points you mentioned are fantastic benefits of the set, but I think the major factor holding it back is its unreliable accuracy. When faced up against weapons like Splatlings or Splattershot Pros, possessing similar range, the .96 Gal will only win half of the time because its counterparts have much greater accuracy, despite the .96 Gal's raw power and speed of splatting. Other than that, I agree that the weapon should see more use.
Isn't 50% about the rate I should expect to win against a weapon of similar power and range? At least assuming similar skill and positioning? Plus one more thing I forgot to mention is that ink armor can give the .96 gal an almost instant refill of it's tank which is very nifty for such an ink hungry weapon.

theslowsoup

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7977-3209-6775
v96. doesn't see much us because it's out classed by Gold Dynamo. Both the Dynamo and 96. as main weapons are fantastic weapons that can delete you from the map with good aim and are great with combos. But Gold Dynamo is a better choice because it's easier, has a faster amour and it has a bomb.

As for 96. Deco - I do think it's very underrated as it fills a nice niche.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
v96. doesn't see much us because it's out classed by Gold Dynamo. Both the Dynamo and 96. as main weapons are fantastic weapons that can delete you from the map with good aim and are great with combos. But Gold Dynamo is a better choice because it's easier, has a faster amour and it has a bomb.

As for 96. Deco - I do think it's very underrated as it fills a nice niche.
Could you be a bit more specific as to how the gold dynamo outclasses the .96 gal? They aren't even from the same weapon class so I fail to see how they could be similar enough to eclipse one another.

Also how does the gold dynamo have faster armor? And I would argue that the sprinkler is significantly better sub than a bomb since bombs usually cost at least half a tank of ink and only offer extremely temporary and limited area denial whereas a sprinkler can do it almost indefinitely.

theslowsoup

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7977-3209-6775
Could you be a bit more specific as to how the gold dynamo outclasses the .96 gal? They aren't even from the same weapon class so I fail to see how they could be similar enough to eclipse one another.

Also how does the gold dynamo have faster armor? And I would argue that the sprinkler is significantly better sub than a bomb since bombs usually cost at least half a tank of ink and only offer extremely temporary and limited area denial whereas a sprinkler can do it almost indefinitely.
v96. and Gold Dynamo are in direct competition because they're both mid-range amor weapons that can deal a lot of damage in one hit.
Jr. and kUnder both do the same thing (spamming bombs, armor and being annoying) yet you wouldn't say you can't compare them directly becuase they're in different classes. It's fair to compare them directly because they both have the same goals - it's how they achive those goals that matters.

I'd argue that Gold Dynamo achives these goals better because: it's arguable easier, it has two ways to 1 shot, it combos with itself, splat bomb paints more than sprinkler over time, and because it has splat bomb which I'd argue is the best sub in the game (ironically enough, the one big flaw Dynamo has is being hard counterd by splat bombs).

I'm also going to have to strongly disagree with you about bombs and sprinklers. Almost any weapon that has a lethal bomb (aside from Auto and Curling) instantly makes the weapon worth considering. Lethal bombs beat every other sub because of how much utility they provide.They can: paint a lot, combo, bait, camp jumps, check sharks, force you into uncomfortable situations, force you out of key positions, splat bombs hard counter high end lag weapons and they also make 1v1's go heavily towards your favour, punish someone running straight at you, can just get a random kill sometimes, 0 frame you around corners, 0 frame you off ledges, and there's probably a lot more things that you can do that I'm forgeting to mention The sheer amout of options bombs gives you is unparalleled to any other sub.

What does sprinkler do? It paints a decent amount in a non-threatning manner (and maybe act as a bad wall??). That's it.That's all it does.

That's what I think anyway. I'd be interested to know your response to my little essay I just wrote lol.

Merch_Andise

Inkster Jr.
NNID
solarOddity
Switch Friend Code
SW-1239-4877-3880
(old thread but whatever lmao) I respect the .96 as a weapon, and I understand the benefits that it grants. I see why it has it's place in the meta, and I also see why people use it. It's a really nice 2HKO gun with a very nice support set.

that being said, I personally dislike using the .96

maybe it's just me, but the rng that the gun possesses makes it infuriating to use. while most of the time, yeah, it essentially acts like a laser, dealing high damage at a pretty nice distance. however its rng can sometimes turn supposedly "easy" kills into failed ambushes more times than one would think.

there have been multiple points where i've just straight up lost games because the gun just decided that it was gonna miss all of its shots when trying to kill someone who was about to score the teams lead.

NOT to mention that your accuracy essentially deletes itself if you jump and shoot. the obvious solution would just be to "not jump and shoot lol" but its more nuanced then that. Jumping and shooting can manifest itself into tons of different situations, and is just an important movement technique in general when it comes to splatoon. Jumping to avoid getting hit, jumping to slightly increase your range, leaping off of a ledge to shoot someone farther away, these are all things that the .96 cant do without getting a serious debuff in its accuracy. Essentially rendering it useless while airborne. Other guns simple just don't have this problem, at least not to the extent of the .96

overall, i see why its good, i get why people use it, and tbh i think its a good weapon. but i personally cannot stand its rng based merchanics. if i wanted to use a good, decent-ranged, and consistent gun, i'd just use a kpro. different niche notwithstanding

Starry Day

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4634-9117-7313
(old thread but whatever lmao) I respect the .96 as a weapon, and I understand the benefits that it grants. I see why it has it's place in the meta, and I also see why people use it. It's a really nice 2HKO gun with a very nice support set.

that being said, I personally dislike using the .96

maybe it's just me, but the rng that the gun possesses makes it infuriating to use. while most of the time, yeah, it essentially acts like a laser, dealing high damage at a pretty nice distance. however its rng can sometimes turn supposedly "easy" kills into failed ambushes more times than one would think.

there have been multiple points where i've just straight up lost games because the gun just decided that it was gonna miss all of its shots when trying to kill someone who was about to score the teams lead.

NOT to mention that your accuracy essentially deletes itself if you jump and shoot. the obvious solution would just be to "not jump and shoot lol" but its more nuanced then that. Jumping and shooting can manifest itself into tons of different situations, and is just an important movement technique in general when it comes to splatoon. Jumping to avoid getting hit, jumping to slightly increase your range, leaping off of a ledge to shoot someone farther away, these are all things that the .96 cant do without getting a serious debuff in its accuracy. Essentially rendering it useless while airborne. Other guns simple just don't have this problem, at least not to the extent of the .96

overall, i see why its good, i get why people use it, and tbh i think its a good weapon. but i personally cannot stand its rng based merchanics. if i wanted to use a good, decent-ranged, and consistent gun, i'd just use a kpro. different niche notwithstanding
I think you made some excellent points about the .96 Gal's inconsistency, which is probably why it either fares extremely well or extremely poorly, depending on how the RNG plays out. There is no real middle ground. When I use it, I have similar experiences, wherein the gun performs remarkably well or misses everyone, no matter how good my aim is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom