• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thoughts on the Ink Brush?

Do you think you'll be using the Ink Brush when it comes out?

• Total voters

Technocrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Technocrow
It's was revealed quite some time ago that the Ink brush would be free DLC coming sometime post launch. What are your thoughts on how it would work into the current meta-game? It looked like it was similar to the Ink Roller in that it has comparable melee properties yet spread Ink completely differently. What are your thoughts on how it will integrate itself into the game?

Inkbrush-e1431033255704.png

Last edited:

PikaThePikachu

Inkling
NNID
Comite
Based on the small amount of gameplay footage we've seen of the brush so far, this seems like a more hit-and-run oriented weapon. It's extremely fast, so it looks like it'll be a fantastic weapon for harassing the enemy and allowing your team to mop up the rest. It also seems like a great assassination tool, as are the other rollers. With it's speed properties, you'll get in, attack, and with how fast the melee looks, absolutely slaughter an enemy. The Paintbrush essentially trades covering turf for powerful kill and assist opportunities. Definitely a weapon I'll be using often.

Geno9999

Inkling
NNID
Geno9999
Based on the small amount of gameplay footage we've seen of the brush so far, this seems like a more hit-and-run oriented weapon. It's extremely fast, so it looks like it'll be a fantastic weapon for harassing the enemy and allowing your team to mop up the rest. It also seems like a great assassination tool, as are the other rollers. With it's speed properties, you'll get in, attack, and with how fast the melee looks, absolutely slaughter an enemy. The Paintbrush essentially trades covering turf for powerful kill and assist opportunities. Definitely a weapon I'll be using often.
Yeah, when I saw a preview of it, I noticed how small it actually covers, basically only an Inkling wide across. Haven't seen how wide the swipe is for the brush, but it's crazy fast. Might take a bit of getting used to compared to the standard roller.

Technocrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Technocrow
I agree that the surface area it covers is really small but it makes up for it in great mobility. It will probably be a great tool to assist other team mates in getting a kill because you can easily follow up with melee attacks when on the offensive. Something else I noticed is that the Ink Brush is extremely useful for ink coverage on walls. This is something that weapons such as the Splat Roller are not very good at.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I don't see the paint brush serving as a type of roller, because it encourages behavior similar to that of a charger.

This weapon may be the worst weapon for covering ground (unlike rollers), but seems to be a decent support weapon. It blazes trails through enemy ink and can be used to disorient enemies allowing splattershots the best possibility to win skirmishes.

While the weapon is definitely not a charged based weapon, i would NOT replace a traditional roller with this. The brush may take the job of a charger by harassing enemies and providing fast trails for your teammates to go through.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
i mean without being able to see it in the first month (or longer) of playing, i can't tell if it will be my go to over rollers. i've said in a few threads that speed & mobility is what i will focus on and if you get an inherent speed boost with this weapon, it will be something i use as much as the aerospray's. since you can move quickly and wave it wildly unlike the rollers, it would be better to me than the rollers regardless of the amount of ink you lay down. i like running around quickly and as close to unhindered as possible! can't wait to see what kinds of mobility gear builds i can put together! I just can't wait to put together builds for everything i am going to use! :cool:

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
With the speed the brush moves at and the trail it leaves, it will be great for rushing in teammates to a certain point of the map.

Howl7

Pro Squid
I'm not a fan of roller weapons, but this is a "semiroller", i will try it a couples of times and then I will decide whether use it again or not.
Like others i think that it will be use for kill the opponents so as to prevent the death of a comrade and for made trails in the enemy ink.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
This is how I see the Ink Brush. It is the offensive version of the Dynamo Roller. You cover less area when it is on the ground, but you move much, MUCH, faster when it is on the ground. The rate at which you can attack/throw ink out, is a lot faster as well.

Last edited:

ssbness

Inkling
NNID
itsamemario9000
I just see it mostly as the Scout from tf2, you move quickly, can cover ground quickly, jump in and get a hit or two in, but if you're caught, well, RIP.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't know useful it will be, it seems to have a very short range. It also doesn't cover that much ink so I'm not sure how useful it will be if at all.

ssbness

Inkling
NNID
itsamemario9000
I don't know useful it will be, it seems to have a very short range. It also doesn't cover that much ink so I'm not sure how useful it will be if at all.
It seems more to be for running around enemies and making them focus on you/getting in a quick kill rather than covering ground.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
If this is available for Ranked Battles I will main it. Because something the Direct said makes it sound like this will be Turf War exclusive. If that IS the case, HOPEFULLY Nintendo will allow it for Ranked Battles in an update should it get popular (and it probably will).

As for the weapon itself, it looks quite promising! Very quick, very precise, and good for covering walls to get to higher areas (and any Charger users on the team will be able to use those premade paths to get to higher places and aim for the enemy). It will probably be best as a support weapon for covering turf, able to get into narrow passageways and cover places that the Splattershots can't get to. It also looks very offensive but not as offensively risky as the Roller, which makes me guess this will be most optimal in Splat Zones (again, if Nintendo allows this in Ranked Battles, which they should).

Xeiros

Senior Squid
Unless it's changed, the Ink Brush will be paired with the Sprinkler and the Inkstrike. Both of which are far and away the best sub and special respectively for spreading ink. The brushes ink fling swings are easily the fastest melee attack in the game with solid ink spread as well. All this combined with its already fantastic movement speed while painting make it perfect for carving into enemy territory. As long as brush users properly manage their ink, they'll be extremely hard to catch from behind even when faced with enemy ink.

Swing to win!

Here's a small sample of what the set is capable of. Notice how the inkling covers the area below enough to access his special with nothing but his sprinkler and a few swings of his brush despite the glass platform he's standing on limiting his ink recovery before finally jumping down. Now imagine that scenario but without the glass. Don't let the small trail it leaves behind as it paints fool you. The Ink Brush set as a whole covers turf just as well as the best of them. It's going to be loads of fun to use.

Technocrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Technocrow
I gotta say after it's been released I've been having a great time with it. I might main it over the splatter-shots I've been using.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I've seen a few Japanese Players go ham with it. If they ever end up on top of you, you are straight dead. They are great in the early game for splat zone, since nothing can even come close to that speed and reaching the zone is top priority. One thing to get used to, you will usually use the brush its self to escape, since it is so much faster than squid form. To get the best out of this weapon, you ether need to use motion controls, a high sensitive with the analogs or be rather fast with your fingers.

Technocrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Technocrow
I've seen a few Japanese Players go ham with it. If they ever end up on top of you, you are straight dead. They are great in the early game for splat zone, since nothing can even come close to that speed and reaching the zone is top priority. One thing to get used to, you will usually use the brush its self to escape, since it is so much faster than squid form. To get the best out of this weapon, you ether need to use motion controls, a high sensitive with the analogs or be rather fast with your fingers.
I completely agree. If you've ever played competitive melee I would compare it to the Peach v. Marth Match up. You can be really effective as long as you stay in control. Staying in your ink and coming out at the perfect time is what the ink brush is about. Either keep your distance or go in for close combat, anything in between will leave you dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom