• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thoughts on weapons in ranked play

joetext

Inkster Jr.
NNID
duncankeller
Hey, all. I've been thinking about different weapons recently and I was hoping to collect some thoughts on how feasible different weapons are in ranked matches.

I did not play ranked for quite a while simply because I was having a ton of fun with turf war. I primarily used the inkbrush, and after having played countless matches with it, I can say that it has some pretty heavy advantages and disadvantages. One thing with the inkbrush is that it is way better at spreading ink than people give it credit for. And in large play areas, it's easy to skirt around people and get surprise attacks. However, as soon as I took it to ranked play, I found myself getting totally trashed. Couldn't even get above a C.

I am generally the person to blame the person using the weapon, not the weapon itself. That being said, the two things I really love about the brush are way less effective when you have a more focused play area (harder to get surprise attacks) and the need to spread ink is way more limited. I switched over to the splatershot pro and took my rank up pretty much right away.

What do you guys think? Have you had experience with some weapons being great in some game modes and terrible in others, or am I crazy? Considering I've put all my eggs in one basket with the brush, I'm going to have to try pretty hard to learn all the guns that people have been practicing with for quite a while, but that is my current goal. I don't even know which ones people consider good, other than all the blaster hype.

Curious what people think!

The Inkvenger

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PSICadet
Chargers are really more fit for Ranked,since they are more kill-oriented.

TheLuigiInkling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GamerSackboy1996
I usually use the N-Zap 89 (Or whichever number the first one was) I use it because I can't hit the broad side of a barn with the chargers without getting myself splat first, and Rollers aren't my specialty either, so I usually just stick to blasters. So I guess, for me, it's about how I fair using each weapon, and seeing what works and what doesn't. There's no real definitive weapon of choice for Ranked, since all work well equally, if you know how to utilize them.

That's just me anyway.

GeeCee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GeeCee
In my experience, and even tho I'm trapped in B+ hell, mid to large ranged weapons get the best results in splat zones. I use Tentatek mostly, but also dual squelcher and .96 gal.
Tower Control see a lot of blasters, so that's a good choice. Depending on the map, I'm getting good results with my good old roller.
At the end of the day, you should use whatever weapon fit your style better or you have the most fun using :)

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
In my opinion, the Inkbrush is a Turf War weapon. The new brush, the Octobrush seems more like a more versatile version of that class of weapon, being more effective (in my experience) in Ranked Battles. However, I'm no expert on rollers or brushes. Ever since Splatoon was released I have always wanted to be good with the blaster and charger weapons, and I have finally been able to do that in Ranked Battles. Mostly use Luna Blaster, Nozzlenose, standard or Kelp Splatterscope, the Custom Dual Squelcher, or Sploosh-o-Matic. I like to mix it up a lot, and I also have a get "sets" of gear that I wear too with certain weapons to make myself even more efficient.

Ness

Full Squid
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
Ever since I unlocked the Inkbrush, I've used it online 100% of the time, and I primarily play Ranked Battles. In some matches, the Inkbrush will feel so goooooooood and in some matches, the Inkbrush will feel so baaaaaaaaad. I've always felt that with the Inkbrush, it's about either getting to the objective first (the Tower, Splat Zone, etc.) or trying to flank the opponents that head directly to the objective first thing. Penetrating the opponents' defense is vital as a brush, since you'll be able to sneak behind them for kills (which is VITAL for an Inkbrush) and spray ink behind them, allowing your team to sandwich the opponents if your teammates can pull their load and if the enemies aren't given enough room to work in. I generally avoid confrontation since the Inkbrush will simply fail you in head to head combat. Instead, you have to emphasize the maneuverability of the Inkbrush since that's the one thing it can do extraordinarily and that no other weapon can rival. Inkstrike is amazing, it's saved my team from defeat more times than I can count. I'm not a huge fan of the Sprinkler, but I do appreciate the amount of turf it can net me in Turf War.
During Splatfest, I also tried out the Octobrush, and I'm mixed about it. Killing with the Octobrush is SO MUCH EASIER. You'll only need about 3 hits on your opponent as opposed to the Inkbrush's 4 hits to kill, regardless of the opponent's amount of defense abilities equipped. And 90% of the time, that extra power saved my squid hide and allowed me to secure a kill before my opponent did, even going so far as to let me kill 3 opponents in a row multiple times. The drawback is that your speed and overall flexibility will be reduced, although it's still better than most weapons in that regard. The Octobrush is both better and worse at spreading ink than the Inkbrush. It'll send more ink flying, but it'll use up more ink in your ink canister than the Inkbrush because of the extra firepower. A lot of the time, I had to wait for my ink to recharge, which is something I never really had to do with the Inkbrush. Performing my usual movement techniques that I perform with the Inkbrush still required me to slow down so I can recharge my ink and have it ready for a confrontation with the enemy. The Beacon is the Beacon; it's helpful and allows your team to get back in the action. The Kraken is fine as well, and it's nice to have a last resort move when I'm in peril.
The Inkbrush and Octobrush overall feel like Mario and Dr. Mario from the Smash series, just to give a comparison. Mario is like the Inkbrush, they both have a lot of flexibility and will go to town on an unsuspecting or unprepared opponent, while Dr. Mario is like the Octobrush, still retaining some of Mario's flexibility (albeit reduced) and having extra power to kill in situations where Mario simply won't get the job done. I'm going to keep experimenting with it, although I'll probably be switching between the two weapons and all future brushes.

joetext

Inkster Jr.
NNID
duncankeller
I am very eager to try the octobrush when I can grab some free time. As for the other guns, I'm having a blast trying all these weapons I've never even used once. It's like playing the game brand new again! Thanks for the thoughts, everybody.

Auregash

Inkling
NNID
mgeritz89
My Mainweapon is the 52. gallon deko. making so much damage and kills. Its very nice to play an it wont let met me down in so many matches.
Real nice little glossy shining weapon ;-)

GeeCee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GeeCee
I went back to the trusty krak-on roller and I go full Ninja with it, i just love it :) so satisfying to get multiple splats and hiding in walls, It took me to the A ranks before the update. Now, I change it up with the splattershot pro and the ocasional bucket :)

The Inkvenger

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PSICadet
I'm getting fairly good with the Splatling and Nozzlenose while 52 Gal Deco is still one of my best weapons.

Auregash

Inkling
NNID
mgeritz89
I hope that i can test Splatling soon. I haven't played since the Patch:(
But the Splatling is looking very great and seems to make a lot of fun to play

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom