Thoughts on Wellstring V and Custom Wellstring

Galaxitera

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2695-7012-5231
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Wellstring? I’ve been playing it the past 3 days and been having mixed ideas. As someone who primarily plays Gloogas and Dualie Squelchers it feels weird playing this new midline/backline hybrid, but maybe I just have to get used to it.

Mx_Diva

Cephalospinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212
It’s a different technique to be able to use it well but as a 5-star stringer player I’m enjoying it though the ultra stamp is a total liability.

Catloafman

Inkling Commander
Not sure if its good but I really like it
one thing about it is swapping between tristringer and wellstring can be awkward the muscle memory is subtly different

D

Deleted member

The Wellstring V is already one of my favorite weapons, but I haven't had much time to use it yet. I'll be using it more very soon, since I'm almost done getting a different weapon to five stars.

It's really fun! I like the way it charges and from what I've experienced so far, it inks well. It's very fun splatting people when all the shots are bunched up and you hit them point blank.

It's worth being one of my main weapons now, which is funny, because normally I don't use that weapon class at all. As for the Ultra Stamp, .. I love the Ultra Stamp! I have the gold badge for it, even. It can be easy to mess someone up who uses an Ultra Stamp, but I certainly have some tricks I do with it that can mess others up sometimes, too. (You know, plus some luck sometimes lmao.)

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
The Wellstring is brilliant in its stupidity. I love it for this reason.

The Wellstring is the only weapon in the game to have its partially charged shots be more powerful than its fully charged shots. Its wide spread is both a blessing and a curse, being able to cover a ridiculous amount of turf at maximum range, but also making one-shots virtually impossible to land. It is the only stringer that genuinely cares whether its shots are vertical or horizontal, which only adds to the depth of using it and makes it more fun.

And that's without mentioning that it can charge to a one-shot splat faster than any other charged weapon, even faster than a Squiffer. Its ability to defend itself is superior to any other backline. Is it a backline? Is it a midline? It has slightly more range than Jet Squelcher when fully charged, but at that point it won't be hitting anything directly for more than 35 damage. It's an enigma, that's what it is.

I will briefly mention the kits. Autobomb is perfect for the weapon, taking away even more space from opponents, and there are worse specials for it than Ultra Stamp. Point Sensor is perfectly serviceable and has its synergy, along with Wave Breaker.
Both kits are not good. The only other good thing I can say about them is that they're both about equally bad, meaning both are equally viable and Wellstring users can pick between them for certain maps or modes.
I'd still rather have a Triple Inkstrike or Ink Storm.

Overall I'll give the weapon an 8.5 out of 10, with one point deducted for the fact that Nintendo still refuses to give stringers kits.
Seven out of ten decent new kits. Three mediocre ones, and the new stringer gets two of them. I will be salty about this for the rest of time. (Or until a good third kit comes out.)

AbsentAria

Inkling
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-0607-7213-7613
I absolutely love it, custom wellstring might properly become my new main. I originally got into Tri-Stringer for its potential for area denial and now I have a stringer where aoe is its main concept!

Now I just need to work on my wave placements & sensor usage. I'm not used to having a kit that actually kinda works with a bow

rolodabo

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3963-6436-1306
I haven't tried the custom Wellstring yet, but I've been really enjoying the base kit so far! Even after 5-starring both Tri-Stringer kits the Wellstring feels different enough that it's definitely going to take time to get used to, especially timing the charging to consistently 1-shot during fights. At the moment it's largely a case of realising I don't need to jump to 1-shot well, and jumping actually messes me up on the charge time since it slows down in the air (tbh a Squiffer-like buff would be cool, but that's besides the point).

The mechanics of it are fun, with the choice to 1-shot from close range or to utilise the aoe. I think that gives it some flexibility and player expression, which is nice. Autobomb is fine on it -- any bomb on a stringer other than Reef-Lux is a nice change -- but I wish we got something a little more than 'fine'... I've always been a fan of the idea of Burst Bomb on a stringer, personally. Similar thing for Ultra Stamp. I've been using it as a tool to get into areas quickly more than anything; people's predictions were favouring it as a panic button, but that doesn't really work with the startup time and general weakness of the special, in my experience. The kit overall favours displacement of players, I think -- all the weapons work to make opponents move out of the way, pressuring them to move back and/or into less favourable positions, with the option to 1-shot if they get too close (and if you get the timing right). In that way, the kit works really well, but after playing ungodly amounts of Inkline, it does feel a little bit like more of the same. That hasn't diminished my enjoyment, though -- having a ton of fun with it.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Wellstring? I’ve been playing it the past 3 days and been having mixed ideas. As someone who primarily plays Gloogas and Dualie Squelchers it feels weird playing this new midline/backline hybrid, but maybe I just have to get used to it.
while being new to it try to keep your distance from players an/or follow someone who is very good at any weapon and try your best to strafe opponents

Yeenom

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
I suck with it but some people are really, REALLY good with it. I don't know if it's because I'm still learning Lemuria Hub and re-learning a bunch of stages but it consistently destroys me on frontliners. The kits do not hamper it whatsoever and it'll probably become an easy rank grinder.

2Ws2Ls

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
it/its
Switch Friend Code
SW-3607-4410-2815
Wellstring is just sort of weird. if any bow/flux player were too add it to their weapon pool i wouldn't question it but calling yourself a wellstring main seems like a bad idea. it has this problem where is can theoretically be really good if you practice with it, but you could also practice with normal weapons and your results would only be slightly worse, but more versatile as the meta shifts.

Onto the weapon itself, it feels like it wants to operate in a similar space to dynamo, which is kind of a surprise for a weapons defined by its relation to chargers. acting on the midline is a unique place for a stringer, and i think it does it about as well as you could get without just making bamboo 2. Taking advantage of partial charges is very cool, but like i said earlier, instead of learning to play around it you could just play a charger and you wouldn't have significantly worse results while having a more useful skill.

There is defiantly something to be said about its role as a training tool for partial charges though. having played a lot charger i can attest that partials are key, and when i started useing them consistently i feel like my skill shot up(especially when i switched to c-liter, as its longer charge time means you can get close range full charges as easily). For that, wellsting works, but its more applicable to bow rather than chargers in general.

For the more general use of wellstring, its very good at being annoying. its wide arc of bombs, while not super threating, can be a very good deterant for a very large area. and with how quickly it can get them out, it could esily support the rest of the team with 1 or 2 shots. This also gives it alot of paint, which gives it high utility in SZ and in pushing the team forward(as TW but i dont care about that), as giving that much space to move is inceadibly valuble to the team.

On the topic of the kits, both of them kinda suck. V wellstring has the betterm kit, but i think c wellstring has the better idea, as wellstring really leans into the supportive side of bow, its just that detection is not very useful, and point sensor has a bit of antisynergy with wave breaker, which majorly hampers that kit. v wellstring would work better if ultrastamp was at all functional, but i understand nintendos reluctance to give this a good special. Wellstrings high paint means it has quite a high special output, so if it had a usefull special like zooka or cooler, the meta would be in total dissary, which i dont think nintendo wants to deal with at this point in splatoon 3's life cycle(i think the time should be extended but i understand why nintendo has it this way).
(i did not accedently post this halfway finished then edited it to have my full thoughts that didnt happen at all)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom