Time to give up Ranked

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
In all honesty, I'm mostly rage typing because of Splatoon, but I feel like I need to convey my thoughts. Splatoon has some of the worst matchmaking I've ever seen in a game. On far too many occasions, I get paired with 3 Rollers, and we never win. I don't want to brag, but I get top nearly every game. I know kills aren't everything, but when none of my team has a positive kill ratio, they clearly can't hold their own weight. The incompetence and lack of teamwork in this game is astounding. If it's their weapons that are holding them back, they have to leave, and I never get to see them make a comeback. Since the game doesn't allow for people to change weapons in the lobby, they should take weapons into consideration when making teams.But, that seems like a lot of work to incorporate weapons into the team making process, so I say they allow for people to change their god damned gear in the lobby. People wouldn't have to leave the lobby every single time, so lobbies would keep more people in it.

I get that Splatoon tries to differentiate from other shooters, but c'mon. We can't have friends play in ranked with us. We can't have any communication. Why can't we have the option to open our gear and change it for the next battle instead of playing some stupid mini-game?

Until something balances this, I just can't play ranked. I don't throw controllers, but I've been pretty close to even on the GamePad.

Last edited:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I think it sounds reasonable, seeing it seems easy to implement but highly usefull. However, I don't agree when people say they should know their map before switching, as people would only pick the best for two maps. Having the map be unknown increases weapon diversity.

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
I think it sounds reasonable, seeing it seems easy to implement but highly usefull. However, I don't agree when people say they should know their map before switching, as people would only pick the best for two maps. Having the map be unknown increases weapon diversity.
I agree, but that also takes away the uniqueness of Splatoon. Having only 2 maps ensures that you prepare for each. I just want an option to change gear because not having it doesn't add anything to the experience of Splatoon. Rather, it pisses me off because my team never prepares properly.

Manta

Senior Squid
Just finished a match where I went 16-6 and the rest of my team, who were all chargers, went ~0-8 (like I suck at chargers but even I've done better than that). I think it would help a lot too if say, a +5 KD ratio still gave you points/made you not lose points. It would really help if you could change weapons in the lobby as well.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Post more information on your weapon, abilities, what rank you are, etc instead of just complaining about your team.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
I lose a lot in Ranked too but I still find it fun just for playing Splat Zones and Tower Control.

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
I lose a lot in Ranked too but I still find it fun just for playing Splat Zones and Tower Control.
I love them, too. I just hate seeing my rank go down:(

Post more information on your weapon, abilities, what rank you are, etc instead of just complaining about your team.
I alternate between .52 Gal, N-ZAP, and Tentatek Splattershot depending on the map. My main abilities are : Ink Saver Main; Stealth Ninja or Special Saver; and Special Charge Up or Stealth Jump. I switch between them sometimes, and I haven't played long enough to the point that I can reroll for the best minor stats. That being said, I still choose support specials to let my team get a better advantage so they aren't ****.

Also, I'm rank B. Which I am forever trapped at. I'm open to any criticism and suggestions for better play. I want to get better, but I also want my team to get better xD This thread was made so I could vent, but now that I've calmed down, I'm all ears:)

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
The B ranks are this games ELO hell. If you're playing .52 or splattershot hang back and don't try and rambo people. play the point and get your special up with tentatek and make use of your ink walls with .52. If you're the best player on the team then you need to keep yourself alive.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I love them, too. I just hate seeing my rank go down:(

I alternate between .52 Gal, N-ZAP, and Tentatek Splattershot depending on the map. My main abilities are : Ink Saver Main; Stealth Ninja or Special Saver; and Special Charge Up or Stealth Jump. I switch between them sometimes, and I haven't played long enough to the point that I can reroll for the best minor stats. That being said, I still choose support specials to let my team get a better advantage so they aren't ****.

Also, I'm rank B. Which I am forever trapped at. I'm open to any criticism and suggestions for better play. I want to get better, but I also want my team to get better xD This thread was made so I could vent, but now that I've calmed down, I'm all ears:)

Ink Saver Main and Special Saver are solid abilities. I wouldn't waste time with Steath Jump or Ninja. SJing is rarely a good idea and even when you can do it safely to not get splatted immediately your situation awareness is super vulnerable and you can be surprised attacked easier. Ninja I find is so-so, you can usually get the surprise jump on enemies without it and most enemies will shoot in the direction of your ink regardless if they know you are there or not. Plus it just slows you down. I'd suggest an ink saver sub, cold blooded, ink resistance or swim speed up. Although with Tentatek you have pretty good ink usage so you don't really need the ink saver main but yes it does help greatly.

B ranks are hell. I only got out of them a few weeks ago myself although B- is the worst rank to play in imho. Even now as A-/A, A+ rooms are less infuriating as people generally play well and there is less salt.

I play Tentatek as well. My advice for inkzooka is to save it until you see enemies then ambush them. It's wasted if all you are doing is inking ground with it. You can easily get triple or quad kills with it if timed right. Try to be on lower ground or on the same level as target as if you are up high your range isnt as great.

For overall play I would say, use the terrain to your advantage more. Its so easy to get the jump on B players as they travel in straight paths. Recon the maps and find/get comfortable with swimming up walls, pipes, boxes, and finding hiding places to catch the enemy by surprise. Also play defensively, the only weapons that should be fighting head on are chargers with super range, like Agosta said your living is more important.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Kill/Death ratio isn't worth much if you are ignoring the objective. Try and learn to be a bit flexible and compliment anything your teammates are doing. Also what's wrong with a team of 3 rollers? I play roller and I have ended up on entire teams of rollers and have won most of those rounds. Maybe it is more map specific, but it isn't impossible. I definitely get the frustration though.

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
Kill/Death ratio isn't worth much if you are ignoring the objective. Try and learn to be a bit flexible and compliment anything your teammates are doing. Also what's wrong with a team of 3 rollers? I play roller and I have ended up on entire teams of rollers and have won most of those rounds. Maybe it is more map specific, but it isn't impossible. I definitely get the frustration though.
The Roller teams I'd get paired with lost because we'd be playing on long-distance levels and the other team would have snipers and dual squelchers, which have a great advantage. It just seems like the synergy of having a variety of weapons is better than simple K:D to determine teams. Also, I'm always at the objective, which is why I get good kills xD I can camp there fairly easily, and I hope that my team capitalizes on the fact that there aren't many opponents by the objective.

What sensitivities do you guys play at, btw? Normally, I kept it high for COD, but this isn't COD, so I left it to +1. I can handle higher speeds, but do you think it'd be worth it?

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think I may have a negative sensitivity. When I was in B rank I used to pick times where I noticed things were easier for me (Maybe because less lag or some regions have more better/worse players. When you finally make it to A rank it will probably be a breath of fresh air for you. You might need to figure out a way to play a bit more defensively to protect/help your team mates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom