Tips and Tricks

Doodly Doo

Inkling
NNID
herosblade
Use this forum to post either facts about the game that newer players might not know or opinions on what you think are the best strategies, weapon/gear stats, i.e.

Doodly Doo

Inkling
NNID
herosblade
Biggest thing that wasn't very clear when starting out was understanding how gear abilities stack.

Talking to Judd (the cat announcer), he once said that you benefit from having variety in your gear because having multiples of a single skill isn't a direct multiplier. BUT I have learned from others on forums that this ONLY applies to the main abilities while sub abilities are unaffected.

So for example, if you have a hat and a shirt that both have a defense main ability, your total defense wont be increased by 2 rather only 1.5 ( Numbers are an example, I don't know what the actual stat value increase is). While that does increase defense more than a single main ability would, you're also missing out on having that ability slot being filled with something worth it's full value.

The way to get the most out of maxing an ability is utilizing the sub abilities. Each sub ability is worth 1/3 of a main ability, so if you have 3 of the same sub ability it is equal to 1 main ability even in addition to an already equipped main. So say you have that same defense hat, and you had a shirt that had 3 of its sub slots filled with defense sub abilities, you would have a total of + 2 in defense.
This concept is partially described in this video. (I would highly recommend watching all the squid science videos as they all have useful info)

"How do I get my gear to have all the sub abilities I want?" you might ask. Well the assignment of sub abilities is, at it's core, random. The key does lie with obtaining the power to re-roll your stats once you reach level 20 from the urchin in the back alley, you can plan ahead when dropping the 30000 coins required to do so.

That lies with the brands. Each brand of clothing has advantages and disadvantages when rolling for sub abilities: (pulled this off a GameFAQs forum)

Amiibo, Cuttlegear, and KOG brands don't affect secondary abilities in any way.

Firefin - 5x chance for Ink Saver (Sub), 1/2 chance for Ink Recovery Sub

Forge - 5x chance for Special Duration Up, 1/2 chance for Ink Saver (Sub)

Inkline - 5x Defense Up, 1/2 Damage Up

Krak-On - 5x Swim Speed Up, 1/2 Defense Up

Rockenberg - 5x Run Speed Up, 1/2 Swim Speed Up

Skalop - 5x Quick Respawn, 1/2 Special Saver

Splash Mob - 5x Ink Saver (Main), 1/2 Run Speed Up

Squidforce - 5x Damage Up, 1/2 Ink Saver Main

Takoroka - 5x Special Charge Up, 1/2 Special Duration Up

Tentatek - 5x Ink Recovery Up, 1/2 Quick Super Jump

Zekko - 5x Special Saver, 1/2 Special Charge Up

Zink - 5x Quick Super Jump, 1/2 Quick Respawn

Hopefully this helped with planning out your ideal gear setup. Gear isn't everything, I would recommend building a solid playstyle with your weapon of choice and building your gear around that.

With the splatfests being this frequent and the payout on super sea snails high, you should be able to get a decent set without grinding.

Lugia

Inkling
NNID
pokr123e
In Rainmaker around the B ranks, I've seen a lot of teams miss a very quick KO opportunity in Blackbelly Skatepark where there are the two halfpipes and the right one leads you to the goal fast. I've been able to do this almost consistently in the B/B- rank, B+ and higher probably would make it more difficult to execute.

RoboticJ4000

Inkling
NNID
RoboticJ4000
Tips, tips, uhh, tips, ok.
This is going to be for abilities for certain weapon types (Note that some of this is theoretical, so it my not be good)
Just to say, Ink Saver is EXTREMELY useful, reviewing some old footage of my gameplay, Ink Saver realy saves ink (the Main version anyways).
Also Swim Speed Up and Special Charge Up is useful as for moving around half the time you're swimming and you should always be using your special.

Shooters: If you're a close range shooter, run speed up is a good ability so that you have more mobility in fire fights, same thing goes for Ink Resistance Up. For the long ranged, Ink Recovery Up is useful for staying in a place to covering things in a radius around you.

Rollers:

WIP PLZ HELP CONTRIBUTE

RoboticJ4000

Inkling
NNID
RoboticJ4000
This is a add-on to my post on this Forum (For some reason, I can't edit the original post).

Special Duration Up is only useful for buff type specials, which are Inkzooka, Bubbler, Kraken, and Bomb Rush (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Shooters: For Blasters, Gals, and the H-3 Nozzlenose, Damage Up is good in case of damage fall-off and adding some more damage to each shot.
Rollers: Run Speed Up doesn't do anything good for rollers, so don't waste a slot for that. Ninja Squid, Stealth Jump, and Cold-Blooded are good for rollers because you're going to want to be sneaky when using one.
Chargers: Ink Saver (Sub) is very useful as most sub weapons for chargers are useful for self-defence so you're going to want to make use of it. Tenacity may also useful as you're not going to be in the front lines (unless you are using the Squiffer) so you won't be dieing a lot, also when you're teammates in the front die, Tenacity would kick in and charge your special to help hold them off. Also like the Long Ranged Shooters, Ink Recovery Up is good for recovering ink at one spot.

This is what I got, if you have any more strategies, please post them on this forum.

sunflowerman10

Inkling
this is a very handy short cut at bluefing depot when playing on rainmaker mode.
climb the wall from the enemy team, there should be a few boxes stacked there that you can climb on.
normally you can't climb the pillars that lead to there goal, but if you jump from the boxes on the pillars you can pass the line that would block you from swimming up.
this saves a HUGE amount of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom