Total Ground Coverage of Each Map

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I don't know if this has already been documented or not, but I decided to see which stages were the biggest and the smallest. To that end, I used the following formula:

(a + b)/(c + d)

Where:
a = Total ground coverage of Good Guys in "p" units
b = Total ground coverage of Bad Guys in "p" units
c = Total covered percentage of Good Guys, where 100% is 1.000
d = Total covered percentage of Bad Guys, where 100% is 1.000

Because the game rounds percentages to the nearest tenth of a percent and all ground coverage in "p" units to the nearest integer, the numbers won't always be exact. Hence, I needed multiple matches to get a good set of results and zero in on the exact values. Plugging in these numbers from a few matches in each stage, these are the values I came up with, from largest to smallest:
Piranha Pit: 3125p
Museum d'Alfonsino: 2500p
Urchin Underpass (new): 2467p
Flounder Heights: 2380p
Camp Triggerfish: 2315p
Ancho-V Games: 2300p
Kelp Dome: 2120p
Hammerhead Bridge: 2100p
Urchin Underpass (old): 2100p
Arowana Mall: 2025p
Mahi-Mahi Resort: 1950p
Saltspray Rig: 1900p
Port Mackerel: 1850p
Moray Towers: 1755p
Bluefin Depot: 1667p
Walleye Warehouse: 1600p
Blackbelly Skatepark: 1530p

Do these look about right to you? (I'll update this as more stages come out.)

By the way, with larger changes to the maps between modes, I am counting only the Turf War versions of the stages, as that's the only mode where it's relevant.

Last edited:

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I never thought Mall would be so high up in turf coverage. Although I suppose how much you can cover vs how easily you can cover it is a different story. Kelp Dome/Camp Triggerfish has a lot of ground that's easy to cover but overall has less compared to Urchin which has more with harder to cover areas.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
The other thing is that walls can be covered too but don't count towards the end-of-match total. It's why Flounder Heights has the illusion of being so big: There's a lot of wall area too. That, and walls cause you to take longer to reach certain points.

I'm interested in seeing how the wiki got those totals, as they seem to be a lot more random. The only way to know for sure the exact area in p-units is to have one team ink 100% of a stage, which is impossible due to the opposing team's spawn area. What I did was that for every stage, I used no less than 3 matches. Since the game rounds up or down, they'll be inexact numbers, being more accurate the closer to 100% the total coverage for both teams combined are, but always within a range of 10 p-units as long as the total is 80% or above. As I get more numbers down, they tend towards one particular number, which is how I got those. For the ones that don't end in 0 or 5, I calculated several matches to make sure that I wasn't getting incorrect information, but I knew I might come to the wrong conclusions.

It's particularly curious to me as, besides Walleye Warehouse and Saltspray Rig, the wiki's calculations differ from mine by 1 to 5 p-units, which is greater than the variation I got when calculating over several matches' worth of the same stage. (I calculated the most for Arowana Mall, as I didn't think it was that big and I was sure I miscalculated, and for the new Urchin Underpass, as I was getting answers between 2465p and 2472p but it was most frequently at or near 2467p, not any multiple of 5.)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
UPDATE: I've calculated the ground area of Hammerhead Bridge. Turns out it's 2100p, tied with the old Urchin Underpass and very slightly smaller than Kelp Dome. It probably just feels bigger because of all the walls slowing you down.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I would've guessed Flounder Heights to be the map with most possible ground coverage, it must just be the walls making it seem larger. Even so, Urchin Underpass never seemed like that much to me, I would've thought Kelp Dome and Camp Triggerfish would be above it.

Player 3.0

Inkling
NNID
TheWinner159
Jokes aside, one way to figure out is to get 1,2,4,5,10,20, or 50 percent and multiply (IT WILL NOT BE EXACT)

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
The closer you are to 100%, the more precise it will be. It's also very, very hard to get precise percentages like 25%.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Okay, I've measured the results of a few Turf Wars matches for Museum d'Alfonsino, and it seems to clock in at a hefty 2500p, making it the biggest stage in the game yet.

Makes me wonder how massive the pool in Mahi-Mahi Resort will be.

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
I don't know if this has already been documented or not, but I decided to see which stages were the biggest and the smallest. To that end, I used the following formula:

(a + b)/(c + d)

Where:
a = Total ground coverage of Good Guys in "p" units
b = Total ground coverage of Bad Guys in "p" units
c = Total covered percentage of Good Guys, where 100% is 1.000
d = Total covered percentage of Bad Guys, where 100% is 1.000

Because the game rounds percentages to the nearest tenth of a percent and all ground coverage in "p" units to the nearest integer, the numbers won't always be exact. Hence, I needed multiple matches to get a good set of results and zero in on the exact values. Plugging in these numbers from a few matches in each stage, these are the values I came up with, from largest to smallest:
Museum d'Alfonsino: 2500p
Urchin Underpass (new): 2467p
Flounder Heights: 2380p
Camp Triggerfish: 2315p
Kelp Dome: 2120p
Hammerhead Bridge: 2100p
Urchin Underpass (old): 2100p
Arowana Mall: 2025p
Saltspray Rig: 1900p
Port Mackerel: 1850p
Moray Towers: 1755p
Bluefin Depot: 1667p
Walleye Warehouse: 1600p
Blackbelly Skatepark: 1530p

Do these look about right to you? (I'll update this as more stages come out.)
Honesty, I just judge by how large my inkstrike icon is. I notice that it shrinks or gets larger depending on the size of the stage. Just by experience, this looks about right. Museum D'Alfonsino is huge, I get lost at times...

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I had a feeling the Museum would be a point monster. Lovin' it. Even when I lose I get so much cash.
Yeah, I remember people saying that when Flounder Heights came out. I've been noticing an upwards trend in area as the game goes on and more stages are put into the game, though there are some outliers like Moray Towers. The only truly small post-release stage so far is Bluefin Depot, and that was released more or less unchanged from how it was in the single-player mode, meaning it was already finalized before release.

Honesty, I just judge by how large my inkstrike icon is. I notice that it shrinks or gets larger depending on the size of the stage. Just by experience, this looks about right. Museum D'Alfonsino is huge, I get lost at times...
Before I decided to calculate the size directly, I used the sizes of the spawn points as indicators, but they're so small, the only thing I could conclude out of it was that Blackbelly Skatepark is tiny.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Has anyone figured out the total potential ground coverage for Mahi-Mahi Resort yet? It feels small to me but I've had people say it seems really large, it'd be cool to know.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Initial calculations of mine put it between 1950p and 2000p, but this range is still too high for me to be confident about its size.

In addition, I haven't had much time to actually play on it, and the Splatfest ate into that. I'll try to get more accurate numbers once I can play more Turf War matches on Mahi-Mahi Resort and look at other people's videos.

Whatever its true area is, if it's between 1950p and 2000p, that puts it below the median (2025p) and the average (2016p). It'd be between Arowana Mall and Saltspray Rig (Arowana being bigger, Saltspray being smaller).

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
No, that's the one I've been running calculations on longer than any other stage because it was one of the ones used in the Testfires. Hence, I am pretty certain that Walleye Warehouse is 1600p.

EDIT: After calculating more results, I am reasonably confident that Mahi-Mahi Resort's area is 1950p, making it one of the smaller stages (but there are plenty smaller than it).

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
UPDATE: I've added Piranha Pit to the list. At 3125p, it is over twice the size of the smallest stage, Blackbelly Skatepark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom