• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tower Control & Ink Mines (For or Against?)

MichaelQ3265

Inkling
NNID
MichaelQ3265
This forum is for those who want to express their answers and reasoning about the following question: Are ink mines broken in Tower Control mode? Personally, I go two ways. It's not like infinite combos in fighting games in which they are oversights in the design; Ink Mines are a deliberate part of the game and are fair use anywhere (as long as no glitches are abused). That being said, using ink mines on the tower in Tower Control is simply a suicide to the opposing team. It's an instant-splat weapon, and leaves the opposing team at a significant disadvantage. I want to hear your ideas though! So feel free to drop a comment on this.

Squadaloo

Full Squid
NNID
RodRodney
It's not broken at all. You have time to leave if it's going off (albeit not much, but still time), and the person laying it has to actually get on the tower to lay it unlike other bombs which can be thrown from a distance and also force you to vacate the tower (and also aren't broken either). Plus, if your team is playing correctly, you really should have a bare minimum of people on the tower anyways so even if it were to kill one person, another can take their place.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
No. I literally don't care about ink mines. I get caught off guard occasonally, but anything in this game can catch you off guard.

Ink Mines only are on the tower if the person has time to set them. So control the tower more often or kill that player faster.
If you kill an enemy on the tower while on the ground there is a good chance the mine will go off.
Just jump immediately if you see a mine. Not guaranteed an escape, but not guaranteed a death either.
If your teamate is getting on the tower too, in general you should stay on the ground, unless the situation says otherwise.

DakotaBonez

Full Squid
Is it not possible to trip an inkmine then jump out of the way?

I thought that the Kraken was broken in this mode because it can just tackle a tower, destroying any tower campers whilst remaining invincible and moving the tower forward for its team.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I think that it is fine. I personally think that a good defence is suction bombs. best sub ever

Crazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AjninYzarc
I am one of the squids that use ink mines on the tower-it gives your team that extra few seconds after you die to get back on the tower and hopefully take out a few enemies in the process. There are times the tower is covered in our color ink and it will say cannot use, but its probably just lag or something.

Benjamin Hellcat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
H3llcat
I dislike them, but find they are viable... if also annoying. They can offer the team using them a few precious moments which could matter or they could just be a momentary nuisance. I would just say, expect them and play accordingly.

MichaelQ3265

Inkling
NNID
MichaelQ3265
Thanks to everyone who read and submitted to this thread! I took everything into consideration and training, and while I still think it's really powerful in Tower Control, I've learned to move past the issue and actually avoid the ink mines (although I still tend to get caught in the explosions sometimes). Again, I thank you all very much for all of your tips!

Kivvx

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kivvxnnid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4332-7325-6621
Inkmines certainly become more useful in tower control. I don't consider them 'too good' or anything though. There are other things that people favor over the inkmines.
Someone above mentioned the kraken,

The inkmines can stop the tower from advancing, while the kraken can prevent you from losing the tower and advance at the same time.

Caito

Inkling
NNID
CallMeCaito
I think Ink Mines are more troublesome for close-combat weapon-users. I frequently see people splat Inklings on the Tower from a distances. Then, the Ink Mines go off before anyone from the conquering team even approaches the Tower top. So they may seem more broken if you tend to choose weapons that involve splatting up close and personal.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
Ink mines don't really bother me, but I am also a very conservative player and only hop on the tower if no one else is there.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
There are very few weapons with Inkmines, I think only the Rapid Blaster, Areospray, and Luna Blaster, and of those only the latter is frequently used in Ranked from my experience. This makes it easy to tell if you even need to watch out for Inkmines because at the start of battle it shows the team compositions.

Lag Chan

Inkster Jr.
Not a fan of it. I hate it really, same as being able to move the tower as a Kracken. At the very least I wish that ink mines would just disappear after the person who placed them is splatted. Anything to make it less annoying and just stupid to go against.

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
Not a fan of it. I hate it really, same as being able to move the tower as a Kracken. At the very least I wish that ink mines would just disappear after the person who placed them is splatted. Anything to make it less annoying and just stupid to go against.
Ink Mines are annoying on TC, but if anything they need a buff. The offer no range benefits and are easy to avoid. If you are a roller you can actually roll past one without getting splatted. What you should do is shoot upward so that your ink lands on the tower and sets off the Ink Mine before you get on it. That or jump off as soon as you see it activate. And of course there is Bomb Sniffer if all else fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom