Tower Control Strategies

PHIL Master 227

Inkling
NNID
PHILMaster227
Tower Control really caught my eye when I saw it in the Splatoon Direct, and it looks like a gamemode that I would love to play a lot! So if anyone else feels the same way, what are some potential good strategies for it?

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
The Bubbler is probably one of the best options for Tower Control since everyone will be focused on you, and it grants a few seconds of Invincibility.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
It seems like a lot of fun. Rollers will most likely be useless, Chargers will be very effective at taking out whoever is on the tower. I think one guy to take the tower, another to counter the enemy snipers, and two snipers to prevent the enemy from making any progress if they get the tower will be an effective squad composition.

PHIL Master 227

Inkling
NNID
PHILMaster227
I did think that team supporters would hide in the side of the Route that the tower takes and snipes any enemy when they see them. And if a SplatCharger main is paired with a bubbler special... We probably just thought of the best set for tower control.

kyouzou

Inkling
NNID
kyouzou
I think the shower wall secondary will be very useful in tower control.

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
Chargers will definitely have the most use in this mode.
The person on the tower can use it to fend off the enemy, and your allies on the ground that are farther away from the tower can pick off the enemies close to you.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Chargers will definitely have the most use in this mode.
The person on the tower can use it to fend off the enemy, and your allies on the ground that are farther away from the tower can pick off the enemies close to you.
Chargers do seem to be the most effective weapon in this mode. While rollers will most likely be useless because of the platform itself.

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think chargers would be very popular here, and generally bombs will be a priority.

PHIL Master 227

Inkling
NNID
PHILMaster227
I plan to mostly use the splattershot throughout the whole game, so I think I will be the type of player who actually will ride the tower to move ahead.

And I also wonder what willl happen to the tower if no one stands on it for a while, will it stay where it is, or will it reset to its beginning position?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It is hard to talk about strategies of a mode we haven't played yet, not to mention we only had access to four out of various weapons. Considering the weapons we had access to in the demo, as mentioned by other posters above, the Splat Charger seems like a good weapon for Tower Control.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
I agree with everything already mentioned. Maybe it would be smart for someone to use the paintbrush to gain control of the tower first because it's so fast. The only problem I see with it is scaling vertical walls to get to the tower as the tower will probably be somewhat high up. Also, can you submerge yourself in ink while on top of the tower?

PHIL Master 227

Inkling
NNID
PHILMaster227
I
I agree with everything already mentioned. Maybe it would be smart for someone to use the paintbrush to gain control of the tower first because it's so fast. The only problem I see with it is scaling vertical walls to get to the tower as the tower will probably be somewhat high up. Also, can you submerge yourself in ink while on top of the tower?
I am pretty sure you can be in squid form and hide in the ink on the tower and it will still move, but I don't see that being helpful as the enemy will know someone is up there and you can't shoot back.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Chargers and Bubbler sets will definitely gain the most mileage. Chargers for picking off those on the tower and Bubblers to protect the Payload/Tower.
I don't expect it to be a highly tactical mode, but instead a simple fun mode that you play when you don't know what to play (like TF2's Payload)

kyouzou

Inkling
NNID
kyouzou
Does anyone know if the tower will go slower when travelling through enemy ink?

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
I plan to mostly use the splattershot throughout the whole game, so I think I will be the type of player who actually will ride the tower to move ahead.

And I also wonder what willl happen to the tower if no one stands on it for a while, will it stay where it is, or will it reset to its beginning position?
It will stay where it is. The match only lasts for a certain amount of time. When the time is up, whichever team has moved the tower closer to the enemies' spawn point wins. So if the tower is closer to the Blue team's spawn point, then Orange team wins.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
since there's a grate you can fall through on the tower and you can't squid for safety, and you HAVE to be on it for it to move forward, you will have to support the person on the tower a lot

defensive strategies like throwing ink walls in spots where the other team has issues getting past and using the bubbler in the area of the person on the tower (assuming you even can, if its like an ubercharge in tf2 youll wont be able to accomplish the objective with it) is going to be essential

the person on the tower HAS to have mobility options for safely approaching and retreating it, and teams will probably have more than 1 player geared toward doing that. i can see the extended mobility the splattershot jr. has in splatterhopping and splatdashing being amazing for this mode, since you have to be mobile to leave firefights you can't win, and this maybe be the gamemode where chargers see the most use for safely protecting the tower-runners

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
It seems like a lot of fun. Rollers will most likely be useless, Chargers will be very effective at taking out whoever is on the tower. I think one guy to take the tower, another to counter the enemy snipers, and two snipers to prevent the enemy from making any progress if they get the tower will be an effective squad composition.
I'd argue that your teams roller is very useful for this game mode. The roller is very good at killing people who arn't paying attention and also good at stealth kills. The enemy team will be primarily focused on whoever is currently on the tower. If you are roller and have a team mate on the tower this is your time to defend the tower player by rolling over the other team while they aren't paying attention to you.

Now taking into account the ink brush and the dynamo roller. The ink brush due to its speed might have the potential to get to the tower the fastest. While it may not be able to stay on the tower it might have the potential to start an early lead. It also will likely also be good for the purposes described in the previous paragraph.Then the Dynamo roller has it's huge splash wave. This wave is damaging,absolutely huge, and also acts as a shield. A tower player with the dynamo roller would be able to defend himself with his giant splash. The main downside is that it is slow, but its defensive ability is well worth it, especially since the tower is a high position where that splash will cover even more space.

Rollers aside. The bubbler super will probably be great for this game mode. However the bubbler player should NOT be the one on the tower. The player with bubbler super should be somewhere away from the battle charging up their super, and once their super is ready they should super jump to the tower player (assuming you can super jump to the tower, if not then to the closest person to the tower). Once next to the tower player activate bubble. When shield runs out retreat and charge super again.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
I agree with @RayneTheSkunk Rollers won't be purposeless in this game mode. rollers weem like they will be able to cover teritory fastest. This may not have a direct effect on the payload. but it is going to help reduce enemy mobility and build up that speacial gauge faster than a charger trying to snipe a player on the payload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom