• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Trying to learn chargers. Have some questions.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
Long story short, I am godawful with chargers of any description. I made a point of trying to use them exclusively shortly after Christmas, when all the new players started flooding the game, and still did pretty bad.

So, a series of questions:

1. What are the best weapons for a new charger player to use?
2. What should a charger player be trying to do? (Lock down an area, exert pressure, watch a flank, etc.?)
3. Related, where do chargers fit in terms of offense/defense/support roles?
4. Other than Moray Towers and Arowana Mall, what maps are good for chargers?
5. What maps are bad for chargers? (And why?)
6. As a new charger player, what should I try to focus on first? (Survival, splats, etc.?)
7. Are there any non-charger weapons that could help one get in the right mindset?

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
Long story short, I am godawful with chargers of any description. I made a point of trying to use them exclusively shortly after Christmas, when all the new players started flooding the game, and still did pretty bad.

1. What are the best weapons for a new charger player to use? When I got into chargers, I started with the Splat Charger, which easily flows into Splatterscope, and you can try E-Liter scoped or no scoped after that depending on what you like better.
2. What should a charger player be trying to do? (Lock down an area, exert pressure, watch a flank, etc.?) All of the above. In most maps, you can pressure enemies out of a certain zone by just covering it. Custom E-Liter has great visibility with Beakons, but all of them can watch a flank, as generally sniper perches are high above the map, giving you a good view of mid and spawn.
3. Related, where do chargers fit in terms of offense/defense/support roles? Depends. I think they work best a defense / support, but Splat Charger and Squiffer can go offensive in my opinion. Most chargers have the tools to be a safe super jump spot, watch the objective, and be overall great defensive / support players.
4. Other than Moray Towers and Arowana Mall, what maps are good for chargers? In my opinion, Bluefin and Walleye, as you have a variety of perches and can cover different areas. Walleye has the crate and grate, as well as the boxes to either side, and Bluefin has the area right above Zone, or the side the Zone isn't on.
5. What maps are bad for chargers? (And why?) I'm not a fan of Ancho-V, as I cannot count how many times the elevated platform or Miiverse posts have blocked my shot, and Flounder Heights can be iffy at times, depending on how offensive the opposing team is.
6. As a new charger player, what should I try to focus on first? (Survival, splats, etc.?) I'd go for minimizing deaths and just supporting your team. Watch the objective from a distance or control a certain area of the map.
7. Are there any non-charger weapons that could help one get in the right mindset? Go for the Jet Squelcher, so you know how to keep away from the opponent and use your range to an advantage, plus the Heavy Splatling so you can get what it's like to have to charge up to get a kill.
There you go. Happy Splatting!

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega

2. What should a charger player be trying to do? (Lock down an area, exert pressure, watch a flank, etc.?)
6. As a new charger player, what should I try to focus on first? (Survival, splats, etc.?)
7. Are there any non-charger weapons that could help one get in the right mindset?
1. Train yourself on the regular splat charger (or it's sisters Kelp and Bento). This will give you a feel for the weapon and allow you ease into one of the variants later.

2. The easy trap for novice Chargers to fall into is thinking of themselves as a sniper. That is a part of your role, not its entirety. You are a support player. You should be looking to hamper Bad Guy movement by cutting into their ink lines, painting vertical surfaces for your team, destroying sprinklers/beakons/splash walls/inkmines, inking turf, and rescuing team mates stuck in enemy ink. Simply holding for targets is a completely inefficient way to Charger.

3. Always support, with offense and defense generally depending on the map.

4. Blackbelly Skatepark. Head right through the halfpipe and set up shop on the ledge. It has maybe the best control/risk ratio in the entire game.

5. Kelp Dome. It's almost entirely ground game, which sucks for most chargers.

6. Getting a feel for the weapon and learning where to go for each map.

7. I'm afraid I don't know this one. I haven't picked up a none charger weapon since I beat the single player mode.

Hope this helps!

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Chargers are my weak class, but I'll try to help.

I would say splatter(scope), any version. Because you often have a second try after a miss, while E-Liter is less forgiving, and you still have a great range, while bamboo and squiffer needs to fight .96 or pro guys...

See Spraylan's answer. Don't forget to keep your distance. And survive.

See above.

A would say Port is good. Mahi zones is really hard with a good E-Liter opponent.

I would say Flonder is the worst for E-Liter. I think some even swith to splat chargers on this one, as the better range is not that useful. Why it's bad... Well, what's the perfect spot for a sniper? One where you see everyone coming, where you can't be flanked too easily, this kind. On Flounder, you need to go in the centre so that you can see people. But centre means risks too.

I would say it's interesting for any weapon to focus on surviving more than on killing. This way, you'll improve your style so that you can kill without dying. Someone focusing on killing won't be afraid to die, and will die at the worst times eventually. Anyway, a charger should stay alive, as it's very hard for the opposing team to push far without killing him in lots of situations.

Probably not? One can say that jet squelchers, heavy or hydra splatlings are kinda close, but I would say it's not really that close. Jet is more flexible, so you can always push harder than with a charger. Splatlings don't need as much accuracy nor spots.

I see the post is 2 months old, but I chose to answer it anyway, as the author maybe still wants help, and it can help other players too. Anyway, these were my thoughts on this topic. Atm I'm S or S+ with the chargers, depending of the sets and rotations.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
1. Start with Splatterscope, fast charge time but has enough range to actually have a huge prescence on the map.
2. Focus on the objective and pick off people near it
3. As before, defensive objective play.
4. Triggerfish is pretty nice, but I'd say most maps are good.
5. The only one I think is bad is probably Flounder.
6. I guess splats? It's certainly not an inking weapon.
7. Heavy or Hydra Splatling, they kill fast at long range and can "lock down" an area, I guess?

GoldWatson

Full Squid
NNID
floandgold
1. What are the best weapons for a new charger player to use? Personally, I used (and still love) the Kelp Splatterscope. It's quite good and there's not too big of a punishment for missing a shot as opposed to the E-Liters which have a very long charge up time.
2. What should a charger player be trying to do? (Lock down an area, exert pressure, watch a flank, etc.?) Probably Lock down (and pressure) the objective. Most splat zone maps have a good place for charger users to go, and that's where you need to be as a charger in Splat Zones. For Tower Control and Rainmaker, be constantly rotating to check flanks and lock down the rainmaker initially.
3. Related, where do chargers fit in terms of offense/defense/support roles? I personally use my charger very offensively and close range i.e. I don't charge my shots much and I have a good aim and fast reaction. Most people will say chargers are defense roles, though. I'd play more defensive than offensive to start off to get your aim better.
4. Other than Moray Towers and Arowana Mall, what maps are good for chargers? the Museum map, because there's many spots to camp and shoot from areas where most offensive weapons can't reach you easily. Pretty much, look for maps with places that 1.) Are over the rest of the map and 2.) Are hard to reach with you continuing to shut somebody down.
5. What maps are bad for chargers? (And why?) Walleye Warehouse. There isn't many places where a charger can snipe from and not be noticed. Nothing works
because a Carbon Roller can reach you from most of the spots you'll want to be sniping at.
6. As a new charger player, what should I try to focus on first? (Survival, splats, etc.?) Aim. Aim is the main thing you need to know. Be sure to adjust your sensitivity until you find something you are comfortable with. When I first started, I was on the default sensitivity, and now that I've changed it to +5 I'm hitting shots a lot more consistently on moving targets.
7. Are there any non-charger weapons that could help one get in the right mindset? Any splatling pretty much.

Good luck on being a charger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom