• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Turf War or Splat Zones?

Turf War or Splat Zones?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
For all of you Inklings who have reached Level 10 or above; which do you prefer, the more casual Turf War or the more competitive Splat Zones?

[Yes, this thread is useless until Splat Zones is unlocked.]

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
Even though it may not be the more competitive option, I think I'm going to enjoy Turf War more. I'm not bothered by "carrying" or the random assignment of teams that can lead to a one-sided battle. I bought the game because of this mode--it's what I've been waiting for since e3. Holding a checkpoint will be a fun mode as well, but I'm not going to think "I can finally stop in that casual mode now."

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
While I can't say since Splat Zones is well, yeah.

I'm hoping there is a tad more weapon variation in Splat Zones. Already tired of seeing the Jr and Aerospray every where.

Every where.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Even though it may not be the more competitive option, I think I'm going to enjoy Turf War more. I'm not bothered by "carrying" or the random assignment of teams that can lead to a one-sided battle. I bought the game because of this mode--it's what I've been waiting for since e3. Holding a checkpoint will be a fun mode as well, but I'm not going to think "I can finally stop in that casual mode now."
Yes, me too. Splat Zones is an interesting and more competitive mode, but in the long run I feel like I'll enjoy playing Turf Wars more. It's simple and addictive and what got me interested in the game.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf wars, because it is the only mode I have played so far. As for splat zones being more competitive, is it really? I am not sure if being ranked means a mode is more competitive than other. Anyways, I am hoping to enjoy splat zones a lot, because two great and fun modes are better than one great mode.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
So far, Turf Wars seem to be more of my cup of tea. Splat Zones can be enjoyable, but I'm just not a big fan of having a small area to fight for. My mind may change sometime though. d:

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Turf War.
I don't know, Turf War seems more competitive than the competitive mode, splatzone.

Cardon

Inkling
NNID
CardonT
Splat Zones are really frustrating and more often than not I'm the guy that drags them all through it, like in Turf War. Turf War isn't as much stress by far, so I'll go with that.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Splat zones has potential, but turf war has actually come off to be more interesting to me, since you have to strike a balance of attacking and defending, and because splat zones has a few quirks with it that kind of cause problems. There needs to be a little extra given to the team trying to take the point after they lose the rollout because the defending team will always pretty much have a natural advantage. TF2 for instance halves the respawn times for the attacking team compared to the defending team, something similar for splatoon may make splat zones feel a lot more dynamic.

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
I find Turf War to be a lot more fun than Splat Zones, mostly because it just feels a lot more satisfying to be inking large areas and it feels like you're really contributing a lot more. In Splat Zones I never feel like I'm doing very much (even if I'm getting double and triple squids as a charger), while in Turf War you can always see your impact on the game even if you didn't get the most points because you weren't running an Aerospray.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
Turf War by far. I'm not the biggest fan of the kill-oriented focus in Splat Zones. I much prefer the idea of "doing my part" rather than having to rely on my teammates to not screw something up.

I've never really played any games online before except for Smash Bros and this, so maybe I just haven't ever had that sense of team work but yeah.

I don't like voice chat in pretty much anything so I'm glad that Ninty has avoided it, but I completely understand the frustrations some have at it not being there in Splat Zones. Still, I would rather Nintendo try to design forms of play around that rather than include it. Like they sort of have with the d-pad commands (at least in PAL versions)

Splat Zones isn't what I signed up for. I got Splatoon for the unique style of map control and the kill focus does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Toadie

Inkling
Both annoy me purely because rapid fire weapons are pretty much god mode on either. They put a varied amount of weapons in the game that are never going to be used in a highly competitive situation. It is a shame because I really like trying out new strats with weapons but I'm not going to bother if I'm getting ***** by JR Splattershots and Aerosprays.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
Both annoy me purely because rapid fire weapons are pretty much god mode on either. They put a varied amount of weapons in the game that are never going to be used in a highly competitive situation. It is a shame because I really like trying out new strats with weapons but I'm not going to bother if I'm getting ***** by JR Splattershots and Aerosprays.
I don't think that's necessarily true with Splat Zones. Aerosprays I can see quickly being phased out of Splat Zones actually in favor of longer range weapons like the N-Zapper, Dual Squelcher, the Gals, or any charger. As aggregate player skill increases, people will find counters to the common weapons, and the most common weapon coming into Splat Zones is the Aerosprays because of their dominance in Turf wars.

Aerosprays will have their uses, especially as a scout for blocking off entry points back to the zone, but given a few days things will balance out as people find better ways to approach the centre.

Toadie

Inkling
I don't think that's necessarily true with Splat Zones. Aerosprays I can see quickly being phased out of Splat Zones actually in favor of longer range weapons like the N-Zapper, Dual Squelcher, the Gals, or any charger. As aggregate player skill increases, people will find counters to the common weapons, and the most common weapon coming into Splat Zones is the Aerosprays because of their dominance in Turf wars.

Aerosprays will have their uses, especially as a scout for blocking off entry points back to the zone, but given a few days things will balance out as people find better ways to approach the centre.
I have started to play Splat zones and have noticed the Splatterpro being the weapon of choice, I even saw some using burst weapons! It does feel balanced however if the splatter zone is a CQB you still don't stand much chance against them.

I guess overall I would say Splat Zones, plus the insane amount of points you game is good to farm until Level 20 then maybe I'll try Turf Wars again.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
Splat zones...but that's pretty obvious huh. I much prefer the intense constant fighting. I like turf wars too, but for relaxation time.

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
If there was an actual competitive setting where we can choose our team vs another chosen team: Splatzones. But for this random matchmaking definitely turf wars, because people don't really understand the concept of splatzone yet so it is less enjoyable as it is pretty difficult to carry in a splatzone game if your team doesn't understand the game type yet.

Beariie

Full Squid
Turf war, it simply just gives more play style variety. You can be a sneak and slip into the enemy base, be a k/d wannabe and go for kills only, etc.

Drain

Inkling
I much prefer Splat Zones. I feel like it is a much more varied mode. When I play Turf War I generally just run around with an Aerospray and try to cover as much ground as possible during the match, trying to avoid enemies unless I can easily flank them. Trying to do anything other than that just nets me a lower score. In Turf War, outsmarting your opponents, playing tactically and working together as a team becomes a lot more important. Also a lot more weapons are actually useful. I feel like the game is much better balanced for Splat Zones.

I love just locking down an area and outsmarting and out flanking anyone trying to get there. But doing so in Turf War is really not something you get rewarded for except on some maps. The enemies can just go take over the rest of the map. And even on maps where that does help you win the game, you wont be rewarded for it in points since you wont be inking that much.

LuxLuxora

Full Squid
NNID
LuxLuxora
Turf War.

I don't consider Ranked Matchmaking to be ranked. It feels like its just a choice between Turf Wars and Splat Zones at this point in time. One does not feel more "competitive" than the other. Splat Zones need a larger zone to make the gameplay feel less clustered and hectic. While I take delight in the high adrenaline close combat of Splat Zones, I do not get much satisfaction at the end of the game (those additional timers are bullshit IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom