Turf Wars "Casual" Discussion

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
Should Turf Wars be frowned or looked upon as casual or should be they be looked upon and analyzed as something competitive like Splat Zones?

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I don't see why it'd be labeled as casual. While it may not be as competitive as Splat Zones, it's still got its share of it. And it certainly shouldn't be frowned upon, there are plenty of people who enjoy it more than Ranked and that's totally okay in my opinion. :P

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
If we can eventually choose our teammates in Turf Wars as well (as opposed to just joining up with friends and then randomizing everyone), then I don't see why not. There's definitely some overlap with Splat Zones in terms of general strategies, and the hard time limit can lend itself to some hype comebacks.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
eh, after playing ranked for so long it's hard not to view Turf Wars as casual. But then, it still is a 4v4 competition to see which team can ink the most turf.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Ah, would we be asking this if Turf War also could be played on Ranked?
I don't see why you couldn't view Turf War as competitive, except that you don't get a rank for it. There's certainly the possibility of strategizing and teamwork.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Mario Kart is played on a competitive level by thousands for years. Guess.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
This is of course, implying anything on netplay isn't already casual.

If you just play netplay, you're (probably) casual. Its harder to say at this point since places probably don't have scenes yet so the statement isn't as sweeping as it could be. Splat Zones isn't more or less competitive than Turf War, its just a different game mode with a little letter tacked to it.

I'm personally getting sick of people thinking Splat Zones is "competitive" (and Turf War is casual in comparison) and that rank has a meaning.

Last edited:

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
In the early days Turf War felt competitive enough to me to not call it "casual" at all. Especially Saltspray Rig is an awesome stage to play Turf Wars competitively. You tend to get way less balanced rooms in Turf War, so it probably feels more casual/random in-game than it actually is. Splat Zones require more coordinated teamwork, though.

Another problem with Turf Wars is that you have a smaller range of weapons to select from if you want to score high.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
The only reason Splat Zone is "competitive" is because it's in Ranked. Turf War is as casual as Splat Zone, and vice versa.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
In the early days Turf War felt competitive enough to me to not call it "casual" at all. Especially Saltspray Rig is an awesome stage to play Turf Wars competitively. You tend to get way less balanced rooms in Turf War, so it probably feels more casual/random in-game than it actually is. Splat Zones require more coordinated teamwork, though.

Another problem with Turf Wars is that you have a smaller range of weapons to select from if you want to score high.
Points will be irrelevant when private lobbies are released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom