• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Twitch is Going to Try to Install Arch Linux... FROM SCRATCH.

Austinuity

Inkling

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with those running this. I simply saw this and thought it looked awesome.

Arch Linux is a distribution of Linux that aims for complete user freedom and simplicity. It gives you a package manager, a command line interface, and a couple of essential packages to get you started- and that's it. There are plenty of extremely comprehensive guides to setting up a basic install, but with a Twitch chat unsure of its direction or package choices (flame wars are bound to start over even which text editor to use).

The most popular keystroke in chat will be inputted every ten seconds. For characters you can't type in chat, you can type things such as enter and backspace.

Our goal is to get it all running with a GUI, a working X11 configuration, and with the end goal of finally managing to view the stream itself in a web browser.

Sound fun? It all starts tomorrow at 9PM EST and will have giveaways after each significant milestone is completed. Hope to see you there!

Interesting Commands:

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
Deletes every single file on the hard drive. Yes, every single one.

[ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf --no-preserve-root / || echo click
Russian Roulette with the same concept as above: You have a 1 in 6 chance of wiping the computer; otherwise, it outputs a "click".

ip addr; echo 'root:root' > pfft; chpasswd < pfft
Does... weird things to the network connection...

:(){ :|:& };:
Creates a fork bomb.

IMPORTANT Commands:

emacs, vim, nano
Different terminal-only text editors. Are sure to cause flame wars amongst fans of the different types.

gdisk, fdisk
Different disk management programs. Will be vital to initial installation.

pacstrap
Will be vital to initial installation.

Ctrl + C (the keystroke, not a command)
Ends the currently running process.

pacman, yaourt
Pacman is Arch Linux's package manager. Yaourt is sort of an extended interface for pacman. I suggest you read up on them both.

I will update this page with more info as the install further progresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom