• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Two-Word Tips

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
A lot of the time, people like to give advice in long-winded rants and paragraphs upon paragraphs of words. This has its time and place, for certain, when people are seeking advice to get better at a specific thing. That said, a lot of specific and probably useful ideas can get lost in the muddle of words that many (including myself) like to flounder around in.

So, here's a thread to post quick advice snippets and an explanation for them. Format-wise that would pan out to:

[Two Words Piece of Advice]

[Explanation as to why this is something you should keep in mind when you're being inked to death or losing all your territory like a scrub]

This will give a player the ability to remember the piece of advice in the short snippet because it takes time to remember things. Anyway, that's enough of me spouting my own personal thoughts, here's a piece of advice:

Shoot Straight

Seriously, I see so many players aiming down, probably because they're getting used to the gyro controls. It is, however, more useful in all modes to aim parallel to the ground to control more area, give yourself a path to swim through after the fact, leave paths for your allies, allow you to a path backwards in the case of enemies coming from your front, allows you to see what's coming at you and thus, react faster, and ultimately win games. I feel this the first step to becoming a non-newb player.

Undr

Spread Out

Don't follow your teammates, and if they follow you alter your course.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
don't superjump

reasoning:
- puts you at an information disadvantage
- can only initiate a superjump with information that will be six seconds old when you arrive
- cannot be certain of where exactly you will jump to; large difference between sjing to saltspray lookout vs lower north but only a small difference between them
- time to mid in pure squid form is only a few seconds slower (3-4 mostly) and lets you choose your approach
- no guaranteed escape route even if you survive the jump
- relies too much on your teammate not dying and being able to secure your landing zone for you, which can get them killed or slow them down when they're trying to push

Last edited:

GreyIsSquidNow

Inkling
NNID
Greymanz
Leave Spawn

Why on earth would you spend all your time in turf inking spawn when that can be done easily in the last minute? Go fast and take over mid.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
don't superjump

(no explanation needed, really)
I'd probably say

Look, Leap

Don't superjump to autodie, when your ally is in combat with an opponent, it's not always a good idea to jump to them when they might, you know, lose. Then you're a perfect target for the leftover opponent. But yeah, I get where you're coming from.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Might need an explanation actually. Squid Launching can be crucial on certain maps.
saltspray is the only map where I'd agree with you since holding north is so strong

Tomato

Inkling
Be patient

If you walk near a teammate fighting off multiple enemies and losing, it may be best to use a sub weapon, use or charge your special weapon, or flee and find a safe spot for your teammate to jump back to, instead of walking in and fighting back alongside them. By the time you get there, they may have been splatted or have escaped, leaving you in trouble.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
(In splat zones)

Cover zone!

Seems obvious, but I see many people in splat zones covering other places in order to get their special. Seriously, even an inkstrike isn't that useful. I'm sometimes left to take the zone all by myself. Don't stop applying pressure just in order to get your special.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
*Jump Away*

I'm not sure how many people don't realize you can evade getting ambushed/attacked by using squid jump. It's possible to squid jump at anytime, not just at the spawn point. One of my signature troll moves is to plant a mine when getting attacked, squid jump to a nearby ally then listen to the sweet sound of an exploding enemy inkling.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I have three pieces of advice.

Don't die.

Take Breaks.

Stay fresh.

Alecat

Full Squid
NNID
alecatmew
Remember objective
It's often tempting to run after the enemy for a kill, but whether it be splat zones or turf wars there is frequently an objective more important than that. Keep your eye on the timer and on the scores. If a zone is neutral, make sure it's capped before you move on (especially if you'd be facing a fresh penalty for not doing so). Just because a buddy threw an inkstrike on the zone doesn't mean you capped it immediately.

Equally, sometimes it's worth being a little reckless and running in purely to ink the zone to inflict a penalty on your opponent.

Duck, weave
Splatoon's cover system is pretty damn good! While it's tempting sometimes to run forwards towards an opponent and steady up your shots as they get closer, you're better off trying to out-maneuver them and catching them off-guard by ducking into the ink and hitting them from the side or behind.

Last edited:

Gunster25

Pro Squid
Remember Rolls
Each set has certain rolls that they play much better than others. Playing an offensive, rush-down charger is extremely difficult, but that same role using a roller is very effective. To try and work out what your set can do the best and be able to use that knowledge to gain the upper hand in a fight, know your main weapon's strengths and weaknesses, how your sub weapon can be used effectively, and in which situations to use specials.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
git gud.
more seriously, just keep playing. the more you play the game the more you'll learn about it, the more strategies, etc.

Gweb

Inkling
Kills Matter

the more time the enemy stays dead, the less they can ink

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Do Single-Player. (a hyphen makes it one word, right?)
Seriously. Not only is it fun and can get you better at the game (at least Turf Wars, well it did for me), you get new weapons (the Kelp Splat Charger & Splatterscope, both Aerosprays, the Custom Splattershot Jr, and both Dynamo Rollers) and pretty good gear (replica versions of the Hero Suit gear, and Octoling gear, all with 2 slots). Additonally,
Get amiibo. (if you can)
The amiibo gear can't be bought from stores or Spyke (I tried; same with the gear you get for beating Octo Valley), so they're the only way to get some gear, all 2-slots, which you might like (the weapons are just reskins of the Splat Roller, Splat Charger and Splattershot though, kinda disappointing). Also, you get extra single-player content (just a set of the original levels and bosses with special conditions, but still), which is nice too.
Now for something specific to multiplayer,
USE BEAKONS!
Seriously, I know they don't do damage (or at least I haven't found a way to get splatted by them ye; maye if you drop them on someone?) and enemies can see them too, but they're like a super-jump point that you can Stealth Jump to anytime without having Stealth Jump gear on. How isn't that useful? And more importantly, why does almost nobody I get teamed with ever use these?
Finally,
Be Smart.
Please.
Kinda obvious, but try not to do anything really squidiotic. So don't go rushing off by yourself (especially if you're going spawncamping, that is at least a 2-person affair), don't try to spawncamp the entire match (you'll get splatted, I guarantee it, and then they get a 4v3 on your team at best), remember that you can super-jump to your teammates and your spawn point (true, I only found this out by watching Alpharad, but still), and know the maximum range of your weapon (this will save your damn life occasionally).
Also, be mindful of where grates are so you don't squid-fall through them to your death.
Which I've done.
With the Kraken.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Use Bombs

They're just fun to use :P And sometimes people accidentally run into them so yippee!

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
Think first.

Are you really going to put that beacon on your own spawn? Is that ink strike in the best place? That's a lot of enemy ink, spray it first - you might win a squid kid.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Think first.

Are you really going to put that beacon on your own spawn? Is that ink strike in the best place? That's a lot of enemy ink, spray it first - you might win a squid kid.
Have you considered that those beacons aren't just accidental? Even I've managed to accidentally open a game by placing a beacon on spawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom