Unknown Ability Icons

So, we didn't get explanations about these abilities, if I saw correctly.
Anyone care to speculate on what they could be?

Here's my observations on these abilities:

1. This one seems pretty clear, I think it will be something along these lines: "Double sub-power", a main ability only, doubles the effect of all three sub-abilities on that piece of gear.

2. I have no idea! What are all those green lines? I'm really guessing here, but maybe something to do with inkrails? [It seems to be depicting the "Game!" tape, which appears on-screen immediately when a match ends! Perhaps Last-Ditch Effort?]

3. This is clearly something in the vein of Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump, because of the dotted lines... Stealth Jump itself seems to be gone, possibly reworked into the Drop Roller ability. Some have said this could be Stealth Jump itself, since it resembles a super jump marker, but I don't think so: it's probably changed significantly if it is still Stealth Jump. Notably, when we see the map screen demonstration, this is a main ability on shoes, and is not seen on any other mains. Shoe exclusive main ability?

4. Something to do with respawning that isn't Quick Respawn or Spawn Punisher... perhaps a reworked Recon? It's not Comeback, since that's shown on this list... and, since the orange up-arrow is generally used to indicate a power-up, it probably has something to do with respawn power, but how is this different than Comeback? [Maybe Opening Gambit?]

Edit: special mention to the abilities to the left of 1 and 3:
The one to the left of 3 is clearly Thermal Ink with some tie-in with respawning, though exactly how has not been explained yet.
Is the one so the left of 1 a reworked Haunt? It has a similar icon as Haunt, albeit pink, but with a clock icon added. This one hasn't been explained yet, either, I suppose. [Confirmed to be Cold-Blooded!]

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Is the one so the left of 1 a reworked Haunt? It has a similar icon as Haunt, albeit pink, but with a clock icon added. This one hasn't been explained yet, either, I suppose.
The last one you mentioned is cold-blooded. It was briefly shown when they were explaining gear shops.
Screenshot_2017-07-06-15-48-21-1.png

The last one you mentioned is cold-blooded. It was briefly shown when they were explaining gear shops.
Indeed, nice catch!

I'm thinking 2 is Last Ditch Effort and 4 is Opening Gambit.
I just had a revelation while playing some Splatoon matches that #2's icon is depicting the "Game!" tape from the end of the match, so I think your speculation on Last Ditch Effort is spot on! Based on that, the speculation on Opening Gambit is quite possible as well! Maybe this means that #3 is a new icon for Stealth Jump after all!

Edit:

With the release of the Splatoon 2 Splatfest World Premiere demo, you can go into the menu and look at an ability guide. This confirms what all the abilities shown here are!

#1 is "Ability Doubler," which is described with "Doubles the effect of other gear abilities attached to this gear." What an intuitive icon!

#2 is Last-Ditch Effort, and #3 is Opening Gambit. Great calls, Lonely_Dolphin!

#4 is Stealth Jump. Notably, its description this time is "Hides your Super Jump landing point from distant players." It seems it may have been nerfed, so the landing point marker is still shown to enemies if they are close to it!

The ability to the left of #3 is Haunt, which seems to use Thermal Ink's icon for icon consistency now.

Also very notable is the fact that the food shop has drinks that makes gear gain more xp, and gives you a better chance of getting a certain type of ability in a sub-ability slot! Since one of the drinks is a Cold-Blooded drink, this means that Cold-Blooded is a stackable ability now! Ink Resistance Up is here too, but we already knew that was now stackable from prior information.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom