Unlocking abilities through Spyke's orders

jakeoti

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wishsong214
I know that sometimes Spyke brings you gear where the slots need to be unlocked...do they have a higher chance of being the same sub-ability as the original, though? Or are they just as random as if you'd bought them in the store?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Took me a moment to figure out what you meant. I would have guessed that they're as random as any other ways of rolling slots, and I don't think that, in my experience, I've noticed unlocked slots frequently being those which I ordered but didn't get straight from Spyke (as I've ordered several pure pieces of gear, receiving 2/3 Subs, but never gotten the full thing). Interesting possibility, though.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
The original order has absolutely no impact on the abilities you get from unlocking the locked ? slots. The amount of ? slots you get is based on the stars of the gear, so if you order 1 or 2 star gear with 3 subs and get 2 subs, you'll still need to use a snail/30k to unlock the 3rd slot, but if the gear was 3 stars, it would already have the ? slot there, and you wouldn't have to pay extra to unlock it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I interpreted the question to be... say you order :head_hbd002: :ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: and receive :ability_damage:|:ability_damage:. You then unlock its two slots (as it's a 1-star item) and level it up. Normally, there'd be a 2/33 chance to get :ability_damage: in each slot; the question is whether that's actually the case.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
When you order from Spyke the abilities associated any unlocked (i.e., "?") slots have no relation to those of the gear that you ordered, as they are determined at random at the time of purchase.

There are some nuances involved with the odds of you getting what you ordered, but basically after you get to level 16 if you order gear from Spyke with three determined sub abilities the odds governing what you actually get break down as follows:

Chances of matching 0 sub abilities: 30%
Chances of matching 1 sub ability: 60%
Chances of matching 2 sub abilities: 9.5%
Chances of matching all three sub abilities: 0.5%

Notice that in the case of an RNG miracle you can actually get what you ordered!

There's a bit more to it than this, so check out the link below if you're interested.

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Spyke

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I interpreted the question to be... say you order :head_hbd002: :ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: and receive :ability_damage:|:ability_damage:. You then unlock its two slots (as it's a 1-star item) and level it up. Normally, there'd be a 2/33 chance to get :ability_damage: in each slot; the question is whether that's actually the case.
But that's exactly how I answered it in my first sentence.
The original order has absolutely no impact on the abilities you get from unlocking the locked ? slots.
I just also added some extra information that was sort of related.

jakeoti

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wishsong214
Cool. I was mainly curious since I had ordered shoes at one point that were SWIM SPEED: Quick Super Jump, Quick Super Jump, Quick Super Jump, and then Spyke delivered me a SWIM SPEED: Quick Super Jump, Quick Super Jump, ???, and then the ??? ended up unlocking into Quick Super Jump. Guess I got lucky and shouldn't count on that for replacing other pieces of gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom