• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Unstable connection error

MrZNF

Inkling
Hi everyone, I'd be curious to get your experience on online connection stability when playing games. I just had 3 unstable connection errors in a matter of 4-5 games. I'm wondering if it's possible that it's my internet connection or not. From what I'm seeing from other devices, my connection is stable and my switch tells me I have 8MB/s+ upload & download, which should be more than enough to run Splatoon smoothly. What's the matter? Anyone had any such experiences?

Salt:
Now, I wouldn't care too much if it were to disconnect me and leave it at that. Little bit of time wasted on the one game. But every disconnect is granting me a crack in my ranked meter. Splendid stuff. Was almost at Rank A with no cracks, now after these few games I've got my A- meter reset and have to start over...
Seems pretty unfair for something I didn't have anything to do with + most of these games my team was winning D:

Edit:
Now I even got an in game warning, saying they will block me if this keeps happening! They tell me to make sure my internet connection isn't busted, but it isn't from what I can tell. What the hell :/
Anyone have any methods to test if your internet connection is Splatoon 2 playable quality?

edit2:
I did notice my signal strength for receiving my router's wifi is at only 1 bar, but I've never had issues before. Not sure what to do about it, as I can't really move the router or the switch closer to each other, and they are only 7ish meters apart to begin with. Is the Switch's receiver this bad?

Last edited:

dishwasher

Full Squid
Yeah, there's numerous people here with the same issue. As suggested, best bet would be to get USB-Ethernet cable and hardwire your switch in.

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Had that exact issue, and specific to Splatoon 2 (other Switch games and connection worked fine otherwise). My fix turned out to be both simple and sigh-inducing; I moved my docked Switch about 2 feet closer to the router. Not a single disconnect since. It's weird because in both situations, there was literally nothing that could be considered signal-disrupting near or between my Switch and the router.

Wired connection is the best option obviously, but before that, just try moving the setup around (if possible).

MrZNF

Inkling
Wired connection is currently not really feasible for me, so I'll try what Doctor suggested (thanks!) hopefully it will help :)

Edit: Actually read that the wifi signal can be disrupted by the dock itself, which is why some people cut of the front part. Not sure if really true or not, but that would be quite a big design flaw. Don't understand at all why the signal strength is sooo poor for the switch. they didn't have room for a larger antenna? :(

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
The Switch has VERY bad internet connection when it comes to actually reaching your modem/router. If this happens in games outside of the Switch, it's otherwise likely your internet.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Believe it or not but it also can be Software related, if the Signal interupts with the Router Wifi it can be an issue, i ALWAYS ask people for testing another router (brand) first, especially a 5Ghz one. If this doesnt help, then god help us all.

Source: Ive seen some ****.

Splooner

Inkling
NNID
PaulyD23
I have only had issues after the new update and they were during salmon run. Problems specifically when there were tons of npcs on the map. I have a good router and none of my other devices have had issues including my gaming rig which I run off my wifi. I disagree with the lan adapter because the switch was obviously made to connect with wifi. I miss salmon run and hope this issue gets resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom