• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

User Modes! (Splat-Racing / Hide & Go Ink)

Eve_323

Inkling
NNID
EveOfEdwin
Hi! Here are two theoretical user modes that are early in development, but show a lot of promise. Both take little preparation, and place an emphasis on squid-mode shenanigans! (getting this out of the way - yes, friend lobbies are mandatory.)

Splat-Racing:
-In this mode, designated Roller-users and Ink Brush-users will lay out a track before two+ contenders dash to the finish.
-Rollers will plot out the primary track, while Ink Brushes will supplement it with demanding, narrow deviations.
-Tracks will span from your spawn, to the "enemies" spawn.
-"Enemies" will aid construction by introducing obstacles that stall racers to a halt.
-Track will be set based on pre-existing diagram.
-Ideal maps include Urchin Underpass, Arowana Mall and Blackbelly Skatepark.

DISCLAIMER: The two+ contenders are each from the same team - this is a means of avoiding lanes, which might give one team an inherent advantage over the other on corners. Ideally, we want squids to be as tightly-packed as possible for added intensity, which just wouldn't be possible with lanes. (Question: Does anyone know if ally squidlings can clash? Does it register?)

Hide & Go Ink:
-In this mode, one looker will face against three hiders from an opposing team.
-Hiders are given one minute to hide*, looker must look away.
-Hiders are limited to one container of ink.*
-Hiders do not forfeit when they're found, they make a dash to escape from looker-fire!
-Hiders cannot shoot, steam-roll or snipe the looker.
-Hiders are excluded from participation after they've been splatted.
-Ideal maps: TBD (Saltspray Rig is a given.)

NOTES:
*One minute might be excessive, this is subject to change.
*Hiders are limited to one container of ink: Before determining their hiding spot, hiders may dot the course to lead the looker on a detour, or lay out walls of ink to stall the looker in a pinch (during a getaway, for example).

Thanks for reading! These ideas are still early in conception, but with your help we can hopefully refine them into something much better. Please be constructive - I'm open to suggestions!

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
These sound neat! My only immediate concern is the attempt to limit the amount of ink used by Hiders in the second mode. Not because I think it is a bad idea, but because ink refills even when you are not a squid so that would be super hard to track.

Eve_323

Inkling
NNID
EveOfEdwin
My only immediate concern is the attempt to limit the amount of ink used by Hiders in the second mode. Not because I think it is a bad idea, but because ink refills even when you are not a squid so that would be super hard to track.
The purpose of this limitation is to ensure that hiders don't have an unfair advantage in inking damn-near the entire map. True, we can't track it, but we could visibly tell the difference between! With that said, these User Modes operate under a certain standard of trust. They're fun little romps, so hopefully players won't get engaged to the point of feeling inklined to cheat. :rolleyes:

Niliks

Pro Squid
NNID
Niliks
Yeah I get the point of it, it makes sense. I mean it would be very hard for even the player putting down ink to tell when they have placed one tank's worth.

Eve_323

Inkling
NNID
EveOfEdwin
it would be very hard for even the player putting down ink to tell when they have placed one tank's worth.
I guess it really depends how fast your ink is replenished as an Inkling, and how fast you're laying it down. This is why I'd consider knocking the countdown down to 20-30 seconds, to minimize overall ink coverage / make things clearer for the hider.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
You may also want to ban the Point Sensor and other tracking items/abilities to balance things out in the Hide and go Ink mode, otherwise everything else looked pretty good

Eve_323

Inkling
NNID
EveOfEdwin
Yeah, I'd agree. With how much of an emphasis on stealth there'll be, Ninja Squid is probably a no-no.

Eve_323

Inkling
NNID
EveOfEdwin
Is Splatzone available in Friend Lobbies?
In the Direct it said that you could pick your own "game rules" which is what they referred to game modes as, so that's a safe bet. Either that, or "game rules" refers to time-limit/other attributes. I'd agree... But I wouldn't want it to effect my rank.

Eve_323

Inkling
NNID
EveOfEdwin

A: In a previous statement I said that I'd like to avoid lanes when possible - I'd like to refine that statement; having reconsidered the Ink Brush's maneuverability, I decided to implement lanes that are either more challenging and more rewarding, or less challenging and less rewarding to add some dynamic to a game without primary racing mechanics.

I'm working under the assumption that Squidlings can clash below the surface, which is why I was adamant about introducing lanes in the first place if it meant sacrificing that dynamic, but that isn't the case - in the spur of the moment, racers will still strive to reach the "fastest" lane first, leading to probable collisions. With that said, even if you start out on an outside lane, there's not a thing stopping you from hopping to an inside lane when you see fit! Neat, huh?

Additional explanations for B & C are on their way.

DISCLAIMER: On account of using the unparalleled program 'MS Paint', it appears that I've underestimated the footprint of both the Roller and Ink Brush. Fear not! I'm confident that most areas are wide enough to accommodate two lanes, spaced apart.

SquidBuster

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DubaloSeven
I'd be interested in the racing mode if you could actually set the game mode to racing, ala old school Halo. I think with purely player made rules it's gonna be kinda awkward.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very cool! Neat ideas. :)

Cynlet

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Guantcynlet
I like this new map, its very specific and also took less time to load :DD Can't wait for this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom