Using your 'nuke' more effectively.

jam1garner

Inkling
NNID
jam1garner
Here is my tips for using the Ink strike to its utmost ability (Feel free to contribute):

General Tips:
  • Never use it in front of an enemy (duh)
  • It is not useful for spreading ink (except at the last second) in Turf wars
  • It can be used in many ways
Purposes/Strategies:
  • Quickly taking control of Splat Zones
  • Getting in last second ink (Turf wars)
  • As a smokescreen. Since your enemies can't see through, attack through, and are damaged by your ink strike, they have no way of attacking you through your ink strike. This doesn't even have to be the primary goal of your ink strike. Basic rundown of this: Use your ink strike near you. Spot enemies and run to where the ink strike is about to land. Use your tactical advantage in order to crush your enemies.
  • Jump off a tall cliff while using your ink strike. This one takes a bit of practice but you can quickly master it. This may seems simple but involves massive amounts of multi-tasking. You have to think of the best way to use your ink strike, how you are going to follow up, where your enemies/teammates are, and you have to physically jump off and tap the gamepad at the same time. This is no game changer, but is a great optimization tool for avoiding dying while using your ink strike.
  • Don't be afraid to lose your ink strike. This is really important. Do not run away from a fight just to use your ink strike. In the end, you won't make as much radical change. This is more important in turf wars as the Ink Strike is less effective and more risky to use. The payoff is not that much, especially if you have the advantage. Running away gives up any map control and you may be followed and picked off by the enemy team.
  • Don't only think of yourself when using an ink strike. Look at the gamepad for variables such as positioning/movement of a teammate and placement of enemy ink. If you see a lot of enemy ink being placed in the center, it is helpful to try and get a kill, as their placement of ink gives away their position.
  • Take out snipers. That 1 annoying sniper is keeping your A+ 99 roller from getting to the other team. Take him out, even if temporary. Some tips with this: try to get him while he's aiming, as he can't move as fast here. If you suspect he will avoid it, don't place it centered on him, rather use it to force him to jump off, he is weak when not at his position of power. The center should be placed so he has no exit and is pushed off. (i.e. behind him, so if he tries to run while not jumping off, he runs right into an ink strike.
  • Bait. Sometimes as a mindgame, ink strike yourself so that a roller tries to get you while you fire it off, only to be blown to pieces. (Caution: very situational) This can also be useful if you accidently start aiming, and you see them rollin' (you hatin') towards you.
  • Don't take easily claimed territory while you have it fully charged. This applies to any specials. If the enemy inked your base, don't hold onto an ink strike and cover it. It is just easy money towards your special. (credit to @Ryuji)
  • Use it to trap players. Nuking behind them gives them two options: Fight you, or the nuke. This works especially well on maps with thin points and alleyways as it fills up the entire path behind them. (credit to @Mayday)
Anything else I should add?

Last edited:

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Nice tips. I would also advice not to cover the area around your spawn point in ink when you have it fully charged. That way it wouldn't waste a way to charge it up more after you've used/lost it.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I have a problem with using Inkstrikes.
I tend to get Inkstrikes in Splat Zones during firefights (I have a .52 Gal Deco, so I tend to win, albeit damaged if not splatted), and if I win that I've got another enemy or two headed for me (I can see them sometimes, other times they get the drop on me while I'm firing the missile) and I can't run away because there's generally not enough time to ink a getaway path (Seekers take too long, turning and firing away just gets me splatted from behind). In these situations, where there's about a second if I'm lucky, should I drop the Inkstrike on myself or a Splat Zone? I know they'll be nearby, so I can hopefully take them with me, and if they get splatted by the inknado they can't do anything until I'm back too, and I can't just hold on to it (going to be splatted regardless, so...), but hitting the Splat Zone is the objective, so I'm not sure what to do here.
Also, where should I aim Inkstrikes on Saltspray when my team has the top area? I want to say the bottom area because I'll cover more turf that way, but hitting the walkways could splatter someone, and it's one of the only ways to hit enemy spawn (seems like a good idea, particularly in the final seconds, but maybe not), so I dunno.

jam1garner

Inkling
NNID
jam1garner
I have a problem with using Inkstrikes.
I tend to get Inkstrikes in Splat Zones during firefights (I have a .52 Gal Deco, so I tend to win, albeit damaged if not splatted), and if I win that I've got another enemy or two headed for me (I can see them sometimes, other times they get the drop on me while I'm firing the missile) and I can't run away because there's generally not enough time to ink a getaway path (Seekers take too long, turning and firing away just gets me splatted from behind). In these situations, where there's about a second if I'm lucky, should I drop the Inkstrike on myself or a Splat Zone? I know they'll be nearby, so I can hopefully take them with me, and if they get splatted by the inknado they can't do anything until I'm back too, and I can't just hold on to it (going to be splatted regardless, so...), but hitting the Splat Zone is the objective, so I'm not sure what to do here.
Also, where should I aim Inkstrikes on Saltspray when my team has the top area? I want to say the bottom area because I'll cover more turf that way, but hitting the walkways could splatter someone, and it's one of the only ways to hit enemy spawn (seems like a good idea, particularly in the final seconds, but maybe not), so I dunno.
When playing splat zones, keep in mind that kills are very important, so sacrificing the fight just to get a nuke off is not advised. Let's say you are at the "iron curtain" between the two huge areas of one team's ink. You have just charged up your ink strike. Do you retreat back to use it, or stay in the fight? Well, first take in the variety of factors. 1. Are you currently in control of the Zone/Zones. If so, best to stay and fight, as the main use of an inkstrike in splat zones is to quickly take back the zones themselves, plus the cumbersome penalties from losing it, but if it is theirs, continue to the next factor. 2. How many teammates are fighting right now? If you are the last one, keep fighting or risk losing all stage control. If you have all 3 teammates backing you up, then feel free to squid back and nuke the splat zone, which you should run up as mentioned in my "smoke screen" tip. 3. Is your main threat snipers? If so, ink strikes will be very helpful in taking them out.

About salt spray rig. I assume you are referring to turf wars, so I will answer as such. The main thing about ink strikes is that they are almost never good for coverage. The only time I would use them for coverage is when it is the last second, in which case just nuke the middle of enemy turf. If it isn't the end of the match, chances are it will be covered up quickly, and in the time you spread using the ink strike, you would have done more by just shooting ink. On salt spray rig, I usually have the most trouble with snipers, so I use my ink strike on them. In turf wars, ink strike is much better a weapon then a method of spread.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Usually, my teammates are somewhere else, handling their firefights with varying amounts of success. It's pretty rare that I have backup, actually. Is that a sign that I'm doing something wrong?
We've generally got one zone on maps where there are two, but on maps with only one, who's got control when I get Inkstrike varies.
I don't think I'm an iron curtain very often, but I'm the only one attacking (at least where I am, on maps with multiple fronts like Blackbelly and Port Mackerel) quite a bit.
The main threat isn't generally snipers when I get Inkstrikes (when the main threat is snipers, they get me before I get an Inkstrike), it's the other guy(s) coming at me who'll kill me in one or two shots before I can ink a getaway path or splatter them.
I think I see your point though. Thanks.
And yeah, I was referring to Turf War with the Saltspray question (I just wait until I know where an enemy is and drop it on them in Splat Zones, or just guess sometimes), thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll just use the regular .52 Gal there instead, Killer Wail is much easier to get people with than Inkstrike on that one (for me, anyway).

jam1garner

Inkling
NNID
jam1garner
Usually, my teammates are somewhere else, handling their firefights with varying amounts of success. It's pretty rare that I have backup, actually. Is that a sign that I'm doing something wrong?
We've generally got one zone on maps where there are two, but on maps with only one, who's got control when I get Inkstrike varies.
I don't think I'm an iron curtain very often, but I'm the only one attacking (at least where I am, on maps with multiple fronts like Blackbelly and Port Mackerel) quite a bit.
The main threat isn't generally snipers when I get Inkstrikes (when the main threat is snipers, they get me before I get an Inkstrike), it's the other guy(s) coming at me who'll kill me in one or two shots before I can ink a getaway path or splatter them.
I think I see your point though. Thanks.
And yeah, I was referring to Turf War with the Saltspray question (I just wait until I know where an enemy is and drop it on them in Splat Zones, or just guess sometimes), thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll just use the regular .52 Gal there instead, Killer Wail is much easier to get people with than Inkstrike on that one (for me, anyway).
On splat zones, you usually should be relatively close to others. This doesn't mean you 2 are fighting the same enemy, just usually all in the same area. But glad I could (sorta) help with your salt spray rig problem. On maps with multiple splat zones, you usually won't have as much of an iron curtain, so that's normal. I find on port mackerel especially, it turns into 2 3v1s where 3 people stay at the zone near base and 1 treks on towards the opponents.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I find on port mackerel especially, it turns into 2 3v1s where 3 people stay at the zone near base and 1 treks on towards the opponents.
Yep, that's what I do, take a Seeker-ride into enemy territory (on Mackerel only, 'cause the rest of my team covers our side's zone; I just go straight to the zone(s) on the other stages) and get shot up by like 3 dudes (usually I splat one of them though, not sure that's a good trade). Probably the source of my problem too, I score Inkstrike on the guy I did splat, but then I've got the other two gunning for me and I can't run because that first firefight got rid of my getaway ink-trail. I don't even always get the missile off, sometimes I took too much damage from the first guy and get insta-splattered by the second guy.

jam1garner

Inkling
NNID
jam1garner
Yep, that's what I do, take a Seeker-ride into enemy territory (on Mackerel only, 'cause the rest of my team covers our side's zone; I just go straight to the zone(s) on the other stages) and get shot up by like 3 dudes (usually I splat one of them though, not sure that's a good trade). Probably the source of my problem too, I score Inkstrike on the guy I did splat, but then I've got the other two gunning for me and I can't run because that first firefight got rid of my getaway ink-trail. I don't even always get the missile off, sometimes I took too much damage from the first guy and get insta-splattered by the second guy.
Ah! I see your problem. A head on 3v1 is horrible. On port mackerel, the most underused part are the alley ways (the parts perpendicular to the length of the stage). They are great for sneak attacks, increasing mobility options, charging up the special, and using your inkstrike. They are also great cover, and your enemy cannot see which way you went immediately. Try this strategy for taking on the 3v1. step 1: charge up your special safely. This may not be appealing, but the ink strike is darn near perfect on splat zones. Don't forget the alleys for that extra little bit. step 2: get closer to your enemies without being seen. Step 3 smoke screen. Imagine you're a ninja. You appear from nowhere in a cloud of smoke leaving your enemies baffled. The pros of this are: you have the jump on them, smoke bombing inside of the splat zone leads to an instant capture, and any enemies there will scattered or be killed. This is what I use personally. I am never killed unless by an even firefight afterwards (almost always 1v1 with the occasional 2v2.)

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
I use it to trap players. If I'm close to an enemy, I'll use it to either make them push towards me or cut off their retreat route. Take the ink away from behind them so they can't run away, trapping them in a small area in front of you.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Here is my tips for using the Ink strike to its utmost ability (Feel free to contribute):
Purposes/Strategies:
  1. As a smokescreen. Since your enemies can't see through, attack through, and are damaged by your ink strike, they have no way of attacking you through your ink strike. This doesn't even have to be the primary goal of your ink strike. Basic rundown of this: Use your ink strike near you. Spot enemies and run to where the ink strike is about to land. Use your tactical advantage in order to crush your enemies.
  2. Take out snipers. That 1 annoying sniper is keeping your A+ 99 roller from getting to the other team. Take him out, even if temporary. Some tips with this: try to get him while he's aiming, as he can't move as fast here. If you suspect he will avoid it, don't place it centered on him, rather use it to force him to jump off, he is weak when not at his position of power. The center should be placed so he has no exit and is pushed off. (i.e. behind him, so if he tries to run while not jumping off, he runs right into an ink strike.
  3. Don't take easily claimed territory while you have it fully charged. This applies to any specials. If the enemy inked your base, don't hold onto an ink strike and cover it. It is just easy money towards your special. (credit to @Ryuji)
I only have issues/stipulations with these 3.

1. This only works if you are in the middle or the opposite side of the enemy at the time of full explosion. I have splatted enemies running into their own team's inkstrikes and I have also splatted enemies running through them towards me before its full explosion. 9/10 enemies with run FAR away from and ink strike and you cannot see through them either so I wouldnt rush out of them or you could rush into fire if their weapon range/aim is better.
  2. I never waste my inkstrikes for those unless my team is in control and 25+ more seconds in the lead with ranked and 80% of the board covered for turf. Snipers can be dealt with in other ways and avoided without too much trouble. A smart player will see the inkstrike forming and run away before it can splat them. The method only works if you assume they will go toward you off the cliff, not behind or the sides and if they dont see you before you can get to them. Your team is better off with that inkstrike on enemy ink.
  3. This one yes and no. While I agree that you should never spend a special on your base, unless 3/4ths or all of the opposing team is there for some reason. On ranked, especially the maps where there are multiple splat zones, I would ink strike my own easily covered splat zone (if not fully covered) and advance towards the enemy's zone. #1 rule for me in splatoon is "always advance". It's better to move forward and pressure the enemy than to stay by your own base or splat zone and receive pressure from advancing enemies. Sure you its easier to charge up your special on your own turf however if you send an ink strike deep into enemy territory where none of your teammates are it will be covered up in seconds.

That said I have one to add to never run away to use. I would also add to that never run away to use NOR charge. Too many times in ranked I see team members running away from the main area to charge inkstrikes that will then only be wasted once its covered up after 2 seconds because none of their team mates are near.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Work the same for all special
I know that. It's better to use it to get points and a full tank than not using it at all. One of the first points is that it's bad for spreading ink, which isn't exactly right and giving these tips to people who don't know better could give them the mindset of not using it when it's available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom