• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Vanilla mode?

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
Ever since they announced clothes that affect the players' stats, I wondered if there would be a mode where you could play without these stat-modifiers. Having crazy stats sounds fun, but I could see how this could lead to a lot of cheap or overpowered tactics that would end up making the game less fun when people exploit them. This would be especially frustrating in ranked play.

I'm pretty sure they haven't said anything in Directs or any other information release about there being a mode that ignores stat boosts from clothing. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Do you hope there's a vanilla mode? Perhaps even if this mode meant a vanilla loadout, too?

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
There has been discussion about possible LAN play. That might be "vanilla" as you say, if the stat items are limited to online. However, an online mode with no stat items would be a way to make a more competitively even match between players over the web. Will just have to wait and see if there ends up being anything like that. I know I say "wait and see" a lot on things, but I don't like to try to guess at things too much that haven't been already confirmed.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
There has been discussion about possible LAN play. That might be "vanilla" as you say, if the stat items are limited to online. However, an online mode with no stat items would be a way to make a more competitively even match between players over the web. Will just have to wait and see if there ends up being anything like that. I know I say "wait and see" a lot on things, but I don't like to try to guess at things too much that haven't been already confirmed.
So it hasn't been confirmed. I was afraid of that.

I guess I'll just hold out for such a vanilla mode, where you can still wear your outfit, but you won't get the bonuses. I think that would probably be the most fair way to play. Granted, I guess we don't know exactly what kind of effects they will have or if they will be ridiculous or not. I just like the idea of competition where everyone is equal aside from skill.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That would be welcomed. In a game where customization is a selling point, tying stats to the outfits is a very stupid design decision

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Hopefully the stat boosts don't affect gameplay too much, though they may also stack; we'll see

The main thing I'm concerned about is if a specific build will be overpowered, though I highly doubt it.

There's always the possibility of balance patches.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
Yea, there really needs to be an aesthetic slot of sorts.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I would very much appreciate a vanilla mode or at least an aesthetic place to put your gears. Basically what @Graff said. :)

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Would be nice to play where I don't have to worry about perks and stats, and can just wear whatever I want woth an equal chance against everyone else in the game.

BedBison

Inkster Jr.
Even if they don't include this in the game this seems like something they could add in an update so if it's not there at launch there may still be hope if there's enough outcry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom