• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Viability of Recon Ability

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
i was just grinding up random clothes and had a new jacket with recon, in tower control and rainmaker. It was really fun to see all the other team when deciding to super jump or swim to the front. The knowledge of where people were was really helpful in kelp dome.

I guess the counterpoint is the opportunity cost of not having something better.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
I feel like you could use Recon to great effect in some kind of Inkstrike based team composition. Being able to superjump back to base, fire off an inkstrike on top of the enemy team and jump back in seems like it could be pretty effective. Especially if multiple players on your team fire them all at once.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I feel like it's a pretty useless ability, especially if you cannot communicate with your teammates. Sure, it's nice to see what the enemy is doing, but there is so little you can do while standing on the spawn point.

Even if you were acting like a tactician, ordering your squad around, they would still be outnumbered in battle. If you want to try experimenting with Recon, go for it, but I just don't see it being viable.

D

Deleted Member

Maybe Recon could be used for a defensive player who stays out of the fray and inform teammates where everyone is.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
From my experience, Recon helps either the mostly defensive players who often stay somewhere near the spawn and jump back to it in case someone slips through the defenses (my case) or someone who constantly goes on the agression and likes to super jump right into the action (mostly since it lets you know exactly what you're jumping into); it also depends on the map, as larger maps tend to force inklings to stay away from the spawn (Arowana Mall, Hammerhead Bridge, Port Mackerel) while smaller maps allow players to make the most out of it (Blackbelly Skatepark, Walleye Warehouse). Aside of that, it might not be the best ability to have around, but I don't believe it was ever intended to be (the last thing we need is a permanent Echolocator)

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
It's only viable in two instances, the first playing for yourself and your opponents have spawn camped yours. And when an enemy is pushed up in your half of the map trying to flank your team. The other instance would be more suited to competitive teams using voice comms and then it's still not worth it. Upon death or near spawn make some quick calls for your team.

Other abilities are way more viable. Recon ability should make teams communicate in the whole game, the ability should reveal a random player through out the game.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
It's alright. It's obviously best with voice chat and a team, but I'd go for cold blooded anyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom