• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Watching your own replays

Rec0Lect

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2931-4843-3118
It is evident from other games (like smash melee) that studying and reviewing your own replays is one of the best ways to improve. In that game (melee), it's much easier to see what's going on and what different plays might have entailed. For Splatoon, it's much more complex.
What in particular should be focused on when reviewing a replay beyond how you might approach a single interaction better?

zyf_

Pro Squid
the short answer: find the moments where your team makes big mistakes that end up risking/losing you the game, figure out what part of your decision-making in particular was suspect, identify patterns of mistakes that you're making, and explore doing different things in those situations (/make educated guesses to play the situation better) until you find something that works/reduces your chances of losing

the long answer: i wrote a giant guide that culminates in answering this question (squidboards link, direct link to guide -> specifically you're looking for pillar 3)

Rec0Lect

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2931-4843-3118
Funny enough, I had that website open on my phone since like early January, I never got past the second pillar though

Setu

I'd say using the overhead map is most valuable for improving positioning. Also asking yourself if you should've taken fights where you died, and whether it was a mechanical issue or a positional issue. Overhead view is hands down the best way to review in a team setting especially, many big coaches in the scene would say the same.

SporeCloud

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3677-1552-8016
Having coached 3 teams of varying levels I can say for certain that overhead view gives you a much clearer idea of what was actually going on in a match, you get so much more context for everything compared to only watching one player's point of view, which is especially helpful when breaking down things in a team environment.
I think something that is equally as important though is translating what you're noticing from overhead into things you can actually think mid-game. Thinking about the game from an overhead view while you're actually playing it is near impossible, so you need to translate that into things you can act on in a match. Go to X location on the map, throw Y special there, avoid fights in Z area etc.

SolidAlias

Inkling
As a front liner, something I'm trying out, is skipping to when I died, and figuring out exactly how to avoid those deaths

DJWolfBot

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6247-8985-8679
It is evident from other games (like smash melee) that studying and reviewing your own replays is one of the best ways to improve. In that game (melee), it's much easier to see what's going on and what different plays might have entailed. For Splatoon, it's much more complex.
What in particular should be focused on when reviewing a replay beyond how you might approach a single interaction better?
zyf_ already made a good explanation in that you'd want to identify situations that your team wiped, there was a bad death or otherwise mistakes were made - but to add to the explanation, how can you make them better?

When you've identified portions that mistakes were made on or a potential loss was caused due to, you want to consider the options that could've been done differently. A lot of the time when I've reviewed games or player skill, it tends to be aim or movement rather frequently, which tend to be sloppy. But if neither of those aren't as problematic, then you have to extend that search to different aspects: could you have used a different route, should you have waited to use your special later or you used it too early, could you have backed away earlier or waited longer, was a certain individual called out for the team or not, did the team coordinate well, so on and so forth.

Information is your key component to finding out what could be improved, not only should you expand how much you know, but how you process the information that you've gathered. It helps in the long run when you ask questions, no matter how mundane or simple, about whatever you do or have done, improving efficiency as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom