Ways to implement Amiibo challenges for non-Amiibo owners.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
While I love this game near and dear to my heart.

The Amiibo challenges being behind a figurine wall has been a slight bother to me. May not bother me as much if it were just straight pay DLC but Amiibo aren't the easiest thing to come by. (However if there is something they did do right is making all the equipment not OP and all the weapons re-skins)

However to the topic at hand, I would really love there to be some way to unlock the challenges in game.

Here's my idea.
First off you have to complete all of Octo Valley. Upon returning to Octo Valley, Cap'n Cuttlefish will have something to say.
Upon talking to him he'll offer you some challenges.

Here's the main part, the challenges will not be unlocked from the start and you must unlock them via Power Eggs.
Each set of 4 missions (3 stages and boss, which unlocks 1 thing) must be unlocked separately, I'm thinking the cost may be appropriate at 5000 Power Eggs.
This means in order to get all gear piece for a single Amiibo you need 15000 Eggs, 20000 with weapon, 25000 for everything in a single Amiibo, and a total for 75000 Power Eggs in order to unlock all current Amiibo content.

I think 5000 is appropriate since getting the actual Amiibo will bypass the grind still making them viable and I think the grind is appropriate enough for those determined not to pay. (I chose 5000 since that's about the current amount of Power Eggs I have in Octo Valley on my game.)

Thoughts?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's not going to happen, because people keep buying more and more amiibos, so Nintendo will keep locking more and more content behind them, which means there's no reason for Nintendo to offer the locked content for non-amiibo owners, since that would affect negatively on amiibo sales. It's a shame that because of some people, others can't have access to some neat content like the mini games, challenges and exclusive outfits, but it is how it is.

Reactions: 1o2

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't mind it if Amiibos unlock minor stuff, but in splatoon's case locking sound test by amiibo is a bit too much. Honestly my biggest problem is that Amiibos quickly sell out and then you'll have to deal w/ it or get amiibos all the way from Australia or from a scalper.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It's not going to happen, because people keep buying more and more amiibos, so Nintendo will keep locking more and more content behind them, which means there's no reason for Nintendo to offer the locked content for non-amiibo owners, since that would affect negatively on amiibo sales. It's a shame that because of some people, others can't have access to some neat content like the mini games, challenges and exclusive outfits, but it is how it is.
I'm not saying this is realistic to actually happen, but I'm saying if such a thing were to happen.

Though again, the fact entire challenge modes are put behind this extremely difficult hurdle doesn't sit well with me. As I said, if it were just pay DLC I may not be as bothered but with the rarity of Amiibo, that is the main problem (hopefully supply increases or the introduction of Amiibo cards help).

I mean the gear and rewards are very trivial and honestly don't amount to too much since the weapons are all re-skins and gear in general is relatively balanced in this game and really only amount to bragging rights.

Though it's access to the challenges themselves which are important. I wouldn't even be opposed if we just got the challenges without the big Amiibo rewards.

ch0wchilla

Inkster Jr.
I'm not terribly bothered by any of the prizes the amiibo unlock. Clothes are basically just for looks, weapons just reskins (albeit nice ones), perhaps the arcade games but I tend not to play while loading now.

What does irk me a tad is that amiibo are the only way to play the single player missions with different weapons. It would be nice if they were to allow you to replay them with charger/roller after beating the final boss. Even though there would be no rewards, I'd quite like to have another go at them in different conditions and I think most people would also appreciate the little bit of replayability it'd add - for its own sake.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
The Amiibo Challenges really don't seem all that interesting, my main annoyance is that the minigames are locked behind Amiibo. I like the idea of having something to play while waiting for people to join your lobby, but Squid Jump has just become boring.

However, I do think a way to access ALL of the Amiibo content without owning them would be nice. I just don't see Nintendo doing it with the way Amiibo are selling.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I have max Power Eggs in Octo Valley and it took me about let's say 15 Hours?
And that's to get all the way to the most I can hold, what you're saying is, you'll need 25,000 Eggs to get all of an amiibo's content?
That will take about 40 Hours on average per amiibo and 120 Hours for all of them, only replaying the same 20ish levels over and over again?

That's great for some but you'll run into two major issues, First being that people will still complain that it takes way too long and it's too boring to get the content without the figures, and two, those who bought the amiibo on the promise that's it's "exclusive content" will feel robbed are less likely to purchase from Nintendo in the future. Some of those people buying amiibo from scalpers because there was no other way to get them soon enough.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I have max Power Eggs in Octo Valley and it took me about let's say 15 Hours?
And that's to get all the way to the most I can hold, what you're saying is, you'll need 25,000 Eggs to get all of an amiibo's content?
That will take about 40 Hours on average per amiibo and 120 Hours for all of them, only replaying the same 20ish levels over and over again?

That's great for some but you'll run into two major issues, First being that people will still complain that it takes way too long and it's too boring
to get the content without the figures, and two, those who bought the amiibo on the promise that's it's "exclusive content" will feel robbed
are less likely to purchase from Nintendo in the future. Some of those people buying amiibo from scalpers because there was
no other way to get them soon enough.
As someone that is well versed in the ways of MMOs, that was partially purpose of the Power Egg count being daunting. That and the idea that it would unlock something that was previous behind a pay wall. Trying to make it potentially free without making the purchase of the Amiibo completely void. As I said, as someone versed in MMOs this pay for the easy route is something common. This was my mentality when coming up with the idea, buy an Amiibo, get all the missions unlocked immediately, don't and you'll have to deal with it the long route.
Sorta like how Amiibos unlock the ? Mushroom costumes in Mario Maker but all the costumes can be unlocked via 100 man Mario runs.

Though I do see your points.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I used to be a major Free-to-Play MMO gamer and I'm used to way they screw you over if you don't pay.
Because of those games, I actually enjoy grinding. And I understand the feeling of not being able to not get
the item right in front of you and you have the cash, but you can't buy it for a reasonable price. That happened
to me so many times in those stupid MMOs with those cash lotteries.

And trust me, I wish Nintendo either made more amiibo, or make those cards already for people like you.
Where all you want is the content and all you have to do is buy a very cheap card.

Last edited:

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara

Unfortunately, this is true. Very, very bad form by Nintendo, in my view, but they bloody well went and did it anyway. I consider it an atrocious business practice, as this industry goes. Even "freemium" stuff doesnt irk me as much as this. At least if you want THAT badly enough, you can get it whenever you want. You dont have to go on a series of wacky misadventures to FIND it.

I just refuse to support the damn things. I bought 5 of them when the things first released, but then THIS started happening more and more.

Normally, I love buying figures of characters I like alot. But not this time. I'm considering not just selling them, but outright simply giving them away to someone, such is my hate for the damn things now. Not like I need the money anyway. I'd regret losing the Bowser figure in particular, since he's a favorite character of mine and I've never seen another figure of him, but.... yeah, I just hate the Amiibos way too much because of this crap.

I blame Activision for this, for coming up with the Skylanders concept that led to this. If I could bring their stupid company crashing down, I'd not hesitate to do so. I doubt I'm the only one, either.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I would rather they use Super Sea Snails alternatively, giving them a secondary function of acting as unlock tokens for Amiibo Missions. More incentive to join the Splatfests and win...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom