We Can't Judge Balance Yet

Kelkador

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Pushinator
We have no idea what is good yet through the limited playtime on a tiny part of the game. Hell, we can't judge balance completely even after a full month passes because there is no precedent for a game with objectives like this. In a game like Melee, there was little to no foundation on how to build a competitive scene, so the estimated tiers of characters that were considered to be awful (Jiggs) or good (Mario), were sometimes wrong in the first tier list. In a game like Splatoon, we don't know which weapon is the next Little Mac, or which one is sleeper OP. The fact is we won't know until the game actually comes out and is played for a while, then we might have an outline of what competitive play looks like.

TL;DR If I see one more Roller OP post on Twitter I am going to eat my dog.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
We have no idea what is good yet through the limited playtime on a tiny part of the game. Hell, we can't judge balance completely even after a full month passes because there is no precedent for a game with objectives like this. In a game like Melee, there was little to no foundation on how to build a competitive scene, so the estimated tiers of characters that were considered to be awful (Jiggs) or good (Mario), were sometimes wrong in the first tier list. In a game like Splatoon, we don't know which weapon is the next Little Mac, or which one is sleeper OP. The fact is we won't know until the game actually comes out and is played for a while, then we might have an outline of what competitive play looks like.

TL;DR If I see one more Roller OP post on Twitter I am going to eat my dog.
Whoever says roller is OP just doesn't understand the game. Makes me sad when I hear that.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
The reason i think rollers are so good is because of how unused to the aiming system we are in Splatoon. I found myself struggling to splat an enemy who had a roller simply because i couldn't even hit the player. Meanwhile, all he had to do was run into me. I think after a few days of playing we will all adjust to the mechanics of the game and work out balance issues.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
The reason i think rollers are so good is because of how unused to the aiming system we are in Splatoon. I found myself struggling to splat an enemy who had a roller simply because i couldn't even hit the player. Meanwhile, all he had to do was run into me. I think after a few days of playing we will all adjust to the mechanics of the game and work out balance issues.
Yeah, you just gotta find that right sensitivity. I tend to have it around 1.0-1.5 ish. Before, I had it at a much higher rate, at around 3,0, and I couldn't really hit anything.

Felstag

Inkling
NNID
Felstag
Whoever says roller is OP just doesn't understand the game. Makes me sad when I hear that.
My thoughts exactly, I struggled taking out rollers in the first test fire, but by the last one, when I saw a roller I was like "Oh! Free kill!".

The ambush "pop out of the ink and one-shot you" thing was a little annoying though...

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
I honestly think that Rollers could be the easy-to-use but easy to get rid of weapon. They're useful in close quarters and can spread lots of ink, sure, but I was getting rid of them left and right. They're beginner friendly, but I can't honestly think of them as over-powered weapons in the least bit unless you're terrible at the game and can't aim with any weapon that doesn't have ADS.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
whoever says rollers are op has played like... 1 round of the game

it's basically the pyro from tf2. at first you think its really op, but then you play for a few hours, and find the elusive, mysterious, FORBIDDEN tactic...
backpedaling and shooting

anyway yes, we've only gotten to see how 4 loadouts interact with each other for only 3 hours. it's not representative of the final product we'll be playing, but it was very promising. if the entire game is as balanced as the test fire was (it probably won't be, but i think very weapon will have its checks and counters) we'll have a very interesting and fun meta to develop.

Shirma Akayaku

Pro Squid
NNID
Toadette75
I always see people complain about the roller. It's not difficult to fight against unless they sneak up on you. I always tell others, "Rollers may be intimidating when they're near, but if you keep you cool and get all your shots, it'll be easier from there on out."

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I've only played an hour of the game and at the start it seems like the Roller is OP but after s few matches I just stayed on higher ground and sniped them one by one.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I've only played an hour of the game and at the start it seems like the Roller is OP but after s few matches I just stayed on higher ground and sniped them one by one.
it's not OP at all. you can react to all of their advances perfectly fine. if they're running at you, just backpedal and shoot. if they're ambushing, be careful turning corners and make use of the 180 degree turnaround by moving backwards and tapping y. everything they can do, you can do something about.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
it's not OP at all. you can react to all of their advances perfectly fine. if they're running at you, just backpedal and shoot. if they're ambushing, be careful turning corners and make use of the 180 degree turnaround by moving backwards and tapping y. everything they can do, you can do something about.
Yeah, it isn't. Thanks for the tips.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
[Insert obligatory rant about the Paint Roller being OP here]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom