We must find names for maps spots

Gold-skyward

Inkling
Hello Squids !

I'm Gold-skyward, a French fan of Splatoon and Nintendo.
Today, I decided to give names to spots in the maps.

I have already done that : http://www.noelshack.com/2015-19-1431263957-map-names.png
I've been helped by people on a French forum.

I'm doing the second map of the demo : http://puu.sh/hIehA/8f9ab9c29f.jpg

And I want to know your opinion, thanks to all of you that help me.

I'm doing that because I think Splatoon could be a great competitive game as CS is, and CS has names for his spots. So wa shall name our spots you know ?

Good luck and Have fun,

Gold-skyward.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
For Walleye Warehouse I feel like we could use a few more named spots. I suggest calling the route south of Defense A and north of Defense B the Backhall, referring to its frequent usage for backdooring and narrowness. You could also split it into Upper Backhall and Lower Backhall to be more precise. Sniper Crates for the two crates on each end you can use for sniping, Sniper Crate Defense for the one closer to the spawn point and Sniper Crate Offense for the one further from it. Not sure how I feel about the A/B variations, I'm not sure it works on Walleye Warehouse as well as it does on Saltspray Rig.

Of course I feel like we should let the names come around naturally as we discuss strategies for each stage. Over in the Squad Composition thread we used Top Platform and Bottom Platform instead of High Square and Down Square for example, I can see both of those remaining in use post-launch since it's very obvious which part of the map they refer. But some of these are probably going to stick, Connector and Crossroads are nice names that fit those locations.

Gold-skyward

Inkling
Yes I know it will come by start discutions. I give a prototype and I know it'll change.
I did the same with the other map and it's finished : http://www.noelshack.com/2015-19-1431272124-encrepot-names.png
It's the same, I know it'll change.

I did that because every Splatoon Community have to be connected, I mean in some weeks or years I don't know, there will be a map like that with official names and we must begin right now. And you know, it's hard to explain what we want to mean in a vanilla map of Splatoon !
So, I will participate in strat discussions. Make the change you want in these maps, they're here because of that !

And about the A/B variations, I think it's the best way, we can't use the colors and the two sides are the same.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't feel this is necessary but I suppose it is useful for team play. :p

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Most squads will come up with thier own names when practicing for scrims, but most places do have a naming convention. Using one or two syllable words so the information is cut down for faster transmission, key phrases for certain scenarios, like "2 in mid". Other shooters usually have areas where weapons spawn, so that would be used too, though you'd have to get more creative with Splatoon.

Boasting Toast

Inkling
NNID
BoastingToast
I've never been into competitive shooters, but I know that callouts are extremely important in competitive play. Good stuff.

Gold-skyward

Inkling
Thanks, but as the first said, callouts will change, and I posted them by knowing they were going to be changed.

Knightlitespeed

Inkling
NNID
Knightlitespeed
I'll lend a hand as much as I can, since this sounds like an interesting and possibly entertaining endeavor.

First off, I'd recommend not labeling things as A and B on a symmetrical map. It works in something like Counter Strike because there are obvious differences in the routes and layout (as well as the fact that the letters are painted all over the place on the maps themselves), regardless of what side you're on. For a symmetrical map, it may be easier to describe these places with other labels, since it could be confusing depending on your side.

An alternative would be to call them "Our Grate" or "Their Grate" depending on who has easier access to the area, or with colors (which could get confusing if the enemy has taken over your area or vice versa).

This may not end up being an issue at all if players are able to easily differentiate which side they're on and can adjust their call-outs accordingly, but I could see this possibly creating a small amount of confusion.

As for the rest, though a few of the call-outs may have to be abbreviated, it's a great start. Hopefully we can be more specific once we have our hands on the game.

Last edited:

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Thanks, but as the first said, callouts will change, and I posted them by knowing they were going to be changed.
I hope you don't mind, these are some callouts I made. They are more common callouts that you see in shooters so they work well and can be understood clearly and spoken quickly.
upload_2015-5-13_19-34-40.png

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
I'm a fan of the term "zig-zags". I'll probably end up using that one. Heheheheh.
Its used in black ops 2 competitive on the map "Raid" so i can't take the credit on that one. Almost all of those callouts are used widely in competitive shooters

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I'm guessing that squads will all probably have their own naming conventions, and eventually the more popular terms will become more used by more people, until we get a more or less agreed upon lexicon. It's a natural process. For instance, I'm not really a fan of some of the ones proposed above, so maybe I'll convince my squad to use ones that I'm more comfortable with.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
I think what you've labelled as Wing could be Grate Corridor and the walkway across from the Grate Corridor could be the Straight Corridor.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I think what you've labelled as Wing could be Grate Corridor and the walkway across from the Grate Corridor could be the Straight Corridor.
First of all, those are very easy to mishear. Second, it's pretty important that they are short, simple names. Grate Corridor and Straight Corridor both have 4 syllables while wing only has one.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
First of all, those are very easy to mishear. Second, it's pretty important that they are short, simple names. Grate Corridor and Straight Corridor both have 4 syllables while wing only has one.
Grate Path and Straightway then?

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I mean, in the end it just comes down to personal preference and what your squad agrees on. I was just giving some feedback.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

here's some improvements i've made of the callouts (borrowing from tf2 terminology)

your callouts for rig were sort of generous; the maps arent that big and just specific names for areas instead of something like "alley a" and "alley b" are more recognizable

your callouts for warehouse were the exact opposite but i think it was just incomplete. mine isn't amazing but there's a lot of straightaways, give me a break :p

i labelled mine with terminology that's immediately recognizable and more spread out, which is more practical for actual matches going on where you just want to get to the point when using voice chat with your team

labelled warehouse with the prefixes spawn, half, and mid to signify elevation

didn't label the second half since the maps are symmetrical and you could always say "our catwalks" or "their slope." sounds crude but it works for other team based games, and it can work for us

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
To my knowledge call outs are very important in competitive 'shooters'. This is a great way to start finding the names for important spots like sniper towers, raised flooring and straightaways.

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
I think that's a really good idea
If it trends and everybody uses it, it's going to be very useful
If we had gamchat it would be even better, then we could describe our loaction or the loaction we want people to know about without struggling on looking for details about it so people can understand what we're talking about

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
To my knowledge call outs are very important in competitive 'shooters'. This is a great way to start finding the names for important spots like sniper towers, raised flooring and straightaways.
pretty much every team based competitive game has callouts

tf2, counter strike, every moba you can name, etc all have callouts for their maps and its very, very useful

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom